Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,730 times

Advertisements

New Spain refers to the area extending from California all the way into Central America, with Mexico City being its capital.

Were most settlers from the southern region of Spain such as Andalusia, or were they from all over the Peninsular Kingdom?

I am reading about Mexican history, specifically about when the country was divided into territories and was called New Spain during the early 19th century.

There are territories named

Kingdom of New Galicia
New Vizcaya
New Kingdom of Leon

And i was wondering did settlers from those regions of Spain, such as from Galicia, Basque, and Leon actually settle there?

I know a lot of Cubans are descendants from the people of the Canary Islands, not all of them, but a lot of them. Is there a specific region for Mexico? If so, I was wondering from where did Spanish settlers of Mexico came from?

I heard about Asturia, but i am not sure.

Its just so interesting and yet i have no clue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 PM

836 posts, read 2,947,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
New Spain refers to the area extending from California all the way into Central America, with Mexico City being its capital.

Were most settlers from the southern region of Spain such as Andalusia, or were they from all over the Peninsular Kingdom?

I am reading about Mexican history, specifically about when the country was divided into territories and was called New Spain during the early 19th century.

There are territories named

Kingdom of New Galicia
New Vizcaya
New Kingdom of Leon

And i was wondering did settlers from those regions of Spain, such as from Galicia, Basque, and Leon actually settle there?

I know a lot of Cubans are descendants from the people of the Canary Islands, not all of them, but a lot of them. Is there a specific region for Mexico? If so, I was wondering from where did Spanish settlers of Mexico came from?

I heard about Asturia, but i am not sure.

Its just so interesting and yet i have no clue
They were from all regions of Spain and Portugal. The name of the regions were in honor of those in Spain, not because the settlers were from there.

An interesting point is that the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Santo Domingo and Cuba were once part of the New Spain.

You should consider that during the Spanish civil war thousands of Spaniards were received in Mexico as refugees and many of them were from Asturias, Galicia and the Basque Country, so it is common that many Mexicans are recent descendants of them and not from the conquerors.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:21 AM

205 posts, read 520,161 times
They were not from all regions of modern Spain, only from Castile.
America was the exclusive property of Castile and only Castilian harbours could send ships to America, such a fact lasted until 1715.
Castile included all Spain acept Aragon (modern day Catalonia, Aragon, Valencia and Balearic Islands).
The very first people, the Conquistadors, were from Extremadura, nowdays a autonomous territory, also from Western Andalusia.
Recent immigration, such as the one going to Mexico, Cuba and Argentina during the last 150 years was majoritarily from Galicia, Asturias, Santander and Basque Country (Northern Spain) and also from the Canary Islands.
From 1715 on, Catalan were allowed to send ships to America, and they traveled there in large numbers.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Can you trace your ancestry back to Spain?

Old 08-08-2013, 03:51 AM

205 posts, read 520,161 times
Yes, but I'm from Spain, I can trace my ancestry up to the 17th Century...a real pain to go beyond 1824 because you have to look up at church records, parishes, etc....and many records were burned and destroyed by Napoleon troops, amortización, riots, wars, invasions, mice, humidity, etc.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:57 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
They were from all regions of Spain and Portugal. The name of the regions were in honor of those in Spain, not because the settlers were from there.

An interesting point is that the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Santo Domingo and Cuba were once part of the New Spain.

You should consider that during the Spanish civil war thousands of Spaniards were received in Mexico as refugees and many of them were from Asturias, Galicia and the Basque Country, so it is common that many Mexicans are recent descendants of them and not from the conquerors.
Yes Philippines was once ruled by Mexico during Spanish occupation and was ruled for 250 years.

Some words in the Philippines are similar to Portuguese, it depends where in the Philippines like in the Visayas, soap is Jabon while in the capital it is Sabon which is quite similar to Portuguese " Sabao" .
Also, tea in the Philippines is not " té" but Cha " which is also the same in Portuguese. It always makes me wonder if it's Galicians who were in the Philippines before because of some words that are similar to Portuguese. I know this doesn't really have anything to do with Mexico but just thinking maybe Galicians were also the early settlers in Mexico since Philippines was under Mexico before.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:02 PM

485 posts, read 2,244,867 times
I thought most of the Spanish conquistadors were from Northern Spain such as Galicia and Austurias. My last name Maldonado is originally from Galicia. I don't know if I may have ancestry from there since Spaniards baptised and christianized the indigenous people, giving them Spanish names and last names.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:14 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,311 times
Most conquistadores were from Extremaduras and Andalusia, as well as Canary Islands... as well as the first settlers. That's why none of us have the penninsular 'c' or 'z' (close to the english th), and we don't use vosotros.

As far later migration, it was from all parts of Spain

Old 11-21-2013, 04:42 AM

3 posts, read 13,707 times
No, later immigration came from North/Northeast of Spain, the rest if Spain was too poor. At least, in Northern Spain they could sell a cow to puerchase the boat fare, plus they had a grapevine in those countries.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:57 AM

346 posts, read 646,841 times
You can see some of these patterns in last names.

Basques are well represented in places like Chihuahua and Sonora. The Basques often have very distinctive surnames. Some are quite common like Aguirre and Guevara, but others are very distinctive like Arizmendi, Echegaray, Echevarría, Garibay, Ugartechea, Yturria, Yturralde, or Zubiate. Where those names concentrate reveals a Basque presence.

In northeastern Mexico, and South Texas, many people have names like Garza, Hinojosa, and Cantú...some may be from Converso influence.

Interestingly, Catalan names seem to be rare, so that might be the one part of Spain that had relatively little influence on Mexico as a whole - unlike Cuba or Cuban American areas for instance, where many people have Catalan names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico