Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 12:57 PM

1,248 posts, read 824,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
You are already at a great disadvantage when you move to Germany. Your thinking, your great exaggeration/concept of the facts - and paranoia - already have you at odds with the German culture and thought. You may just want to immigrate to Russia and start to work for Putin instead. I suspect you already are.
Don't worry, I know how the Germans think, and I know better than to judge them for their thinking. I leave it to the Yanks to judge - they still believe Germans are all Nazis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 01:00 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Don't worry, I know how the Germans think, and I know better than to judge them for their thinking. I leave it to the Yanks to judge - they still believe Germans are all Nazis.
You seem shockingly ignorant of both Germans and Americans.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You seem shockingly ignorant of both Germans and Americans.
NOLA101, are you the German guy who emigrated to Portugal?

You see, even if I am really shockingly ignorant of Germans (and I do not deny it, it may well be that I am), I am very much willing to learn. In fact I am sure once I actually move to Germany and partake in its political milieu, some of my opinions will change. However the fact that Americans are the spreaders of societal rot, is not ever going to change. Americanism is a disease, you see?

Old 04-26-2016, 03:29 PM

291 posts, read 277,414 times
Germany is the most Americanized place in continental Europe as the country was rebuilt and occupied by the Americans for 50 years. If you're moving to Germany to escape American style "societal rot" you are probably going to be disappointed.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:33 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
NOLA101, are you the German guy who emigrated to Portugal?

You see, even if I am really shockingly ignorant of Germans (and I do not deny it, it may well be that I am), I am very much willing to learn. In fact I am sure once I actually move to Germany and partake in its political milieu, some of my opinions will change. However the fact that Americans are the spreaders of societal rot, is not ever going to change. Americanism is a disease, you see?
As an American, I'm sorry you believe that, out of everything one would dis-like about us our culture was last on my list, oh well.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:01 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
As an American, I'm sorry you believe that, out of everything one would dis-like about us our culture was last on my list, oh well.
The thing is he is talking about 'global culture' and simply blaming it all on America! For example does he seriously think 'trashy TV' is exclusively American!! lol

Old 04-27-2016, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The thing is he is talking about 'global culture' and simply blaming it all on America! For example does he seriously think 'trashy TV' is exclusively American!! lol
Of course it is not exclusively American. It's just that Americans come up with an idea first, and then they export it to the rest of the world. And it's the same way with everything else.

The notion that employers have the right to snoop around in your Facebook or other internet posts and hire or fire you based on those posts (when I was job hunting last year I encountered this for the first time in my life in my own country. I tore up the snooping employer's application and threw it into the trash).

The notion that kids as young as 3 can be diagnosed with "disorders", be put on meds and have a label stuck to them for the rest of their life.

The notion that children should be kicked out as soon as they are 18, and that living peacefully with parents after this age is something to be ashamed of.

The idea (also called feminism) that men and women should be in a state of perpetual war instead of learning to lovingly relate to one another.

And so on and so forth - lots and lots of things. Basically the USA comes across to me as a very cold, loveless, hedonistic and self-absorbed society, in spite of all the talk about charity and about Christian love. This forum only strengthens this impression of it. The average American perceives other people as merely a nuisance. And of course hedonism and selfishness are to some extend present in every society in every country, even the most socially-minded. It's just that Americans are constantly achieving ever higher levels of it. And then exporting their achievements all over the world.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
Germany is the most Americanized place in continental Europe as the country was rebuilt and occupied by the Americans for 50 years. If you're moving to Germany to escape American style "societal rot" you are probably going to be disappointed.
Yes, and it makes me angry every time I think of it. But I am not moving to escape anything. I am moving because I love Germany, because I found most of the things that could make me happy there. And the things I love are those that are distinctly German, even down to the language itself.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:07 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
I really don't think it's fair that US citizens are blamed because the Germans, inexplicably, glommed on to David Hasselhoff. I did think Russians were fond of hairy chests though.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:15 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Of course it is not exclusively American. It's just that Americans come up with an idea first, and then they export it to the rest of the world. And it's the same way with everything else.

The notion that employers have the right to snoop around in your Facebook or other internet posts and hire or fire you based on those posts (when I was job hunting last year I encountered this for the first time in my life in my own country. I tore up the snooping employer's application and threw it into the trash).

The notion that kids as young as 3 can be diagnosed with "disorders", be put on meds and have a label stuck to them for the rest of their life.

The notion that children should be kicked out as soon as they are 18, and that living peacefully with parents after this age is something to be ashamed of.

The idea (also called feminism) that men and women should be in a state of perpetual war instead of learning to lovingly relate to one another.

And so on and so forth - lots and lots of things. Basically the USA comes across to me as a very cold, loveless, hedonistic and self-absorbed society, in spite of all the talk about charity and about Christian love. This forum only strengthens this impression of it. The average American perceives other people as merely a nuisance. And of course hedonism and selfishness are to some extend present in every society in every country, even the most socially-minded. It's just that Americans are constantly achieving ever higher levels of it. And then exporting their achievements all over the world.
Like what exactly? What have the 'Americans' come up with that is so damaging to people in Germany?? Cold loveless, hedonistic and self-absorbed, perceiving other people as merely a nuisance!? Could be describing the Nazis there couldn't you? Or do you blame the holocaust on the 'Americans' too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe