Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 09:25 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,939,135 times

Advertisements

Living in Switzerland ruined me for America and its lousy work culture - Vox

Quote:
She looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language and went right back to her pitch: long commute, full-time, no benefits. No way, I thought. Who would want to do that? And then it hit me: Either I had become a completely privileged jerk or my own country was not as amazing as I had once thought it to be. This wasn't an unusually bad offer: It was just American Reality.
I've only visited; lovely place and people, but the article seems right inline with what a friend of mine went through as well. Lived and worked out there for a few years, came back to the US and damn near fell into a depression at his new reality. We've got to get with times here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 10:16 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,688,988 times
Sounds great, don't get me wrong, but there has to be a catch for some people?

What's the cost of living like for housing and such things?

Is Switzerland in general tolerant or intolerant of immigrants?

Old 07-16-2016, 01:33 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,971,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

About 30% of Switzerland's population was born abroad, in the US its 13%. 500 million people in Europe can also freely move to Switzerland if they want, no restrictions.

Switzerland receives about 20 times as many asylum seekers as the US relative to its population.

What is the catch? Sure cost of living is high, but so are wages, poverty is low, people are happy and the Swiss actually elect people for office who serves the people, as strange as that sounds. Not the donor class! When that happens, amazing things can happen. Huge numbers of Americans are very submissive of wealth and power though and fear the consequences of standing up for themselves and their interests.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:09 AM

674 posts, read 609,451 times
I lived and worked in Geneva for 2 years. Beautiful place, clean, efficient, and the natives are very law-abiding. After the mid-1990s there was an influx of Eastern Europeans due to refugees from the Balkans war. I personally saw and experienced more petty crime then, though it's still very low by US standards.

The catch is a horrendously expensive COL. While most companies adjust your pay upwards, it's still not enough. If I had lots of money, that's where I'd retire.

Although I don't live there anymore, I still read the Geneva press online. I've noticed an increasing amount of xenophobia among the Swiss. Not only is it directed at folks who look "different", the frontaliers (French folks who live in France but work in Switzerland - Geneva is only a few mins away from France, by car) are much resented, too.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:31 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,794,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post

I've only visited; lovely place and people, but the article seems right inline with what a friend of mine went through as well. Lived and worked out there for a few years, came back to the US and damn near fell into a depression at his new reality. We've got to get with times here.

If the worker is so disgusted, then they can 2 things, work for the change (Instead of whining in an article) or.....

Old 07-16-2016, 02:53 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,327,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post

If he's happier there maybe he should try to go back (not being sarcastic).

The people in power don't want to "get with the times here".

Old 07-16-2016, 03:37 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,939,081 times
Nice article and informative. The difference I see is the population number and their needs. Country size and the terean also a factor to look at.

Say you have 5 people waiting at a bus stop....easy on and a easy off at your stop. Increase the n umber to 20 people and now there is a pushing to get on while others are trying to get off.

Triple the number like I experienced in Mexico City with the Metro and a disaster is in the mental mode.

Now with the influx of the middle eastern people and their living habits the Swiss will soon be crying a river.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 07-16-2016 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 07-16-2016, 06:06 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,971,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
If the worker is so disgusted, then they can 2 things, work for the change (Instead of whining in an article) or.....
Isnt work for change what she is doing? By raising awareness in order to get people to vote for people that represent them, and not the big money donor class that dont care about workers?

Old 07-16-2016, 07:27 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,610,575 times
Most of what she says holds true for most of the western world. Americans are crazy about being seen to be at work. The horror of part time work is so weird. No one at home believes me when I tell them my only two choices are full time work or no work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Nice article and informative. The difference I see is the population number and their needs. Country size and the terean also a factor to look at.

Say you have 5 people waiting at a bus stop....easy on and a easy off at your stop. Increase the n umber to 20 people and now there is a pushing to get on while others are trying to get off.

Triple the number like I experienced in Mexico City with the Metro and a disaster is in the mental mode.

Now with the influx of the middle eastern people and their living habits the Swiss will soon be crying a river.
Have you ever used public transport? The biggest problem they face is getting enough ridership to justify more frequent service, but more frequent service is needed to attract higher ridership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

No, there's not a catch. The reason Americans put up with their system is the rah-rah-USA! stuff which has conditioned them to think it's some sort of privilege to be at work all the time, eat lunch at your desk, take no holidays, etc, etc. Literally every other first world western country works harder, spend more time outside of work and has significantly better quality of life. Just look at how many people on city data rave about how wonderful America is without ever having lived and worked overseas or often even travelled overseas or read about how different systems work.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:45 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,905,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
About 30% of Switzerland's population was born abroad, in the US its 13%. 500 million people in Europe can also freely move to Switzerland if they want, no restrictions.
What percentage of the Swiss are white?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe