Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 09:48 AM

27 posts, read 19,019 times

Advertisements

OK, so I am looking for a country where to raise a family, have children and assimilate fully into. I'd gladly (re)learn the local language as I don't feel comfortable living in a place without knowing the local language.

I adore French culture but my French is quite rusty. Therefore I would need an *English-speaking job* for a start until I'm comfortable enough with my French (I used to take Biology, Chemistry and History in French for a year in high school, but I've studied my Bachelor and Master degrees in English). On the other hand, Slovaks speak a somewhat similar language to mine and apparently there are more English-speaking jobs in Bratislava (so I will have time to study and learn the local language). Moreover, Slovakia is close to most European capitals, so it's good for tourism. I especially like the close proximity to Budapest. Price of living is quite high in France and Slovakia seems safer.

Would you recommend France (I enjoy the Bordeaux region the most) or Slovakia for long-term life as an expat? I couldn't find enough jobs in Bordeaux for English speakers. Thing is, I would like to work with people and around people, and be a manager of some sort. Before that I might be into social media marketing until I grow up in the profession. I have a Communication degree and a degree in Business.

Do you think France is too difficult to get accustomed to? I think Slovakia has the benefit of being more similar to my home country, but being more developed and less pro-Russian. I would like to find a place where to work and settle down, a new place to call "home". I value being down-to-earth and I prefer not to discuss unpleasant things like politics. I love nature, hiking, hot hatch autos, children, dogs, cats and the whole domestic thing. I like jobs where you meet lots of different people. I was a data entry clerk so I know working alone is not for me.

Last edited by xoxox88; 01-22-2017 at 10:03 AM..

Old 01-22-2017, 10:17 AM

140 posts, read 151,731 times
Bratislava would be great location. I asume you are Ukrainian or Serbian based on what you said. Language should be no problem for you, after few months you will understand everything and even would be able communicate. Also you would be seen here positively- we like slavic people-if you have job and try to learn language you will make friends very quickly.

Bratislava is great city, there is very low unemployment here and how you said English speaking jobs. Vienna is 40 minutes by car, Budapest or Prague would be also close.
In other slovak cities there are not so many options, but with some luck you can also find decen job/build career in other larger cities in some multinational corporation, but Bratislava has just more such jobs than rest of the country combined.

Speaking about your hobbies-Slovakia can be interesting with mountains and nature.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:24 AM

Great, but I wonder how you can meet new people in Slovakia (and France). I'm a morning person so I feel like crap if I stay up too late. Therefore the club life is not preferable to me. Can you meet new friends in other ways like through jobs or hobbies? Where I live now most people seem not really open to meeting new people, they only stick to those they know from before. And here most people meet friends in clubs.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:34 AM

140 posts, read 151,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxox88 View Post
Great, but I wonder how you can meet new people in Slovakia (and France). I'm a morning person so I feel like crap if I stay up too late. Therefore the club life is not preferable to me. Can you meet new friends in other ways like through jobs or hobbies? Where I live now most people seem not really open to meeting new people, they only stick to those they know from before. And here most people meet friends in clubs.
You can definitely make friends in work. I would say language is important, but it depends on which type of company you will work/there are some large global corporations operating in Bratislava with many foreigners so English would be the common language in such team of colleaguess.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:11 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,288,333 times
If you speak a bit of French I don't see why you could not get better, especially if you live there. Most people in France have passable english knowledge, some very good, and if you speak a bit of French people will appreciate you a lot more, it will be a signe of openness.

I don't know the city of Bordeaux at all, but the area is nice and has a nice standard of living although I think it is a relatively isolated area. If you like the sea and outdoor stuff it should be pretty cool, and Spain is not too far, nor are the pyrenees. It also has a pretty mild climate overall, really cold days (like now) are rare, and summers are warm and pleasant without being too hot.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:34 PM

Maybe I should apply to job offers in both places and let luck lol? One friend suggested I take part-time (~3 months) jobs in both places and see where I like it more and then decide.

Anyone know what is a typical Slovak dish? What is Slovak cuisine like?

Old 01-22-2017, 02:22 PM

Slovakia seems a bit less Western, i.e. more "exotic" which I like. But not too Eastern like the Balkans (frankly, I don't dig the Balkans, too exotic for normal living IMO and way too corrupt/uncultured). Less diversity than France, but more security.
I presume Slovakia has more corruption than France, but I would also face less discrimination based on my E.E. background I think? I will struggle with the language at first and they're not used to foreigners, which could be an obstacle, but can be good, as I will be kinda exotic for the opposite sex LOL. I like the sea, but Danube is cool, too. I mean as long as there is enough water, I don't care whether it's a sea, a lake or a big river as my home town has only small rivers.

When it comes to my friend's suggestion of trying both places, I don't know whether I'll like moving that often. While I like moving, the whole thing of packing and unpacking is bothersome and stressful to me. All I know now is, all things considered, Slovakia seems like less of a culture shock. And their capital is quite small, which is a plus (so fed up with 1+ million cities, yet I want to live in a capital or a cultural center). Bordeaux is also somewhat smallish compared to Paris, it has that smaller city feel.

Both Bratislava and Bordeaux have beautiful acrhitecture, are river ports and are close to big rivers. Both of them are on a somewhat hilly-to-flat areas. If Google Street View can be trusted both look more relaxed than say Paris. And both see less toursists than Paris/Nice/etc. or Vienna/Prague/Budapest, so less annoyances with tourists. Really, both look very attractive propositions compared to the usual suspects.

Last edited by xoxox88; 01-22-2017 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 04:32 PM

51 posts, read 32,257 times
I will look at Slovenia, best kept secret in Europe and almost everyone speak English or some other language. Capital Ljubljana is gem.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:24 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astiskovski View Post
I will look at Slovenia, best kept secret in Europe and almost everyone speak English or some other language. Capital Ljubljana is gem.
Does Slovenia have the highest English language proficiency in Eastern Europe?

Old 01-23-2017, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astiskovski View Post
Nope, it's beautiful, but it's too earhquake-prone. I think Ljubljana was almost destroyed by one like Skopje, no? I don't care about floods, winds, etc., it's earthquakes I dread the most from all natural hazards. Both Central Europe and France are safer than the Balkans and Italy. I am still recovering from the shock I had when the big one from 2012 hit... I would go there as a tourist, but not live there long-term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe