Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 05:29 AM

419 posts, read 343,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcitizen View Post
Greece is obviously European Mediterranean nation. The distinction between Europe (Greece) and Asia (Anatolia) was made by Ancient Greeks.
Fixed, we don't need to start the same discussion again, mutual understanding, which requires how natives perceive themselves and how most of foreigners perceive them, is the only way to gain knowledge, otherwise we can start the good old endless dialogues

I will also disagree about this distinction. Ancient Greeks separated themselves from the east, but they equally separated themselves from barbarian Europeans as well. The real east vs Europe distinction was the result of many factors before the development of Islam, but its peak was the development of islam and the establishment of "Christian Europe vs Islamic near east"

Last edited by Giannis; 04-19-2019 at 05:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 05:40 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
Anyone who has been to the near east or middle east and Greece would never confuse the two. Greece is Southern European but still European in every sense.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:36 PM

83 posts, read 71,254 times
Greece, Albania, Montenegro and Croatia are fine Balkan Mediterranean nations as they are on Balkan peninsula and have access to the extensions of Mediterranean sea such as Adriatic, Ionian, Aegean.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:13 PM

In a Geographical sense yes. I obviously didn't mean Geographically. From other aspects that i was talking about, Montenegro and south Croatia are Mediterranean, Albania not

Last edited by Giannis; 04-20-2019 at 05:25 PM..

Old 04-20-2019, 06:02 PM

54 posts, read 26,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
In a Geographical sense yes. I obviously didn't mean Geographically. From other aspects that i was talking about, Montenegro and south Croatia are Mediterranean, Albania not

Why wouldn't Albania be Mediterranean?

Old 04-21-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor herself View Post
Why wouldn't Albania be Mediterranean?
It's a country which combines "continental" European traits with non-European, as it's a predominantly Islamic country. You hardly see things that you find in more steteotypical Euro-Mediterranean countries like iberia Italy Dalmatia Montenegrin coasts etc

I hope you already understand that i don't mean geographically

Old 04-21-2019, 05:28 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,183 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Don't mean to stir a controversy but everytime I go to a Greek Festival, alot of the music, food, dance, drama, etc seem to be more of the middle eastern variety rather than European, but what are your views? please share? do Greeks view themselves as Europeans or Middle Eastern?
Greece is European, it's Turkey that is more middle eastern.

Greece and Rome were where Europe's great early civiisations.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Greece is European, it's Turkey that is more middle eastern.

Greece and Rome were where Europe's great early civiisations.
Turkey is middle eastern, and i can't understand why is it discussed here

It's also sad that everything that doesn't look German or Scandinavian is "middle eastern" or "Asian" etc

I have seem similar comments about all southern Europe, most of eastern Europe etc

Last edited by Giannis; 04-21-2019 at 05:48 AM..

Old 04-21-2019, 12:31 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 10 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Open to the next door neighbors with Turkey land border wise, or even Egypt maritime claims, then Greece is winding up way infinitely further harmonious in alliance to Middle East. Sadly with unknown reason, Greece is too overly xenophobic to the other exotic alien too far out. Cruise out on the Mediterranean over to Cyprus, and there is a mix better together with Israel/Turkey/Lebanon. At that point, no other choice, and the entire ethnic demographics are within those others. Cyprus is undeniably Middle Eastern(An island that used to be part of Greece to a varying degree that became a separate federation),while Greece is southeastern European Balkan. Even Romania, Bulgaria are further pro-Middle Eastern compared to Greece! Modern and not just ancient civilization.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
while Greece is southern European Mediterranean
Fixed

Guys do yourself the favor and visit Greece once in your lifetime, visit Athens, peloponnese, visit santorini, galaxidi or nafpaktos, visit monemvasia or Rhodes, visit corfu or Chania and then come here to talk about what Greece is.

I will agree about Cyprus, being surrounded by the middle east it can not avoid the specific influence. And to be fair it's also genetically closer to Lebanon than to Greece. But even Cyprus, is too European for a country which has no border with other countries than turkey or Lebanon and Syria. It's much more European than, let's say, turkey , which has borders with several European nations

The funniest part is about the "alliance part", as we are already allies with Egypt, and as for turkey, hostility in 99% of cases comes from the other side, we rarely are hostile. We rather support a future Turkish EU membership (even though that looks somewhat impossible)
You do not have the right to call us "xenophobic" the same time that we have saved thousands of "exotic aliens" like you call them, and still host them the same time that others, and especially central-Eastern Europe Eastern Europe and balkans reject them

Last edited by Giannis; 04-21-2019 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe