Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 05:45 AM

837 posts, read 1,256,696 times

Advertisements

Why has Greece been officially classified as a developed country and [Greek] Cyprus as a developing country, despite Cyprus having a higher per capita income than Greece? Because Cyprus is much smaller, or because Greece but not Cyprus has been a charter member of NATO? Or is it a matter of classifying Greek and Turkish Cyprus together, with Turkish Cyprus being much poorer than Greece or Greek Cyprus? Or is it one of those "accidents of history", in which Cyprus was colonized by the Venetians and then the British, whereas Greece became independent in the 1820s after being controlled for a few centuries by the Ottomans?

In addition, Israel (just like Cyprus) has had a substantial Arab/Islamic as well as Jewish population, and Israel/Palestine was a British mandate and, before that, a part of the Ottoman Empire. Plus, Israel was not too long ago (4-5 decades ago and more) a poor(er) country, and Cyprus and Israel have similar per capita incomes (though Israel's is slightly higher). And yet Israel has been officially classified as a developed country since the 1980s or even before, while Cyprus has been officially a developing country at least until 10-20 years ago. Why the difference there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 09:00 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
It would really help if you could give a source for that classification. The World Bank says Cyprus is a high-income economy, the IMF says it's an advanced economy, it is in the 'very high development' group in HDI...

Old 11-17-2016, 10:59 AM

Because in a map from the Canadian International Development Agency from the early 1990s that I have, Greece and Israel are labelled "developed" while Cyprus is labelled "developing".

Old 11-17-2016, 12:47 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Because in a map from the Canadian International Development Agency from the early 1990s that I have, Greece and Israel are labelled "developed" while Cyprus is labelled "developing".
Don't use 20 year old data from an agency that doesn't exist anymore. During that time Cyprus was not even part of the European Community/EU. A lot has changed since then.

I just quickly glanced on the current HDI list and Cyprus is listed as a 32nd most developed country, with Greece ranked 29th and Israel 18th.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Don't use 20 year old data from an agency that doesn't exist anymore. During that time Cyprus was not even part of the European Community/EU. A lot has changed since then.

I just quickly glanced on the current HDI list and Cyprus is listed as a 32nd most developed country, with Greece ranked 29th and Israel 18th.
First of all, it's 26-year-old data (looked up the map just now).

I'm now thinking that in answering my own question, perhaps a key difference between Greece and Israel, on the one hand, and Cyprus on the other hand, is that Cyprus was a member of the non-aligned movement whereas Greece and Israel weren't. Although that does bring up another issue, because both Cyprus and Malta were members of the non-aligned movement until they joined the EU in 2004, and yet in the 1990 map, Malta was marked as "developed" but Cyprus as "developing".

I'm also thinking that another difference is that Cyprus was recovering from a more recent event that just absolutely devastated the country's economy (the 1960s-early 1970s civil war followed by the 1974 invasion by Turkey prompting the partitioning of the island into Greek and Turkish sectors, with their attendant refugee flows), whereas the Greek civil war and the Israeli war of independence were in the late 1940s. (Israel did have the Six-Day War in 1967 and the Yom Kippur War in 1973, but I don't think that either was as devastating to the Israeli economy as the events in Cyprus culminating in 1974 were to the Cypriot one.)

Old 11-17-2016, 03:34 PM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Map from early 1990?? That's 25+ years ago...

Here is 2014 classification:
https://she.mumc.maastrichtuniversit...sification.pdf

Old 11-17-2016, 06:37 PM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Map from early 1990?? That's 25+ years ago...

Here is 2014 classification:
https://she.mumc.maastrichtuniversit...sification.pdf
...I hope this is a joke. Freakin' Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania, Poland are developed economies while Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan are developing?

Old 11-17-2016, 06:51 PM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Hmmm... indeed. Very strange.

But back to OP question - lets see a list of developing countries
https://www.isi-web.org/index.php/re...ping-countries
Cyprus isn't on the list.

Last edited by elnina; 11-17-2016 at 07:03 PM..

Old 11-18-2016, 02:47 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
...I hope this is a joke. Freakin' Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania, Poland are developed economies while Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan are developing?
hahahaaa.

Singapore's per capital GDP (PPP) is higher than every European country other than the micro-state Luxembourg, more than twice that of France or the UK and it is a developing economy.... on the other hand Bulgaria hardly beats Mexico and Azerbaijan and qualifies as developed.

If Singapore is a developing economy, than I guess the British are pre-industrial?

Whoever developed this ranking must be a European who knows nothing about the rest of the world

And it lists Taiwan as "Taiwan province of China" if you pay attention.

I have to check the date as it shows 2014, but it feels like to be from 1984.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:17 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I followed the link and that is not what it says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe