Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 09:43 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Then it becomes pretty clear you should move back to the US -where everything comes in large packages with cheaper prices. Not even worth debating here.
Yes, as soon as someone with "Dakota" in his name joined the discussion, I knew the discussion was in trouble, lol! It's like comparing apples and oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 09:52 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, as soon as someone with "Dakota" in his name joined the discussion, I knew the discussion was in trouble, lol! It's like comparing apples and oranges.
So now we learned something. Comparing Europe with America isn't so easy. People that like to eat oranges should eat oranges, and people that like to eat apples should eat apples. But why do the apple-eaters put themselves in a moral superiority and think they are more clever than the orange eaters?
Europe is not for everyone, neither is America. Everything is a trade-off between this and that. And according to this, you can make your decision.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:38 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
My wife is European. We talked about moving to Europe many times, but after visiting and such forth. We decided that maybe down the line we would retire there after we see how current global matters unfold there. America is not Europe and Europe is not America. A lot of dutch and Germanys I talked to there wanted to move to America. The politics are not the same neither is the culture. I do believe Europe is becoming more globalized though and is slowly losing some of its cultural touch it once had.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:40 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Lol, just because I am living in Europe, was born in Europe (Sorry, I do not feel like proving this by sending you my passport copy or whatever) it does not mean that I have to think "European".

Yep, I want to have a big house and a big car, or several if possible. Of course those are on the markets, but extremely unaffordable compared to the US. You do not want a nice car or a nice home, which is fine for me, I do not care about other peoples dreams. Stop thinking for other people and just live as YOU want to live, without judging about other peoples dreams, okay? That is the mindset why still more people move from Europe to America than vice versa, now and hundreds of years ago. You can live your dream with less limits.

You are pushing me in a corner where I have to defend my decision where I am living, how I am living, what kind of newspapers or TV channels I am watching or not and even if my dreamlife does suit you ? Why do you care about that? The topic was, why may people move from the US to Europe or not. I described why I would NOT do that, if I had the choice.

You are critizising that I am generalizing too much, fine, may be correct, but at the same time telling us that in America its "everything about getting and spending money" and implying that people are not interested in travelling, experiences or leisure time? C'mon.
You don't appear to be living in Europe, as a 5-minute conversation with an European would prove many of your points wrong.

I'M not pushing anyone to spend their money in a certain way, it is YOU! "Blah blah I want a mega house and 3 V8 muscle cars, and stupid Europeans don't understand that this is THE right way to go".

Old 12-31-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You don't appear to be living in Europe, as a 5-minute conversation with an European would prove many of your points wrong.

I'M not pushing anyone to spend their money in a certain way, it is YOU! "Blah blah I want a mega house and 3 V8 muscle cars, and stupid Europeans don't understand that this is THE right way to go".
Nope. It is not THE way to go. It is MY way to go. Please feel free to spend your money the way YOU want. I just want a government and circumstances that support the dreams of its citizens, regardless which way they chose. And I prefer a place without some moral instance telling me what is better for me or the world, or what I need or not.

However which of my points can you prove wrong? Prices of cars or housing? Statistics about how many people go to America from Europe or vice versa? Any facts?

Old 12-31-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Nope. It is not THE way to go. It is MY way to go. Please feel free to spend your money the way YOU want. I just want a government and circumstances that support the dreams of its citizens, regardless which way they chose. And I prefer a place without some moral instance telling me what is better for me or the world, or what I need or not.

However which of my points can you prove wrong? Prices of cars or housing? Statistics about how many people go to America from Europe or vice versa? Any facts?
And your way to go is accepted. But as the view isn't prevalent in Europe, you probably realise that you have to pay more € for it.

I think environmental protection is essential. It should be to you as well as you just a few posts ago praised the nature of the US. Pollution, climate change, destroying forests, forcing species into extinction etc is a real issue.

Your points about Merkel, the refugee crisis, rape in Europe and so on seem to be very stereotypically Fox News stuff. Ok, you might live in some alt-right bubble, but I would assume that a person living in Europe is better informed of stuff happening here.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
But as the view isn't prevalent in Europe, you probably realise that you have to pay more € for it.
See, now we come to the core of the problem. In other words, in Europe, you have to face issues if you are not sharing the prevalent view of the things. Even if you may not be openly discriminated against, government finds a way to push you in certain direction. In America, this is not as extreme, from my experience.

Quote:
Your points about Merkel, the refugee crisis, rape in Europe and so on seem to be very stereotypically Fox News stuff. Ok, you might live in some alt-right bubble, but I would assume that a person living in Europe is better informed of stuff happening here.
Well, I am making those statements just because I am living in Europe and experience the stuff happening here every day. I have seen Fox News maybe for a maximum of 30 hours in my whole life. I do not really care about American news broadcasting, but did you ever watch it? Seems another kind of sterotype of the stupid, fat, white, uninformed, Fox News watching, gun loving, pickuptruck driving American redneck, hm?

Old 12-31-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
See, now we come to the core of the problem. In other words, in Europe, you have to face issues if you are not sharing the prevalent view of the things. Even if you may not be openly discriminated against, government finds a way to push you in certain direction. In America, this is not as extreme, from my experience.
Wrong. Free market bro, free market.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:41 AM

749 posts, read 856,581 times
Quote:
Lol. I love nothingness though.

Nobody NEEDS 3 cars. But I want. That is the European way of thinking - you do not ask what people want, but you define what people "need", without even asking them. People need a 50 square meter apartment, an econobox style car with maximum 60 HP, some food but not more than 2 or 3 times meat per week, right? Reminds me of the Soviet Union or GDR.

I have lived both in the countryside and in big cities, currently in Dusseldorf, Germany, but grown up in a smaller town. Yep, I took the train to commute every day for work and education, years after years, and I hated it every day, due to delays and cancellations, strange douchebags, lacking air conditions, lack of flexibility, and many other reasons, but the car was just too expensive with an average income at that time. I am so happy that nowadays I do NOT have to trake that train from hell anymore.
In European countries people are free to have 3 or however many cars people can afford to own. No law prevents people to buy huge mansions in the middle of nowhere to enjoy plenty of space, if they please and have the cash for it. In regards to landscape diversity, if you equate Europe to Germany well no you are not going to get nearly as much variety as in the whole US. However Europe stretches from Polar circle Laponia to Southern Portugal beaches, that looks pretty diverse to me. The only thing Europe lacks compared to the USA is deserts.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:58 PM

560 posts, read 599,733 times
Quote:

Well, I am making those statements just because I am living in Europe and experience the stuff happening here every day. I have seen Fox News maybe for a maximum of 30 hours in my whole life. I do not really care about American news broadcasting, but did you ever watch it? Seems another kind of sterotype of the stupid, fat, white, uninformed, Fox News watching, gun loving, pickuptruck driving American redneck, hm?
Not really.

Its just a matter of supply and demand the same way it works in the US.

For example, French door fridges that are a dime a dozen in the US and can be had as low as 600 dollars in Europe cost 2000 or 3000 dollars.

European skinny fridges can be had as low as 300 dollars, the standard 24" width and tall ones (usually 78" high). They are smaller in capacity to US fridges - 12 cubic feet vs 20+ of US French Doors.

However, here in the US trying to find a european style fridge, when you find one, the lowest price you can find is 1500+ dollars !! Its simply a dynamic of the market. LEss economies of scale which makes the appliance more expensive even though it's smaller and uses less materials! And believe me I have looked over ALL and everywhere for european style fridges.

Its normal that a V8 car or whatever may be it, is going to be more expensive in Europe or the things you are accustomed in US that may not be a staple in europe that you will pay for it, since its a matter of supply and demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe