Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following applies to you?
I am strongly motivated to move to the U.S. for better economic opportunities. 8 9.30%
I might consider moving to the U.S. for better economic opportunities. 14 16.28%
I would not consider moving to the U.S. for better economic opportunities. 64 74.42%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 07:47 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,601,585 times

Advertisements

There is very little here outside of sublimating yourself in a career, and if lucky ripping financial benefits which, btw, will not buy so many things making life enjoyable. Alas entire world is flushing down the same toilet. A few Germans I knew loved American property laws, if you are a born recluse and have some cash US laws would allow you to create a private escape, in underpopulated areas restrictions will be minimal. Germans I knew hated sorta communal land access laws back in Germany, and they feel great in no trespassing/no public access environment USA offers. I wanted to look up a link to an artcle about a mummified German immigrant spending 6 years undiscovered in her American home, but after looking for a while I found way more links to the mummified in privacy of their homes Europeans in Europe. So I guess world is getting smaller.

Last edited by RememberMee; 02-09-2017 at 08:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I live in a subdivision in a small town and from the air i reckon it looks like the one in your picture. Sociopaths??? Wow that is harsh. I really don't believe that y'all have no subdivisions in Europe. People who live in neighborhoods like this are just regular people. They work, play, raise kids and live thier lives, no different than the rest of the western world.
The "space" we talk about has nothing to do with yards and houses, it has to do with the open country we have here and how we enjoy it. Americans love the outdoors, we hike, fish, hunt, camp, ski, etc. I also think Americans value rural living more than Europeans do as well. Maybe it's because our cities are not as cool as yours are, but whatever the reason we are just different from Europeans in that way.
I suspect you don't particularly like our country and in a free society you have that right. in spite of the fact that it seems we are universally disliked as a nation we get tons of people wishing to immigrate here every year. I guess they are willing to risk turning into "sociopaths" by living in a typical American neighborhood.
It is just too bad you need to drive far to get to that open, from dawn to dusk, country. And even then there are fees and permits involved. Otherwise if one doesnt have a sizable chunk of property, he will feel like a caged animal, land access laws are very restrictive compared to Europe, public space is virtually absent in many areas, a step to the left is trespassing, a step to the right is loitering. On the flip side Americans dont know any better, so they feel what they've got is the best.

Last edited by RememberMee; 02-09-2017 at 08:07 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 08:15 AM

14,349 posts, read 11,742,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
It is just too bad you need to drive far to get to that open, from dawn to dusk, country.
How do you know how far he lives from open country? Can you walk to actual wilderness? My neighborhood looks somewhat similar to your photo, if you zoom in on just the residential area. I live in a small tract house on a tiny lot. But in less than 10 minutes I can walk to a huge wilderness park with mountains, trees, trails, etc., where deer, coyotes, foxes, bobcats and even mountain lions roam. It's free. I'm in there twice a week. And, in the other direction, I can walk to a large variety of shops and restaurants. And I'm half an hour's drive from the beach. So please don't jump to conclusions about how all suburban Americans are like caged animals.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:27 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,837,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
You guys created the EU and Romania and Bulgaria joined it in 2007. They have free right to movement that you guys wanted and are currently trying to punish UK for voting to restrict it.

Yet when you have the homelessness, you try and deflect it by saying "well, they are not from my country".

You can't have the cake and eat it too. Have to take the good with the bad and accept responsibility for it.

BTW, I agree that homelessness and poverty is sad to see in a rich country, whether they be USA, France or Italy.
Of course they are free to move, but the EU is not a federal state where social security is collectivised. The fact that there's Roma tent villages in Spain, France, Germany, Finland, Sweden and so on are not an indicator that the system sucks in those countries. The semi-nomad Bulgarian and Romanian Roma are Bulgaria's and Romania's responsibility, not France's or Finland's. If you are homeless and have a French or Finnish passport, then it's our responsibility.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
How do you know how far he lives from open country? Can you walk to actual wilderness? My neighborhood looks somewhat similar to your photo, if you zoom in on just the residential area. I live in a small tract house on a tiny lot. But in less than 10 minutes I can walk to a huge wilderness park with mountains, trees, trails, etc., where deer, coyotes, foxes, bobcats and even mountain lions roam. It's free. I'm in there twice a week. And, in the other direction, I can walk to a large variety of shops and restaurants. And I'm half an hour's drive from the beach. So please don't jump to conclusions about how all suburban Americans are like caged animals.
I was not talking suburbs, most definetely population centers offer restricted access to parks while having a multitude of for profit private entertainment. What is lacking - genuinely public space, basically one has to pay to be there subject to location specific restrictions, some places are worse than others. But proverbial country and small towns are brutal even in that pay per stay regard. To see how caged you actually are you have to be low on cash. I still remember driving my gf around Detroit suburban metro after dusk just to find a place to park, have a walk, chat, things like that, impossible, it is either outright illegal, or you have to shop, eat, buy, or cops will be on your back. And yeah, what passes for wilderness in MI I knew was subjected to cash fee, even abandoned land alonside railroad tracks repurposed as a county "park" charged $3 per car 15 years ago. Nope, just walking into the remaining wilderness would be illegal in one way or another most of the times. That is where you'll find signs like "state/federal property - no trespassing". And most of the desirable propery in the populated states is private.

Last edited by RememberMee; 02-09-2017 at 09:04 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 09:04 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,026,516 times
Yeah, a free country.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I still remember driving my gf around Detroit suburban metro after dusk just to find a place to park, have a walk, chat, things like that, impossible, it is either outright illegal, or you have to shop, eat, buy, or cops will be on your back. And yeah, what passes for wilderness in MI I knew was subjected to cash fee, even abandoned land alongside railroad tracks repurposed as a county "park" charged $3 per car 15 years ago. Nope, just walking into the remaining wilderness would be illegal in one way or another most of the times. That is where you'll find signs like "state/federal property - no trespassing". And most of the desirable property in the populated states is private.
Sounds nothing at all like where I live. Though, to be fair, the government does try to get money out of you when they can. There are plenty of places to park and go for free--if you know where they are. If you're from out of the area and have no idea, you're probably going to end up in a paid parking lot at the beach, for instance.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:41 PM

9,473 posts, read 10,823,063 times
Quote:
I also live close to an area like that, and I am about 30 miles from a very large national park. (Smoky mountain NP) I just don't have cougars...... you must be out west. Too many people have unfounded stereotypes about our country. They don't understand it so they judge it and cut it down.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I also live close to an area like that, and I am about 30 miles from a very large national park. (Smoky mountain NP) I just don't have cougars...... you must be out west. Too many people have unfounded stereotypes about our country. They don't understand it so they judge it and cut it down.
Yes, California. I've never felt like a "caged animal" in my life, nor have I been guilty of trespassing or loitering. It's annoying that people look at one tiny zoomed-in photo and make assumptions about a huge country based on it.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:50 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,026,516 times
Quote:
Yes, California. I've never felt like a "caged animal" in my life, nor have I been guilty of trespassing or loitering. It's annoying that people look at one tiny zoomed-in photo and make assumptions about a huge country based on it.
Do not be discouraged, so judge about all countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe