Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 2,977 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am seriously thinking about moving to the Netherlands in a next year or so and trying to do some research before I make my final decision...
My most concern is I CANNOT SPEAK DUTCH! Is it a big issue? I know like 90% of people there know english but what about the paperwork(doctors, insurance, job hunt) signs, books, tv etc..?
I'm not afraid of learning (after all not even english is my native language) it's more about at the beginning, communication, finding friends stuff that bothers me. Any thoughts on that? From foreigners coming to Netherlands... Or is there an area mostly inhabited by english speaking people?

Also I want to live in a warmer climate after living for six years in England but as I am reading more and more, looks like it is not too much better over there... or is it?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 04:53 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
I can attest the climate is hardly different than England. The language is hardly different either.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:45 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris91 View Post
Hi all,
I am seriously thinking about moving to the Netherlands in a next year or so and trying to do some research before I make my final decision...
My most concern is I CANNOT SPEAK DUTCH! Is it a big issue? I know like 90% of people there know english but what about the paperwork(doctors, insurance, job hunt) signs, books, tv etc..?
I'm not afraid of learning (after all not even english is my native language) it's more about at the beginning, communication, finding friends stuff that bothers me. Any thoughts on that? From foreigners coming to Netherlands... Or is there an area mostly inhabited by english speaking people?

Also I want to live in a warmer climate after living for six years in England but as I am reading more and more, looks like it is not too much better over there... or is it?
Thanks
If you want a warmer climate then Netherlands is not the best option.

Btw, Eindhoven, Breda and Maastricht have pretty warm summers, for Dutch standards obviously.

About the English well, you can get a job maded for foreigners and for EU members. So if you're from England quick up and apply to a job because if you will become a non EU member you will need lots of things to have a job in Netherlands, now is just come and work.

For almost all of jobs within NL you need to know Dutch, at least intermediate Dutch, with only English you can only achieve a temporary job for foreigners within an agency (and if you are very good they maybe can maintain you in that job) or if there is a specific needing for high qualified workers like a specific Engineer or programmer in Amsterdam, but you will need very high studies and experience.

About the paperwork, unless a few things, most are just in Dutch. Although you can translate them for a cheap price, or even free with your phone lol. But if you come with a temporary agency they will do anything related to bureaucracy. For the police, medics, etc you can handle it at 100% just with English (not for apply to a job in the police or in the health, I mean to talk with them).

Signs, books, tv, anything are 98% Dutch. It's something obvious btw it's our language. That doesn't mean that 95% of the people on the street doesn't speak English. Practically all of people knows English, at least from low-mid to high. Even the immigrants know English, as most learned it in the school. About the signs don't worry, traffic signs are very similar to the UK, and about the written ones finally you will know what they mean after seeing them many times. And with a fast Google Translate search with your phone you can translate anything you want. At least is latin script, it's all intelligible.

Bikes have also traffic signs. So take a look at this:

Old 04-05-2017, 02:23 AM

4 posts, read 2,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
If you want a warmer climate then Netherlands is not the best option.

Btw, Eindhoven, Breda and Maastricht have pretty warm summers, for Dutch standards obviously.

About the English well, you can get a job maded for foreigners and for EU members. So if you're from England quick up and apply to a job because if you will become a non EU member you will need lots of things to have a job in Netherlands, now is just come and work.

For almost all of jobs within NL you need to know Dutch, at least intermediate Dutch, with only English you can only achieve a temporary job for foreigners within an agency (and if you are very good they maybe can maintain you in that job) or if there is a specific needing for high qualified workers like a specific Engineer or programmer in Amsterdam, but you will need very high studies and experience.

About the paperwork, unless a few things, most are just in Dutch. Although you can translate them for a cheap price, or even free with your phone lol. But if you come with a temporary agency they will do anything related to bureaucracy. For the police, medics, etc you can handle it at 100% just with English (not for apply to a job in the police or in the health, I mean to talk with them).

Signs, books, tv, anything are 98% Dutch. It's something obvious btw it's our language. That doesn't mean that 95% of the people on the street doesn't speak English. Practically all of people knows English, at least from low-mid to high. Even the immigrants know English, as most learned it in the school. About the signs don't worry, traffic signs are very similar to the UK, and about the written ones finally you will know what they mean after seeing them many times. And with a fast Google Translate search with your phone you can translate anything you want. At least is latin script, it's all intelligible.

Bikes have also traffic signs. So take a look at this:
Thanks for the reply!
I'm Czech so still in the EU luckily.
I dont want a temporary job, I want to actually live there. Are there jobs where I could do with very little dutch and mainly enlish? Hospitality or warehouse jobs etc..? I will study before I go surely (but how much can one learn not being with the natives... ) and would atend like a college or something while there to at least do basic communication and try to find a friend who would also help me at the begining. That was kinda my idea but not sure if it would be possible if I cant even get a job

well with the weather, I am in Edinburgh for few months now and Im just fed up with the all time gloomyness. Its so depressing. Also I love to play hockey but cannot tell you how many times a game had to be cancelled due to FROZEN PITCH. Im not looking for tropical weather just something mild/warm would do me!

Old 04-05-2017, 02:31 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris91 View Post
well with the weather, I am in Edinburgh for few months now and Im just fed up with the all time gloomyness. Its so depressing. Also I love to play hockey but cannot tell you how many times a game had to be cancelled due to FROZEN PITCH. Im not looking for tropical weather just something mild/warm would do me!
It's not gonna be much different in the NL. The May-September period is a bit warmer and sunnier, but you won't notice a difference rest of the year.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:55 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,356 times
Easy. My gf lives in NL for 3 years now and hardly speaks any dutch, because everyone including supermarket cashiers, authorities and colleagues do speak english very well. University lectures are in english anyways.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:35 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,380,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Easy. My gf lives in NL for 3 years now and hardly speaks any dutch, because everyone including supermarket cashiers, authorities and colleagues do speak english very well. University lectures are in english anyways.
That's sad, i honestly don't understand people that migrate to another country and doesn't learn the language. Don't mean to offend you but i can't grasp the concept of immigrating(temp or not) and not trying to learn the host country's language, specially when is a easy language.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:25 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
If you are determined to learn Dutch, you will be fine.

But eventually remember you will HAVE to learn in order to be part of the city and have a real experience.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:11 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
That's sad, i honestly don't understand people that migrate to another country and doesn't learn the language. Don't mean to offend you but i can't grasp the concept of immigrating(temp or not) and not trying to learn the host country's language, specially when is a easy language.
Yeah, somehow true. I also never understand people who move to another country without learning the language. I mean, one gets lazy if people speak english so very well. Plus, during the weekends she usually doesn't stay there and most of her colleagues are university people who anyways speak english to each other. I mean, she is working as a professor for asian economy, moved there quite spontanously due to a job offer, usually her contact with people outisde of university or friend groups is very limited. She is planning to learn dutch but always busy ^^

From a climate perspective, NL is not really much better than UK. Maybe you should move to Malta or whatever.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,259,576 times
In order to get a job you have to learn Dutch for like 99% of the jobs. Without at least basic knowledge of the language you just wont get hired.

In private life you can last a long time with English because everyone speaks good English. But not for ever. Eventually people expect you to speak Dutch and will be annoyed with you if your here for like four years and still don't speak any Dutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe