Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 12:01 AM

526 posts, read 376,773 times

Advertisements

But exists this European Union?? Why whenever that there is a problem every country thinks only for itself...Why these politicians continue to lie? Why when we speak of migrants the European Parliament is empty? We are ridiculous!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 10:14 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste68 View Post
But exists this European Union?? Why whenever that there is a problem every country thinks only for itself...Why these politicians continue to lie? Why when we speak of migrants the European Parliament is empty? We are ridiculous!!!
If Italians have a chance to vote yes or no to Italexit from euro and/or EU, would you vote yes?

If you vote yes, would you have confidence that Italian policymakers could do any better than they did:
- in the 1980s?
- in the 1990s?
- since introduction of the euro?

Old 07-06-2017, 12:26 AM

The first thing for to decide if to vote yes or not is to understand who to believe, and this in not easy!! A part of politicians say that to leave Euro would be a catastrophe, another part say that lo leave Euro would be salvation. Who should we believe?
As far as I know the 80s a were very good...

Old 07-06-2017, 02:34 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,370 times
Quote:
The first thing for to decide if to vote yes or not is to understand who to believe, and this in not easy!! A part of politicians say that to leave Euro would be a catastrophe, another part say that lo leave Euro would be salvation. Who should we believe?
As far as I know the 80s a were very good...
I think the answer has to be relative. If you're the only country leaving such a bloc as the EU, it can't be a positive as the other side still has a negotiation power and you'd be isolated.

On the other hand, if the EU itself is "dismantled", then, it just means everyone is back to square one and it could be a real positive.

For what it's worth, there are implications in being together within the EU that could be perceived as a negative in term of "political and economic freedom" but it also comes with some comfort and benefit, typically for citizens. I love when I can move within the EU with just my ID card. Also, since the EU is a bloc, the more federal it becomes, the more power it will have on the international scene.

I believe that making economic ties and interconnections will help to decrease potential frustrations and/or wars as people would value those economic ties AND they would get to know each others better.

The continent comes from various background however so it's a much tougher situation than the US or other large countries. Russia is the closest in term of structure and they had to impose Russian. And along with administrative barriers the EU help to lower, the language barrier is also huge. It only makes sense to make a big economic bloc if people are allowed and can move around to follow new economic trends, waiting for better times in their place of origin. Without that, EU or not, you will never be able to benefit from that.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:

to understand who to believe, and this is not easy!! Who should we believe?
That's what I am asking you.

If Italy were to exit the euro, would you have confidence that Italian policymakers could do any better than they did:
- in the 1980s?
- in the 1990s?

Well? I'm waiting for an answer.

You mention ... "As far as I know the 80s were very good..."

You must be very young. The 1980s were very good, at least in comparison to the 1970s and the 1990s to the present, however there was a lot of corruption and in any case the policymakers in the 1990s did not attempt to build on what was good about the 1980s.

Instead they focused on preserving gains, whose value by now has whittled away, probably to the stage where there is precious little to build on.

So, again,

If Italy were to exit the euro, would you have confidence that Italian policymakers could do any better than they did:

- in the 1980s?
- in the 1990s?

Old 07-06-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
That's what I am asking you.

- in the 1980s?
- in the 1990s?

Well? I'm waiting for an answer.

You mention ... "As far as I know the 80s were very good..."

You must be very young. The 1980s were very good, at least in comparison to the 1970s and the 1990s to the present, however there was a lot of corruption and in any case the policymakers in the 1990s did not attempt to build on what was good about the 1980s.

Instead they focused on preserving gains, whose value by now has whittled away, probably to the stage where there is precious little to build on.

So, again,

- in the 1980s?
- in the 1990s?
Unfortunately I believe that politicians are equal, the time don't change their way of doing politics!!! Every time has its own corrupt!!

Old 07-06-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I believe that politicians are equal, the time don't change their way of doing politics!!! Every time has its own corrupt!!

Well, I agree.

It does not matter whether Italy stays with or leaves the euro. That is not the underlying problem, but it does makes good political theater for the politicians, 20 years ago, now, and 20 years later.

In bocca al lupo!

Old 07-07-2017, 12:41 PM

58 posts, read 39,500 times
There's an obvious democratic deficit in the EU. The most important decisions are often taken in secret. The national media aren't usually interested in what's happening in Brussels or Strassburg which doesn't help much. They lack the necessary expertise and their readers/viewers don't care anyway. Sure, the states are still pursuing their national interests, often covered up by the European rhetorics (Germans are extremely good at this). On the other hand, it would likely be much worse without the European Union.

It's dificult to find a unity though. Countries like Spain, Italy or even France have a completely different view on Russia than the Baltic states or Poland. The post-communist states are a lot more liberal economically than France. They also have a very different take on immigration compared to Germany or Sweden. Germany sees the Euro differently than France. Etc. Another thing that doesn't help is that the current generation of European leaders is pretty mediocre. A bunch of second rate careerists scared to death by the media. Let's see what Macron brings but I'm sceptical.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubikula View Post
There's an obvious democratic deficit in the EU. The most important decisions are often taken in secret ... Sure, the states are still pursuing their national interests ...
I agree with everything you wrote, and it is worth emphasizing that the EU's main decision-making body is the European Council, which is a grouping of heads and ministers of the several national governments. It is an EU of the nation-states, it really does not pretend to be a democracy.

But neither does the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubikula View Post
Another thing that doesn't help is that the current generation of European leaders is pretty mediocre. A bunch of second rate careerists scared to death by the media. Let's see what Macron brings but I'm sceptical.
Agree here as well. I don't remember any significant leaders on either side of the Atlantic since the 1980s.

I am also sceptical of Macron: yes, he even managed, apparently, to gain a majority in the legislative branch, but we really don't know who any of these people are, who put them there, and there is no guarantee that his administration will pass any significant legislation, so-called reform or otherwise.

Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2017, 01:33 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
There is much to criticize (if you are a critic). But it seems to go on and on, despite the nationalistic furor. It even survived a period of about 2 years without a constitution! El va.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe