Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 04:25 PM

423 posts, read 186,414 times

Advertisements

I’m interested about the German forum members’ personal view on the current state of free speech in their country. The other day I was watching interviews with street people in Germany and I couldn't help but noticed that everyone seemed to be so hesitant to speak their minds. It was really strange to me, I had the sense that people are afraid to talk about their views publicly for some reason. I spoke with some friends of mine who live in Germany and they told me that citizens can potentially lose their job if they get caught about criticizing the current immigration policies or express any negative views about refugees. Can you further elaborate on that?

I personally noticed that when the refugee crisis blew up in 2015, almost all German online news outlets took down their comment sections after the public opinion turned critical about Germany’s immigration politics. This was very odd to me. Also, everyone remembers how the Cologne incident was kept in secret in the media until the number of victim reports on social outlets reached a critical limit. Again, very odd.
I also see these German propaganda videos (it’s not clear who finances them) about being tolerant, being ”proud to be unproud” etc. in a disturbingly pushy way (a little blonde girl about the age of 7-8 persuaded to recite profanities for instance).
Futhermore, we know that the German government has recently directed social media outlets to strictly hunt down hate speech. Fellow German travelers I spoke with said they feel that it was done in order to stop the spread of negative attitude against immigrant policy and refugees.

Is it in your opinion morally acceptable for a society to suppress public opinion about certain relevant events and policies, even when it’s being done for a supposedly noble cause? Are you German members feel that there can be a backlash if you state certain opinions on public forums, social media, etc. I’m not talking about any hate speech or supremacist crap here, just reasonable critical arguments against the current policies. Do you feel there are certain views being favoured by the media while other views not equally tolerated (despite the popular catchword ”tolerance”)?

As a European in the US, I got many question from Americans regarding the situation in Germany. Everyone seem to be worried about your country these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS5c_OVZmtk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMQkV5cTuoY

Last edited by Easternman; 08-29-2017 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 10:36 PM

779 posts, read 595,814 times
Germany has freedom of speech in its constitution but it's so restricted that I wouldn't consider it real 'freedom', the restrictions simply out-do the granted freedom.

Germany cannot be not authoritarian it seems.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:29 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,418 times
You can say and write anything unless you violate the law, e.g. libel, insult, denial of Holocaust etc. Not much different to anywhere else.

For example, the head of the right wing AFD party recently said that the Turkish/German integration minister should be 'disposed of' [entsorgt, a verb usually used for the disposal of rubbish] in Turkish Anatolia. As a response he is now being prosecuted, rightly so in my opinion.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:25 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easternman View Post
I’m interested about the German forum members’ personal view on the current state of free speech in their country. The other day I was watching interviews with street people in Germany and I couldn't help but noticed that everyone seemed to be so hesitant to speak their minds.
If some random would approach me on the street with a camera, I would told him/her to F off. That can be seen from those Germans too. They don't have the slightest of interest in speaking with him. Especially with such stupid questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easternman View Post
Fellow German travelers I spoke with said they feel that it was done in order to stop the spread of negative attitude against immigrant policy and refugees.
Yeah right.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:52 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,648 times
Officially, freedom of speach and opinion is existing in Germany. In theory. But well if you disagree with Merkels devastating refugee policy, you are a Nazi. Germans are very good in pushing everyone disagreeing with their mainstream leftish-greenish politics into the Nazi corner. And then, while you are still free to speak, you may face consequences from society, friends, employer, the media, etc. You just don't want to be "the Nazi of your town" just beacuse you critized how millions of illegal immigrants are ruining the country. So you better shut up.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:41 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
And then, while you are still free to speak, you may face consequences from society, friends, employer, the media, etc.
Just like in about every country.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Most people I know run away from TV camera's. Nothing to do with freedom of speech.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:22 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Officially, freedom of speach and opinion is existing in Germany. In theory. But well if you disagree with Merkels devastating refugee policy, you are a Nazi. Germans are very good in pushing everyone disagreeing with their mainstream leftish-greenish politics into the Nazi corner. And then, while you are still free to speak, you may face consequences from society, friends, employer, the media, etc. You just don't want to be "the Nazi of your town" just beacuse you critized how millions of illegal immigrants are ruining the country. So you better shut up.
This is chilling. This is what goes on in Russia, are you aware of this? Activists for ethnic people's rights, who speak out, for example, for the application of international standards to "nationality policy", can lose their jobs. It's one thing to be, perhaps, ostracized socially. But to have your employment taken away can be devastating. Especially in a country where the federal government's hand reaches very far.

Is this legal in Germany?

Old 08-30-2017, 12:40 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is chilling. This is what goes on in Russia, are you aware of this? Activists for ethnic people's rights, who speak out, for example, for the application of international standards to "nationality policy", can lose their jobs. It's one thing to be, perhaps, ostracized socially. But to have your employment taken away can be devastating. Especially in a country where the federal government's hand reaches very far.

Is this legal in Germany?
It is not legal to fire someone because of his political views, but there are probably other reasons people can come up with, if they are willing to get rid of certain employees.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post

For example, the head of the right wing AFD party recently said that the Turkish/German integration minister should be 'disposed of' [entsorgt, a verb usually used for the disposal of rubbish] in Turkish Anatolia. As a response he is now being prosecuted, rightly so in my opinion.
I disagree. Prosecuting him will only encourage people with similar views to cloak their speech in more acceptable words and thereby gain a following of people unable to see the anti-social nuance of their positions.

By allowing a person to speak freely, we know just who they are and just what they believe and can thus logically counter their statements rather than trying to decipher anti-social messages. And worse, assume that anyone with a valid critique must be a Nazi watching his words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe