Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 12:37 AM

37 posts, read 82,194 times

Advertisements

The country and people arent slavic like eastern Europeans or mediterranean like Greeks and Spaniards so what does that leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 12:48 AM

481 posts, read 423,171 times
I was under the impression that Italians were THE Mediterranean people. Their average appearance, culture, mannerisms, etc. are strongly tied in with the Mediterranean and Romance sphere. You could maybe make the argument that Italians at the northernmost end of the country are Germanic, but no, I'd say the vast majority of Italy is overwhelmingly Mediterranean, and they, in many ways, help define WHAT Mediterranean is.

The cultural attitudes alone could separate them. Germanic nations tend to be more stiff, cold, and distant, but in Italy people are so much more conversational, emotive, and relaxed.

Throughout history, there were usually strong divisions between Italy and its Germanic neighbors, from all the way back to the Roman Empire when people of the Italian peninsula saw northern people in Germania as 'barbarians', all the way up to modern times where people like Hitler were loudly declaring their southern neighbors were Mediterranean and very different from the Germanic people.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:53 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
I was under the impression that Italians were THE Mediterranean people. Their average appearance, culture, mannerisms, etc. are strongly tied in with the Mediterranean and Romance sphere. You could maybe make the argument that Italians at the northernmost end of the country are Germanic, but no, I'd say the vast majority of Italy is overwhelmingly Mediterranean, and they, in many ways, help define WHAT Mediterranean is.

The cultural attitudes alone could separate them. Germanic nations tend to be more stiff, cold, and distant, but in Italy people are so much more conversational, emotive, and relaxed.
In your disgustingly nice and polite manner, you've just crashed that person's dreams)))

Did you give it a thought?

Old 02-01-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I think Greece is the standard for what is mediterranean. Dont know why it could be Italy. Italians average appearance is no different from Germans or British people. Their culture is western European. Historically they had more in contact with Germanics while Greeks were with Turks and Ottomans and Spaniards the moors and other middle eastern people. Italy is probably the least mediterranean country that touches the mediterranean sea. All of its "mediterraneanness" actually comes not from an Italian source but a foreign one. So it was only because of Greeks, Spanish and other real mediterraneans, not Italians themselves, that some parts and people of Italy could be considered mediterranean. The majority of the population lives in the north which is basically like Germany anyway

Old 02-01-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
In your disgustingly nice and polite manner, you've just crashed that person's dreams)))

Did you give it a thought?
I mean, I'm not trying to 'crash dreams', it's just that in all the history I've absorbed, Italy has always stood as a proud Mediterranean nation that pretty much defined what a "Mediterranean nation" is.

When I think of Mediterranean food, I think of Italian cuisine. When I think of Mediterranean culture, I think of everything to the strong family-centric culture in Italy, to the architecture of the buildings along Italy's coast, to its rich history of the Renaissance, end beyond. When I think of Mediterranean attitudes, I think of the highly expressive attitudes that go against the typical cold, distant attitudes of Germanic cultures.

The more I think about it, the more I am certain that Italy is the most "Mediterranean" nation of them all.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:05 AM

Quote:
I mean, I'm not trying to 'crash dreams', it's just that in all the history I've absorbed, Italy has always stood as a proud Mediterranean nation that pretty much defined what a "Mediterranean nation" is.

When I think of Mediterranean food, I think of Italian cuisine. When I think of Mediterranean culture, I think of everything to the strong family-centric culture in Italy, to the architecture of the buildings along Italy's coast, to its rich history of the Renaissance, end beyond. When I think of Mediterranean attitudes, I think of the highly expressive attitudes that go against the typical cold, distant attitudes of Germanic cultures.

The more I think about it, the more I am certain that Italy is the most "Mediterranean" nation of them all.
So proud that Mussolini declared himself "nordic" in one of his speeches? Lol. And Italian food isnt conisdered mediterranean food in the US at least. On the review site yelp for example Italian food is never considered mediterranean. Its Greek, Turkish and other real mediterranean and middle eastern peoples food that is.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:06 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:

The more you think about it, the more you upset the person above)))

Old 02-01-2018, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbn4 View Post
I think Greece is the standard for what is mediterranean. Dont know why it could be Italy. Italians average appearance is no different from Germans or British people. Their culture is western European. Historically they had more in contact with Germanics while Greeks were with Turks and Ottomans and Spaniards the moors and other middle eastern people. Italy is probably the least mediterranean country that touches the mediterranean sea. All of its "mediterraneanness" actually comes not from an Italian source but a foreign one. So it was only because of Greeks, Spanish and other real mediterraneans, not Italians themselves, that some parts and people of Italy could be considered mediterranean. The majority of the population lives in the north which is basically like Germany anyway
1) Italian appearances vary wildly, and while some may appear "Germanic", there is certainly a gradient across the nation, and only in the most northern points do you see a large chunk of people looking 'germanic' (Alpine would be a more accurate word I'd say, Germanic is far too broad).

Pic is a blonde hair % map of italy. There is clearly a difference as you head north.

Mod cut: copyrighted image.

Also, I refute the idea that they look like British people. The Anglo-Saxons are a distinctly northern Germanic people and had very little contact with Italy. Also, Germans do not all look the same and can vary as well. One could say Southern Germans look like Northern Italians, instead of the reverse.

Mod cut: copyrighted images.

2) If Greeks had more contact with the Ottomans and the Spanish more contact with North Africa, while Italy is isolated, wouldn't that make Italy the least outside-influenced Mediterranean nation?

3) Italy had a very recent population shift in the mid-20th century with many southerners moving north. Too recent to have an effect on culture/people/etc

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-01-2018 at 01:27 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 01:18 AM

Some Italians representing Italy at this years winter Olympics. Not exactly mediterranean lol

Mod cut: several copyrighted images.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-01-2018 at 01:30 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 01:22 AM

^^^ Fair point, I wonder where they're all from though. Personally I'd opt more to compare average composite faces.

Honestly we can bicker all night about this and post a billion pictures each, but I'd personally really like to ask a bunch of Italians what they think.

ITALY WAKE UP PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS THREAD LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe