Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which option do you agree with?
Immigration has been a net positive for my country. 23 37.70%
I fear that immigration will destroy the culture of my country. 38 62.30%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 12:56 PM

630 posts, read 526,413 times

Advertisements

Hasn't there been more than needed threads like this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 01:00 PM

27,572 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Denmark has made it very, very hard for anyone outside the EU to immigrate to Denmark, except under various job programs, mainly for highly skilled workers and, especially, professionals. The main influx is from refugees and asylum seekers (many of whom do not appear to qualify, but can't be sent home). This last group is treated very harshly....

We have two immigration problems in Denmark: 1.) a looming labor market shortage and 2.) a large block of elected officials who are anti-immigration.
From a U.S. perspective, the politics and social programs in Denmark are pretty left-wing. However, the immigration policy you described would be considered far right in America.

It almost seems as if you have to have both extremes to make society work.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:36 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Hasn't there been more than needed threads like this before?
Yes.
It´s an endless flood.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:32 AM

510 posts, read 610,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
From a U.S. perspective, the politics and social programs in Denmark are pretty left-wing. However, the immigration policy you described would be considered far right in America.

That policy sounds just like the USA's policy. It is very hard to immigrate to the US unless you are a skilled worker coming in for a job, marry a US citizen, or are sponsored by a relative who is a US citizen. And family-sponsored visas are currently backed up about 10 years, meaning if you apply for a sibling, for example, now they might get a visa around 2028(there are shortcuts for children and parents, but not for other relations).

There is also the diversity lottery, but a foreigner's chance of winning that is about the same as you winning your state lottery.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:58 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Yes, fear of strangers and an easy willingness to blame them for every economic and social ill doesn't play political favorites.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:46 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
None of those countries have banned people from seeking asylum in their countries. Japan has in theory, but they are racists and not a good example anyway.
Iceland is of course due to logistics quite hard to reach, but Spain is one of the major destinations where migrants arrive: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-unhcr-warning

BTW, Poland has taken over 1 million refugees from Ukraine.
Nobody bans refugees entirely - even Japan allows in a tiny trickle I think.

Spain is the arrival point for refugees due to its location, but they're rushed across the Pyrénées quite quickly after the arrive.

And sure Poland accepted Ukrainians... that's quite different as a societal challenge than what Germany or Sweden have had to do with hundreds of people from the Middle East and Africa.

BTW, I am not criticizing any country. Just saying that those who don't admit many refugees aren't necessarily crapholes, as has been suggested.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:28 AM

1,319 posts, read 856,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihael View Post
You have friends as you’re American. They give Eastern Europeans nazi treatment while claiming to be accepting and oh so liberal. Dutch, Slovak, Scandinavian, UK, Germans, French - all close-minded bigots that love to hate and treat Romanians and Bulgarians like trash.
listen buddy go anywhere in asia and middle east , if you are indian and african you get the same treatment

get over it

why dont you just stay in eastern europe if you dont like the west

and btw I love eastern european culture myself so I'm saying this out of prejudice , my son is half polish.But its unfair that you expect them to be so accomadating but not the other way round

lets say if germans start having tons of babies and they flood the eastern european countries , how will they be treated ? oh let me guess probably ethnically cleansed and deported

Old 03-28-2018, 01:14 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
You are an American who lives in Germany and you are worried about the effects of immigration to the German culture. If you were German and said these things, then I would probably agree with you. But you are not, you are a foreignor in Germany and you are complaining about foreignors in Germany. I really find that weird.
He can judge the situation as good as a local or even better as long as he is or was there recently, I second his worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihael View Post
Immigration is what made the “New world” what it is today - places full of much friendlier people than European countries. As a European the only place to feel good in Europe is your own country as fellow Euro countries are xenophobic (white on white hatred not unlike the black on black tribalist hate in Africa) but even there the non smiling customer service makes me feel bad. Also melting pot societies are richer culturally. But of course you have to have tight control on who goes in. New world countries often refuse visas and accept the more educated people from abroad. Therefore Muslims there are of higher quality than those in Europe usually. Also people there act welcoming. In Europe you’re on your own, no one welcomes you so it’s understandable how a gullible youth could become a terrorist as they feel disconnect, even if they’re born there they’re never Dutch, Swedish etc. enough. I am not muslim but if I was after all the discrimination and abuse I got I’d be very mad at Dutchies. To this day I refuse to even talk to them after what they did, I had PTSD when hearing Dutch speech once.
All American countries except Canada and Chile countries have murder rates that are multiple times higher than in even the poorest European countries, some people blame it on guns - I blame it on "diversity".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
You guys make it seem like immigration is a super recent happening in (Western) Europe which is not the case. Millions of immigrants were present during the 80's and 90's already when Germany was "such a great nation". It's not like native Europeans are killed and replaced by evil Muslim refugees.
They kill themselves by abortion and childlessness and thus are replaced by migrants.

BTW, I have read that male/female ration in Germany is now worse than in China or India due to the recent mass immigration, look at this graphic, the red part left are the male refugees:

Old 03-28-2018, 01:49 AM

400 posts, read 292,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
He can judge the situation as good as a local or even better as long as he is or was there recently, I second his worries.

Good for you. Send the Syrians back to Turkey then. You can keep Odenwald.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:34 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
Good for you. Send the Syrians back to Turkey then. You can keep Odenwald.
This is not about Syrians only, but people from Afghanistan, Marocco, Somalia, Eritrea, Gambia, even Bangladesh, have a look on the map where these countries are and where Germany is - this is ridicilous and yes, it would be a great deal to send the Syrians (and some Turks with them, no offense, I know that decent Turks in Turkey are partly ashamed of them) back in exchange for Odenwald.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe