Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 10:54 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times

Advertisements

Last time we went Rome was pretty dodgey with all of the refugees and other immigrants aggressively panhandling, stalking, etc. on the streets, but I just read an article saying that the violence against those imigrants is growing, citing attacks on Romani and Africans.

My wife and her family are Hispanic and I am fairly concerned. We are suppossed to be going back in April, but is it safe? Anyone from there or been there recently? What ae the conditions like?

Thanks.

Last edited by elnina; 12-18-2018 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 11:42 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
We just went there recently as in this last summer, no problem. Should not be a concern regardless of what race, plenty of Asians, Hispanics, or non Asians.
But the Africans were there two summers ago, they were peddling cheap arts. In one area I stayed at near the Trevi fountain, I believe I saw human feces on the road. Just be careful and take caution.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:42 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
We just went there recently as in this last summer, no problem. Should not be a concern regardless of what race, plenty of Asians, Hispanics, or non Asians.
But the Africans were there two summers ago, they were peddling cheap arts. In one area I stayed at near the Trevi fountain, I believe I saw human feces on the road. Just be careful and take caution.
Thanks.

I saw feces in the streets, empty bottles everywhere, cops arrest a Middle Eastern man at the Colloseum late a night, some kind of bad drug or prostitution deal in a park which was turning violent, and I personally had to threaten one very aggresive panhandler who seemed to think I was going to be an easy mark.

What I am more worried about is the violence I am reading about BY Italians in response.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:47 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Use common sense and you will be fine.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:49 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
In September my son & I were in Rome, San Marino, Rimini & Venice. Walked all around, saw all the sights and saw NO strange or dangerous people....anywhere. I also stayed right near the Trevi Fountain in Rome and, yes, there were a few people selling crafts and things, but in no way dangerous. I would add that in Rome, about every other block, there's a Jeep with two soldiers with machine guns. That added to the feeling of safety. Rimini & Venice, no problems at all. San Marino is very quiet with the most stunning views you could ever imagine.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:40 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
Pretty sure North America is far more dangerous but still my place (eastern europe) is the safest.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:44 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
Was in Rome this past September and did not feel any concerns at all about crime. Stayed in the historic center where there were crowds everywhere, peaceful and never threatening. Rome has gotten dirtier though, true.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:13 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,446 times
As an Italian (although I live close to Alps, not in Rome), Italy is generally one of the least violent place in Europe, barring certain peculiar areas riddled with gangs and mafia (but they are not visited by tourists). As for your specific concerns, do not worry: there are aplenty of people from South America in Italy and they are fine, similarly tourists come in millions and there are no problems.
While there is hostility against immigrants after the arrival of hundreds of thousands of illegals, violence is frowned upon and severely condemned.
It is also obvious that you still have to use common good sense: avoid displaying wealth (rolex, expensive jewellery), stick to safe areas (which does not mean "tourist areas", just do not go to certain areas, especially at night), put your wallet in your front-pocket, keep valuable documents in the hotel (and possibly make a copy of your passport).
Whatever problem you may have, soldiers and police will help you.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:43 AM

673 posts, read 466,217 times
Be advised......and no, this is not made up. Public masturbation is allowed in Italy. This went into law last summer.
Don't believe me?............look it up.
Italy, France, Holland.........a continuous fall into rotting ghettos
There is something very wrong with these countries.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:09 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Pretty sure North America is far more dangerous but still my place (eastern europe) is the safest.
Yeah right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe