Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 11:42 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
Currently learning German and Spanish on Duolingo btw. At least I know some basics like Guten Morgen! Entschuldigung, ich kann nicht Deutsch sprechen. Ich bin ein tourist. (probably not correct, verdammt! lol) and Das ist nicht gut! Watching RTLII and Pro7 for a few years as kid helps I guess.
You'll need a lot more than that, to get a job. But ok, at least you're trying.

Yeah, one thing I noticed about Russian young women---they're very flirtatious! Seeing them in action is like going back in a time machine to the 1940's in the USA, or something. Nobody does that anymore, in the USA, lol! Except maybe in the South? IDK. So if you can find Polish women in Germany, I guess you'll have the best of both worlds... high pay, and flirty women, with a little luck...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 11:43 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,106 times
& Healthy
In Germany the concept of arch enemy was restricted to France only, nothing to do with Poland.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:06 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
^Today most people work in foreign-own big international corporations where the working language often is English.

True but many later Rover models (mostly Honda-based) are around. Maybe not true British, but still British styled. And this beautiful, lush green country side is still there. UK country roads still get wet as it still rains a lot there. Despite the rain and lack of sun, rural Britain is so romantic! I think that holds true for rural Germany as well, lots of nice picturesque villages in both the UK and Germany. Some of the most celebrated French villages are in Alsace, so in fact they have German-styled houses. The typical French village is not as nice. I'd avoid London, it's too crowded and not true British anymore (rather be one of a few foreigners in a culture I'd love to adopt than be one of the many in a place that no longer has any distinct culture. I bet I'm more British than many UK born Muslims that ignore UK white culture btw).

Germany, like the UK has also given a lot to engineering and the motoring world. The VW Beetle was one of the first cars I remember of course. And the beautiful BMW E21, the quirky Barkas vans and the early Wartburgs 311. Not to mention the obvious choices like Porsches, Golfs etc. I also like the half-timbered houses they have over there. I like how they recovered from losing the war and turned themselves around. Alphaville, Sandra, Rolf Soja's music productions, Christmas markets, the Thuringian hills etc.

I think German sounds miles better than the overrated French language as it's easier to make out the different sounds and words and writing it is not as bad. I loved listening to East Germans speak it in the Black sea coast as kid. It's more logical than French and not as annoying. I prefer Spanish over French for exactly the same reasons btw. English is also a mess when it comes to spelling and pronunciation and even more irregular, but at least it has a much easier grammar (next to none verb conjugation!) than French and it has a better pop culture stance.

Poland is also quite vast and I like their unique sounding language (a bit messy, but interesting). I like their culture much more than most other Slavic nations. I like how they withstood Russification much better than us Bulgarians. I like the story of how Warsaw rose from its ashes like a phoenix. The VW van-levels of cool Nysa vans as well! The Poles made a 3-box Ponton sedan out of a 40s-based design (the FSO Warszawa) and it looked good enough for the 60s! The Russians could never ever have done something like that! Very beautiful and flirty females as well. I don't like vodka but pierogi are so tasty! I just like both Poland and Germany despite they being arch enemies lol.

Hungary is unique, mostly flat but I like the vast flat lands it has. Some places there get as much sun as the Balkans! It also has greener cities compared to Czech and Slovak ones and Budapest is more beautiful than Vienna imo. Wide boulevards, usually lined with trees, not as suffocating as Prague. The lovely lake Balaton (ppl there were friendly to tourists unlike those in Prague and Bratislava!). The only (but a considerable) drawback is that learning Hungarian is next to impossible lol. Goulash FTW! For Poland and Hungary I would be warry as they might not like any kind of foreigner, even one that fancies their cultures.
It doesn't 'rain a lot' in England that is just an old 'stereotype' that for some reason can't be shaken off! Rainfall amounts vary greatly even within the UK but London for example is one of the driest cities in Western Europe! Don't base your decisions on stereotypes.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:46 PM

61,724 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
. The only (but a considerable) drawback is that learning Hungarian is next to impossible lol.
Good luck with learning proper Polish... hahaha!!

Old 04-27-2019, 06:34 AM

399 posts, read 354,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
& Healthy
In Germany the concept of arch enemy was restricted to France only, nothing to do with Poland.
Good as I dislike France and their ugly language.
Seriously though, it might not come from the Germans, but their way as many Poles I know certainly still hold grudges towards the Germans (most of them weren't even born back then).

Well at least they don't call the German language "the Nazi language" as my snobbish (South) French colleague used to call it. Europeans are dumb like that sometimes, they all think their ways are superior to their neighbors' ones, even if it means liking smelly moldy cheese. I like eating frog legs though and many French cars. It's mostly their ways and language I hate.

Last edited by healthy_; 04-27-2019 at 07:29 AM..

Old 04-28-2019, 09:48 AM

I just learned there's an American military base near Ansbach. I bet there are many US cars there (a dream come true) and lovely American people (AstroCartoGraphy states America and ppl from there are a good fortune for me). And I also fancy the local German culture so best of both worlds. No need to go to the US after all. AFAIK there are no or less Americans in Poland and Hungary. Maybe there are many in the UK but I think there are too many Russians there (sth I disliked about Prague). In Germany most Slavic people are Polish and I like them more than Russians.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:05 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Quote:
In Germany most Slavic people are Polish and I like them...

The poles are super serious though. Or can you say goofy, stuck up, stubborn? I mean they're cold, I agree Russians aren't on our level too but all northern countries that you idolize that much have very different from Bulgaria. Maybe consider Morocco lol or at least Italy...any place with lazy, loud dark people and you'll feel at home .

Old 04-28-2019, 10:34 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
The poles are super serious though. Or can you say goofy, stuck up, stubborn? I mean they're cold, I agree Russians aren't on our level too but all northern countries that you idolize that much have very different from Bulgaria. Maybe consider Morocco lol or at least Italy...any place with lazy, loud dark people and you'll feel at home .
That's not my experience of Poles, at all, and certainly not Russians. Maybe they're cold toward outsiders?

Old 04-28-2019, 10:40 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's not my experience of Poles, at all, and certainly not Russians. Maybe they're cold toward outsiders?

About Russia I just meant they are different not that they're quiet or so. But about Poles they are, as strict as North Koreans...

Old 04-28-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's my experience with Russians but not with most Poles or Germans. Polish girls are flirty with me, it's the Bulgarian ones that act like I'm invisible. Germans, Poles and Magyars are the nicest in Central Europe (except Germans close to the border with the Netherlands). Yes not overly friendly but down to earth.

Euro123, you're joking right? I'm from Sofia (rude people). And I don't think Italians or Morrocans are nice at all. Now the Portuguese are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe