Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 11:06 AM

399 posts, read 354,533 times

Advertisements

I was looking for a map but only found one for grain consumption. Not surprisingly, the Mediterranean, Balkan, North African and Middle Eastern regions consume the most wheat and grains. Central Europe consumes less due to many dishes with potatoes I presume.

In Bulgaria there are lots of GF stuff sold at stores now, more than in 2011 when I first quit it due to being intolerant. They even run TV ads for rice cookies now. Back then they were not as cool.

However, the understanding of being allergic or intolerant to wheat is low as most ppl eat bread with everything. It's a traditional staple. But even in Central Europe I had to explain a lot why I couldn't eat sth. They bought me a welcome pizza there without asking. In the Netherlands before events my uni asked for intolerances. Unfortunately I'm also intolerant to corn, so it's just potatoes, veggies and rice as staples.

Anyway, do you know who are the most and least aware countries and societies about wheat/gluten in Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 06:03 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
I was looking for a map but only found one for grain consumption. Not surprisingly, the Mediterranean, Balkan, North African and Middle Eastern regions consume the most wheat and grains. Central Europe consumes less due to many dishes with potatoes I presume.

In Bulgaria there are lots of GF stuff sold at stores now, more than in 2011 when I first quit it due to being intolerant. They even run TV ads for rice cookies now. Back then they were not as cool.

However, the understanding of being allergic or intolerant to wheat is low as most ppl eat bread with everything. It's a traditional staple. But even in Central Europe I had to explain a lot why I couldn't eat sth. They bought me a welcome pizza there without asking. In the Netherlands before events my uni asked for intolerances. Unfortunately I'm also intolerant to corn, so it's just potatoes, veggies and rice as staples.

Anyway, do you know who are the most and least aware countries and societies about wheat/gluten in Europe?
The UK is quite aware, there are gluten free options at many restaurants, and major supermarkets gave glutten free ranges.

Not just a fad: the surprising, gut-wrenching truth about gluten | Food | The Guardian

Best gluten-free supermarket food – taste tested | BBC Good Food

Most European countries are starting to take gluten free seriously, and I am not sure which country would be the worst in terms of lack of glutten free options.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:08 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Check this:
https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adven...ide-to-europe/
https://glutenfreepassport.com/pages...ants-in-europe
https://glutenfreeglobetrotter.com/2...e-travel-apps/

Italy is mentioned everywhere.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:31 PM

1,129 posts, read 469,810 times
My friend is a celiac and lives in the UK, he finds the restaurants are getting better at providing gluten free options and take it seriously there, the supermarkets aren’t so good apparently, with small areas for gluten free products.

When he visits me in Spain he says the supermarkets are excellent, most things have a gluten logo on them saying if it is, or isn’t gluten free, I never noticed this until he pointed it out.

When he’s in the US it’s very hit and miss and often the waiting staff have little or no knowledge of what a celiac is or even what is or isn’t gluten free, and often just say no problem then continue to suggest burgers or pasta

I suppose it’s the same all over, some places are well up on the subject whilst others haven’t a clue.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:22 AM

8 posts, read 5,992 times
Considering the amount of celiac people living there, and the increasing demand for GF food, I would be surprised if Italy was not one of the most GF-friendly Countries in the world (I am Italian but I live abroad).
Every restaurant/shop is aware of the problem, so I believe that celiac/intollerant people would find Italy very GF-friendly.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:58 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Those that really are allergic to gluten will find gluten-free food everywhere in Europe.
But really, gluten-free has become a kind of fashion, where people who are not allergic to gluten at all eat gluten-free food, anyway, which makes no sense at all as there is nothing wrong about gluten as such.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:53 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
The Irish actually have very high rates of coeliac disease. One of the first things I noticed in Irish supermarkets when I first visited way back in the 90’s, was the gluten free section.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I read that Italy is into gluten-free pasta and breads, nowadays, including in the restaurants.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:29 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Those that really are allergic to gluten will find gluten-free food everywhere in Europe.
But really, gluten-free has become a kind of fashion, where people who are not allergic to gluten at all eat gluten-free food, anyway, which makes no sense at all as there is nothing wrong about gluten as such.
Yes, unfortunately. It's a trend like (the bs) organic food.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Yes, unfortunately. It's a trend like (the bs) organic food.
What's wrong with organic foods? That's pesticide and herbicide-free stuff, right?

Another trend in my view is omega acids in everything. I wonder how we survived without them in the past...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe