Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 01:29 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times

Advertisements

I'd say Scandinavia, Germany, Japan, the UK, US, Canada, Australia and NZ would rank higher in being able to be a loner, since they're all rather individualistic (maybe Japan less so) and private. In the case of the US, Canada and Australia, the low density suburban nature sort of distances people from each other, and it's easy for you to do your own thing if you live in your own home. In the case of Scandinavia and Japan, the high sense of privacy, reserved, rather cold culture sort of distances people. In Germany there's the stereotype the people are cold and robotic, which applies to England to to an extent. Plus in all these countries there's less need for reliance on family or community for finances and more on the government.

The least would be countries like India or China, where there's a lack of personal space, Latin America, the Middle East or Africa, where one relies a lot on family and the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:58 PM

485 posts, read 2,246,851 times
I agree with you. You took those words out of my mouth. Well this is what I've seen and noticed. I sometimes think, Do countries get more isolated as they get more developed? I'm thinking S. Korea would fit in with US, Canada, Australia and Western Europe. Notice how the highly developed countries have high suicide rates. This is probably because of that isolationist culture. Noticed how the other countries on the opposite side of the spectrum have a high homocide rate, this may be because there is too little privacy?? The Major cities in Mexico has that same feel you just described in the developed countries, I heard it's about the same in other cities like Bogota, Medellin, Caracas, Buenos Aires, Santiago, and Lima.

I don't know. I'm not a sociologist. There are also poor countries that have high suicide rates and have same or similar problems to the countries you mentioned.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:01 PM

Also, there are places in Texas or the south where people may be very friendly and welcoming. Same with some places in Australia outside of Sydney, Melbourne or Canberra. Never been to Australia but I'm thinking the weather must be pleasant and sub tropical. Southern Europeans, though definitely not all, are very welcoming, laid back and friendly. The dutch are pretty cool and south germans and austrians can be cool too.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Also, there are places in Texas or the south where people may be very friendly and welcoming. Same with some places in Australia outside of Sydney, Melbourne or Canberra. Never been to Australia but I'm thinking the weather must be pleasant and sub tropical. Southern Europeans, though definitely not all, are very welcoming, laid back and friendly. The dutch are pretty cool and south germans and austrians can be cool too.
Living in the country as a single person (as I did for a year) and not really knowing anyone there can be a very lonely experience, almost hermit like. Outside of work it felt very isolating, although at least I liked to spend time alone in nature. I think the suicide rate in the country here is even higher per capita. Not to say it can't be nice, but it's certainly not like living in a village in Africa or something.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:59 PM

Do you live in Australia?

Old 11-27-2013, 09:05 PM

I live here in the US, and I can say the same too. I think maybe it depends on where in the US you live and if the area has a lot of young people. Since the older people just mind their own business, and go on with their everyday lives. Also I do think some places or some towns are more friendlier than others. Yes I understand you since I often feel the same here. Also, you can have a lot of nice things, but I would rather have some really good friends and meet great people and just have basic necessities and a few nice things, not really

Old 11-27-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Do you live in Australia?
Yes, Perth for most of my life, very isolated city. The suburban existence is very isolating too.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I live here in the US, and I can say the same too. I think maybe it depends on where in the US you live and if the area has a lot of young people. Since the older people just mind their own business, and go on with their everyday lives. Also I do think some places or some towns are more friendlier than others. Yes I understand you since I often feel the same here. Also, you can have a lot of nice things, but I would rather have some really good friends and meet great people and just have basic necessities and a few nice things, not really
yes, and I suppose, living in a crowded urban environment like Paris or Hong Kong doesn't mean it's easier to make friends (or NYC). It increases the chances of incidental encounters but people are less likely to make any connection. For instance in big cities people don't say hello when passing each other (even in suburbs these days) which still goes on in some country towns.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 PM

forgive me for my stupid assumptions, but I thought Australia was the friendliest country out of the anglophone countries (US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand). I thought that because whenever I think of Australia, I think of people in the desert or in the beach and they are really relax and say "good day mate" or "no worries mate" in an uncomplicated attitude to people passing by.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 PM

but yeah I think the Major Cities in Australia must be like New York, and The american Northeast. I think Mexico is a good choice for you. Well, since I'm Mexican and I've been there I know it better than other countries (not including the USA).

The major cities won't be too hard but not everyone is gonna be friendly and welcoming, nor will they greet you warmly. I feel the culture of Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterrey and a few others have become more similar to that of the states. People like american media, US things, music, movies, toys, ipods, games, etc...Also it's harder when you don't have friends or people who know people and the place.. Probably most people you will meet is from your job, school, or club or something. Or...you can be bold and make a move by purposely bumping into people or asking people for directions to "X" place...stuff like that.

In the small or mid sized towns or even some fairly big towns in Guanajuato it's easy. You don't even have to do anything, people just approach you and talk to you weather you like it or not. Hahaha they are curious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World