Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 07:30 PM

102,271 posts, read 108,324,694 times

Advertisements

While I'm at it, I may as well mention a few locations in Oregon, like Tillaook (Cheese Central (they also make ice cream), and located on the coast), Salem, on the Willamette River, Roseburg, Corvallis--home to a state university. Just to name a few.

Oregon has some strong conservative pockets, though. Well, so does WA, and even CA.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-11-2020 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 4,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I'm a big-time swimmer, but I also like left-leaning politics (relative to America's Political Center of Gravity), and I don't like extremes in temperature (not too hot, not too cold).

I'm a teacher and was looking at different places I could resettle once this pandemic is over. I was waiting to retire before I moved to another country, given I have a big pension waiting on me if I stay where I am, but the hot summers, cold winters, and right-wing political climate where I live have been troubling me, and this pandemic was the last straw.
How could it be too cold? Sea water freezes at 0-(-4) degees. That's pretty warm to me. And Ireland is so south it never gets even close to 0.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:29 PM

130,856 posts, read 12,216,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIdiot View Post
How could it be too cold? Sea water freezes at 0-(-4) degees. That's pretty warm to me. And Ireland is so south it never gets even close to 0.
Ireland is Northern Europe. Look at an atlas or globe, they are about as North as New York. Kept warm by Gulf Stream.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:50 PM

102,271 posts, read 108,324,694 times
I've swum in the water off the coast of Norway, at Trondheim. That's the same current that goes past Ireland on its way to Norway. It's about the same temp as Puget Sound in late spring/early summer, which around 45 degrees F, give or take. You go numb after 5 minutes in the water. Of course you get hypothermia if you stay in the water, but we didn't think anything of it, as kids. We'd just spend an extra long time in the shower afterwards, warming up.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:40 PM

5,777 posts, read 11,429,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Ireland is Northern Europe. Look at an atlas or globe, they are about as North as New York. Kept warm by Gulf Stream.
The middle of Ireland is at 53 degrees north latitude, 10 degrees further north than central New York state! The middle of Ireland is roughly the same latitude as Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, which is the northernmost "big city" in Canada! The Gulf Stream keeps Ireland from having temperatures as frigid as central Canada or the northern US, but the winter nights are still going to be very long, damp and plenty cold.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:28 PM

6,857 posts, read 4,309,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIdiot View Post

According to AnIdiot, sure.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:28 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,606,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Europe, as a whole is not easy to immigrate to. Do you have any Irish grandparents?
I have an Irish Great Great Great Grandmother.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:07 PM

7,437 posts, read 4,205,899 times
Quote:
I have an Irish Great Great Great Grandmother.
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/wp-c...lity-Guide.pdf

Quote:
Entitled to Irish citizenship if one or both of your parents:
Is Irish
Is British or entitled to live in Northern Ireland or the Irish State without
restriction on their residency
Is a foreign national legally resident in the island of Ireland for 3 out of 4
years immediately prior to your birth

A great-grandchild born outside the island of Ireland
Entitled to Irish citizenship, by having your birth registered in the Foreign
Births Register, but only if your parent had registered by the time of your
birth

Old 08-17-2020, 03:27 AM

27,375 posts, read 13,612,341 times
Quote:
I'm a big-time swimmer, but I also like left-leaning politics (relative to America's Political Center of Gravity), and I don't like extremes in temperature (not too hot, not too cold).

I'm a teacher and was looking at different places I could resettle once this pandemic is over. I was waiting to retire before I moved to another country, given I have a big pension waiting on me if I stay where I am, but the hot summers, cold winters, and right-wing political climate where I live have been troubling me, and this pandemic was the last straw.
I am sure people swim in winter in Ireland just as they in many Central and even Northern European countries, as it's considered invigorating.

There are lots of ponds, lakes and outdoor lido's in London where people swim throughout the seasons, and these include the Serpentine, Ruislip Lido and Hampstead ponds which has a male pond, female pond and mixed pond. There are also numerous others throughout London, the UK, and across Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UA1lBqXOeo

Old 08-23-2020, 03:21 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,578,799 times
Quote:

If the Louisiana winters are too cold for you, I wouldn't head north, and nowhere is pandemic free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe