Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 12:55 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,572,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Which is another absurd term, tbh - there could be only one English, the English one lol...even claims "American" exists as something separate are hilarious, as a non-native speaker I can hardly find a single word used on a daily basis which deviates from the original. Lad/Boy, Luggage/Baggage, centre/center...are all known everywhere and are tiny amount of the dictionary.
I believe US English evolved as an easier option for the many adult non native speakers who immigrated. Where differences exist, US tends to be more precise, and have fewer alternate meanings. Trash and garbage vs. rubbish. Faucet vs. tap. US also has greater propensity to engage in verbing as a shortcut. Friend and unfriend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 01:02 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,045,288 times
Quote:
Which is another absurd term, tbh - there could be only one English, the English one lol...even claims "American" exists as something separate are hilarious, as a non-native speaker I can hardly find a single word used on a daily basis which deviates from the original. Lad/Boy, Luggage/Baggage, centre/center...are all known everywhere and are tiny amount of the dictionary.
I quite agree, there is no such thing as 'American English' it's just that Americans can't stand the fact that the language is English and not American so they've come up with that term! It doesn't surprise me that the EU are going to try and do the same! Seriously people if you are going to speak English you're going to have to accept the fact that it's a language from England!! Just like if you're a French speaking country that's not France or a Spanish speaking country that's not Spain! Its only the way history played out that resulted in these languages spreading around the globe, so English became the dominant language, its because Britain had an Empire that was around the globe at a time when the world was becoming a smaller place, English becoming the world language is a result of chance, it could easily have been French, I wonder why isuch a fuss made over it all.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:53 PM

14,346 posts, read 11,738,230 times
Quote:
There are some distinct differences between standard (English/British) English and standard American English. To say otherwise is to deny that dialects exist.

I agree, however, that the differences are minor. As an American, I have little to no difficulty understanding educated native speakers from the UK, although I might be confounded by some slang words or a heavy regional accent. I disagree with the notion that American dialects are "simplified" versions of English. The language has evolved slightly differently in the two locations, but it's not simpler in the US. In some ways the English language is actually more conservative in the US than in the UK.

However, if English is used as a common language for a large group of people for whom it is a second language, one can expect some simplifications or modifications to grammar and vocabulary, and interference from the native language(s). That is the very reason for the existence of creoles.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I quite agree, there is no such thing as 'American English' it's just that Americans can't stand the fact that the language is English and not American so they've come up with that term! It doesn't surprise me that the EU are going to try and do the same! Seriously people if you are going to speak English you're going to have to accept the fact that it's a language from England!! Just like if you're a French speaking country that's not France or a Spanish speaking country that's not Spain! Its only the way history played out that resulted in these languages spreading around the globe, so English became the dominant language, its because Britain had an Empire that was around the globe at a time when the world was becoming a smaller place, English becoming the world language is a result of chance, it could easily have been French, I wonder why isuch a fuss made over it all.
It's only a matter of time before the Brits are taking classes in American English........and the Spaniards in Latin American Spanish.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There are some distinct differences between standard (English/British) English and standard American English. To say otherwise is to deny that dialects exist.

I agree, however, that the differences are minor. As an American, I have little to no difficulty understanding educated native speakers from the UK, although I might be confounded by some slang words or a heavy regional accent. I disagree with the notion that American dialects are "simplified" versions of English. The language has evolved slightly differently in the two locations, but it's not simpler in the US. In some ways the English language is actually more conservative in the US than in the UK.

However, if English is used as a common language for a large group of people for whom it is a second language, one can expect some simplifications or modifications to grammar and vocabulary, and interference from the native language(s). That is the very reason for the existence of creoles.
Some examples of what you mean please?
And there was me thinking people existed due to having been born, and maybe because of sex too.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:53 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,504,881 times
Quote:
You’re arguing semantics here. The reason why terms like American English and Australian English exist, is to specify which variant of the English language is being spoken/written. There’s a reason why most people from the Anglosphere are able to pick up on a accent when in contact with another person. The same applies with French and Spanish, where the countries and territories of the New World have distinct ways of speaking that set them apart from their European parent country.

If you want to take that further, consider, how in classes where English is taught as a second language, there will be a preference towards one of those variants. In place where British English is used, spelling things the American way will get you marked down.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
It's only a matter of time before the Brits are taking classes in American English........and the Spaniards in Latin American Spanish.
I don't need lessons, you don't speak anything other than English, in fact I have more trouble understanding the Geordies than I do with any Americans, there are more differences between my slang and the slang of the northerners than there is between my slang and American slang - it's still just English though. I've yet to find a post on this site I don't understand, that's because all of them are in English - the English kind!!

Old 03-02-2021, 03:18 PM

14,346 posts, read 11,738,230 times
Quote:
I don't need lessons, you don't speak anything other than English, in fact I have more trouble understanding the Geordies than I do with any Americans, there are more differences between my slang and the slang of the northerners than there is between my slang and American slang - it's still just English though. I've yet to find a post on this site I don't understand, that's because all of them are in English - the English kind!!
Now you're just being stubborn. Yes, we all speak English and are writing in English. Most of the time the differences between English dialects are trivial, and on forum like this they really don't matter. There are times, though, when using a certain spelling or verb form, etc., is incorrect for the audience you are trying to reach.

There are English-speaking people who would jump up and down and squawk in dismay if I used a phrase such as We have gotten two responses to our inquiry in a report, even though this is correct in American English and used to be correct in England as well--the English abandoned this usage in the relatively recent past; the Americans retained it--so it is also an example of American usage being more conservative.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Now you're just being stubborn. Yes, we all speak English and are writing in English. Most of the time the differences between English dialects are trivial, and on forum like this they really don't matter. There are times, though, when using a certain spelling or verb form, etc., is incorrect for the audience you are trying to reach.

There are English-speaking people who would jump up and down and squawk in dismay if I used a phrase such as We have gotten two responses to our inquiry in a report, even though this is correct in American English and used to be correct in England as well--the English abandoned this usage in the relatively recent past; the Americans retained it--so it is also an example of American usage being more conservative.
All said in beautiful English Saibot - the 'English' kind!

Old 03-03-2021, 02:13 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,077,296 times
Quote:
Well, anyways my kid just finished passing the vacuum, but they forgot to close the lights on the way out the door to meet up with some friends on a terrace downtown. I'm quite envious of the large all-dressed they're going to share.

Hopefully there won't be too much traffic on the autoroute and too busy in town so they'll be able to easily find a parking. A good spot is often just behind the dep.

Also, my kid will soon be taking a decision when it comes to summer jobs. They're hoping to get a stage in a local firm, provided the company can get a subvention. If that doesn't work out I guess they'll just work as an animator in a summer camp like last summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe