Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 12:15 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

If you don't travel much, just use Google street view
( Yandex Panorama for Russia ) and see it for yourself.
Rural areas are pretty much everywhere poorer than urban.

Last edited by elnina; 03-02-2021 at 12:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 12:36 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I have heard that is unlivable outside of those cities. I heard Alexei Navalny state Moscow is the only livable place, and everywhere else is extremely poor.
I haven't been to Russia for a decade, so grain of salt, but unless I had a very good job that necessitated living in Moscow I would say quite the opposite. Moscow is the most developed city, yes, but along with that comes a lot of expense, crime, crowding, disparity of wealth, etc. I found Petersburg to have just as many amenities while still being less expensive and just generally more agreeable...fewer urban ills. I had a nice flat in Petersburg that I could never have afforded had I lived in Moscow. Many of the other cities I spent time in to seemed to me to have a good balance of convenience with lower cost of living...I found Kazan and both the Novgorods to be especially pleasant, at least as a visitor. Of course you need to be in a professional field where living-wage work is locally available, but isn't that the same anywhere in the world? Where I live now in Alaska there are only like four things a person can realistically do for a living and be financially comfortable.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:46 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I haven't been to Russia for a decade, so grain of salt, but unless I had a very good job that necessitated living in Moscow I would say quite the opposite. Moscow is the most developed city, yes, but along with that comes a lot of expense, crime, crowding, disparity of wealth, etc.
I think Moscow is a very safe city.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:24 AM

168 posts, read 128,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How livable/unlivable is Russia, and all its territories outside of St Petersburg, Moscow, and Sochi?

I have heard that is unlivable outside of those cities. I heard Alexei Navalny state Moscow is the only livable place, and everywhere else is extremely poor.

I been checking out YT channels for cities in the arctic regions of Russia/Siberia. They dont seem all that bad given the circumstances. They are no SoBe, or San Diego. But there are places like that in America and Canada like Fairbanks, Happy Valley respectively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK9l6O3p1p8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAzS5WXN0b0
Keep in mind that some of the places are highly polluted. Places like Norilsk, Omsk, Chelyabinsk, Krasnoyarsk, Karabash, Novokuznetzk, Magnitogorsk, and Achinsk are to be avoided. Murmansk and Vorkuta are clean, but a nasty places.

But there's life outside of Moscow and St. Petersburg. Belgorod, Kazan, Sochi, Ekaterinburg, Gelengik are some of them. Many others are improving. These are Vladivostok, Samara, Nizhny Novgorod, Kaliningrad.

Are you considering a move to Russia?

Old 03-02-2021, 10:00 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, it's a cliche that no place outside Moscow is worth living in. Ignore.

Russia has many beautiful cities and fascinating regions. Personally, I like the Lake Baikal region in Siberia, Buryatia in particular, but Kamchatka is also nice. The climate in Petro-Pavlovsk Kamchatsky is milder, somewhat similar to that in Ketchikan, AK, though not as rainy. Khabarovsk also is nice, though it's very hot and humid in the summers. Well, much of Siberia is hot in mid-summer, too. Novgorod and Pskov are also nice; very old, historical cities.

Do you speak Russian? That would make a huge difference. The QOL in Russia improves exponentially, when you have friends.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:18 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The QOL in Russia improves exponentially, when you have friends.

Very true!!!

Beautiful Sakhalin island drone footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwvN47YmbFw&t=258s

A tourist documentary about Sakhalin definitely worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlGn-8l_Ew0

Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk drone footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWmYMpOGQRs

Gorgeous Kamchatka footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl4lRGdVUz4

Stunning Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7HXwgfPjIg

Personally, some of the unattractive aspects of Russian cities are the surviving Soviet era apartment blocks which, luckily, are slowly disappearing.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:33 AM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

Personally, some of the unattractive aspects of Russian cities are the surviving Soviet era apartment blocks which, luckily, are slowly disappearing.

What comes instead of them?

( Me personally - I find New York to be an unlivable place.)

What they discuss here from the very beginning till approximately 8 something is precisely how I perceive New York, and then some more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAFhA8MII5A&t=503s

Old 03-02-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What comes instead of them?
Well I saw some of the replacement....way more colorful and with a certain minimum amount of flair, green belts around, kids playground, etc...

Quote:
( Me personally - I find New York to be an unlivable place.)
Totally agree...you could not pay me enough to live there.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, it's a cliche that no place outside Moscow is worth living in. Ignore.
Talking about cliche and myths, I remember my huge disappointment the first time I visited LA in 1992 coming from Sydney Australia (I grew up in Italy and at that time I was working Down Under).

The LA of my dreams after watching TV series after TV series and movies, from CHiPs to Baywatch....that's it?? This is it?? Is this really Malibu?? Especially coming from a gorgeous city like Sydney and its beautiful beaches....it was hard to believe....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe