Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 08:45 PM

102 posts, read 40,359 times

Advertisements

Sure, despite being wealthy, Western Europe (what we usually associate Europe with; excluding the British Isles) is densely populated. So, it's understandable why most Europeans (excluding the British Isles and Nordic countrues) don't live in single-family housing with yards all around because they can't, due to lack of developable land that doesn't intrude into nature reserves. However, why don't Europeans still complain that they don't have their own house with no one above or below them? After all, the British Isles (the UK and Ireland) and Japan are significantly more densely populated and still manage to have most of their residents living in townhouses (albeit with no yard and often without parking, unlike North American and Australian ones).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 03:45 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,297,725 times
A large part of the French population lives in single family houses. I grew up in one.

Old 07-09-2021, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
A large part of the French population lives in single family houses. I grew up in one.
Thanks for letting me know. I always thought continental Europe (mainly France, BeNeLux, Germany, Switzerland, and Italy, were just old historic towns centers because the media never shows the single-family homes. I now checked on Google Maps satellite imagery for France and you were right, the outskirts of town are similar to the Anglophone countries in having suburbs. No wonder why France has such a high car ownership rate just like Anglophone countries, because it is a necessity for those living outside of the historic old towns.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:06 AM

103 posts, read 92,497 times
Apartments are fine for most people around the world. I feel that its mostly Americans who want the whole backyard for my kids, they also like living isolated and not leaving their home. I know some people who prefer to live in a densely populated area to socialize with more people and live in communities.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernell111 View Post
Apartments are fine for most people around the world. I feel that its mostly Americans who want the whole backyard for my kids, they also like living isolated and not leaving their home. I know some people who prefer to live in a densely populated area to socialize with more people and live in communities.
You also forgot Canucks and Aussies, which are similar to Americans, big house and big 4x4 SUV.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:34 AM

509 posts, read 434,361 times
I live in North America (Virginia) and have lived in an apartment or condo the past nine years. Haven't owned a car in 10 years and haven't mowed a lawn since 2001... Shocking I know, but I prefer the urban/walkable/low maintenance/small living space environment over the suburbs any day (probably a product of growing up in downtown Savannah and walking to school up through high school as well as living and studying in France and Germany). Your original statement OP is not quite accurate for millions of Americans that like living in dense neighborhoods and cities as it is for millions of Europeans that live in single family homes with lawns.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:35 AM

102,221 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00crashtest View Post
Sure, despite being wealthy, Western Europe (what we usually associate Europe with; excluding the British Isles) is densely populated. So, it's understandable why most Europeans (excluding the British Isles and Nordic countrues) don't live in single-family housing with yards all around because they can't, due to lack of developable land that doesn't intrude into nature reserves. However, why don't Europeans still complain that they don't have their own house with no one above or below them? After all, the British Isles (the UK and Ireland) and Japan are significantly more densely populated and still manage to have most of their residents living in townhouses (albeit with no yard and often without parking, unlike North American and Australian ones).
For one thing, European apartment buildings are probably built much better than American ones, so there's better sound-proofing (compared to none, in most US apt. buildings).

Old 07-09-2021, 08:47 AM

32,665 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Partly it is a cultural thing and partly it is a desire to live in the big cities where all the action is. In America, those who want to live in the middle of the big cities are also willing to live in apartments to do so because there are no free standing houses and apartments and apartment-like condos are the only option.

Another difference (compared to America) is that both cars and gasoline are quite expensive and that limits the car culture. It's expensive to live outside of town and to have to drive to stores for groceries and supplies and to get the kids to school.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:56 AM

5,766 posts, read 11,384,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
I live in North America (Virginia) and have lived in an apartment or condo the past nine years. Haven't owned a car in 10 years and haven't mowed a lawn since 2001... Shocking I know, but I prefer the urban/walkable/low maintenance/small living space environment over the suburbs any day (probably a product of growing up in downtown Savannah and walking to school up through high school as well as living and studying in France and Germany). Your original statement OP is not quite accurate for millions of Americans that like living in dense neighborhoods and cities as it is for millions of Europeans that live in single family homes with lawns.
Your observations are spot-on. I live in a 1961-built solid concrete apartment building with good additional insulation, and hear virtually no noise from neighbors above, below, or either side. It's less than a 10-minute walk to downtown, a neighborhood shopping center, and at least 5 grocery stores. The city transit system is quite good since it was designed to connect neighborhoods when few households owned cars (pre-1990 during the communist era).

I ride my bike all over the region and know that upon leaving the city center area, the residential density falls off quickly. Single homes start to appear more often 3 kilometers from downtown and become predominant 5 kilometers from downtown. In towns outside the main cities, single homes are also a mainstay.

dbcook, I often bike ride through a small city about 15 miles east of Chemnitz called Glauchau, in the state of Saxony. The "welcome" sign at the city entrance shows the partner cities (in the US called sister cities) of Glauchau, and one of the two is Lynchburg, VA! Glauchau is a fairly hilly small city along the Mulde River with an old city center and a castle, and more industrial prosperity in the past than in the present.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:40 AM

6,814 posts, read 4,257,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00crashtest View Post

Why do you think that they don't complain and don't want to live in a house? Truth is many people can't afford it (and that number is growing every year) and have simply accepted that as a reality of life. But I personally know people in Europe who have spent most of their adult lives saving up to be able to have a house eventually. It's still the dream for a lot of people - just an increasingly difficult one to realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe