Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which?
Slavic 1 5.88%
Romance 14 82.35%
Germanic 1 5.88%
Greek 0 0%
Albanian 0 0%
Celtic 0 0%
Finno-Ugric 1 5.88%
Basque 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,547 times

Advertisements

Slavic, Germanic, Celtic, Finno-Ugric, Romance, Albanian, Basque, or Greek?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 07:47 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,498,239 times
The Romance family of languages, especially Portuguese and Italian. I lived in Italy for a year thoroughly enjoying the language as I learned to communicate. I spent a week in Portugal and thought it was very melodious.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:41 PM

61,922 posts, read 87,512,332 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/euro...-language.html
Nothing changed since...

Old 07-24-2021, 01:36 AM

169 posts, read 130,747 times
For me it's a tie between Germanic, Slavic and Romance groups as I have favorites from all three:

From the Slavic group I find Czech, Russian and my own Bulgarian the most melodic. Polish sounds good only when spoken but not when sung (the many consonant clusters don't help when singing). I listen to Czech or Russian songs but hate most Serbian/Croatian and even Macedonian songs, the sounds they use are too harsh esp. with the initial stress! The only Slavic language with an initial stress I like is Czech! Slovak is harsher, harder-sounding than Czech, not as melodic. Haven't heard Belorussian or Ukrainian, maybe they sound nice, but they use Russian anyway.

From the Romance group Italian and Portuguese like xPlorer48 said sound the most melodic. I've studied French and find it overrated, effete & a mess of sounds. Romanian sounds terrible to me and Spanish is too harsh and like the language of peasantry (too many H sounds, lacks the "i" in some words making them sound harder e.g. madera vs Pt madeira). Latin American Spanish is better than the Iberian variant though! In 95% of the cases I prefer the Italian or Portuguese word to the French/Spanish version. Portuguese and Italian names are usually better-sounding as well (less harsh names like Piedad, Caridad, Soledad).

I like the sound of Finnish and Hungarian but they're a bit funny.
For the Germanic group, I love the sound of Swedish and Norwegian. I also like German. Danish is a bit messy and Dutch sounds terrible with those H sounds. English is the world language, I love many English-language songs. It's one of the best languages for singing, but at the same time it sounds too posh/annoying/effete when spoken (so it's the total opposite of Polish).

I don't like the sounds of Albanian, Celtic and Basque. For Greek it depends on who's speaking, sounds terrible/barbarian from some people, yet very nice and exotic from others. When a Brit or a Fenchman speaks we always assume he's kinda gay here.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:15 PM

296 posts, read 247,548 times
I like how some Romance languages sound because they often have multiple words in a row that end with the same letters. The built in rhyming makes the languages sound better to me. I'm mainly thinking about Italian and Spanish, but there are probably others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe