Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 01:33 AM

169 posts, read 131,695 times

Advertisements

Do you have any regrets wishing you did (not) learn a specific language? E.g. you discovered you don't care/like the country, or its culture or people and you like other places and cultures more?

I wish I learnt German instead of French - at my age it seems almost impossible to learn, esp. with the grammar and long compound words. I used to be much better at languages as a kid and teen. I remember growing up on German TV which back in the 90s was soooo good. Anyway, I love some German states and their culture, so it makes sense I regret not learning it and taking other languages instead.

Same for Swedish and Portuguese - lovely cultures.

Despite not being impressed with the locals in Prague I wish I had studied Czech instead of French as I discovered I love the whole region of Western Bohemia and the forests bordering on Germany/Bavaria. I hope the locals there are friendlier than those in Prague. I also like some Czech food, their national TV and the sound of the language and songs, so there's attraction there.

I regret learning French - although I work with it I don't dig the culture. I liked Paris but I don't think I'll ever visit again, there are other places I'd rather pay for visiting. France is like the popular jock everyone likes but is a jerk inside. Same for Spanish - I like Latin America but not Spain so I just wasted money learning it when there aren't that many Lat Am people here. I have a bad impression of them, esp. people from Madrid. What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 09:33 AM

9,451 posts, read 14,406,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcoolm View Post
Do you have any regrets wishing you did (not) learn a specific language? E.g. you discovered you don't care/like the country, or its culture or people and you like other places and cultures more?

What about you?
I learned Latin, and all the Romance languages and modern Greek to various degrees of fluency, and over a period of many years lived in such countries and worked professionally and academically with them and the people who speak them, as well as classical and other forms of ancient Greek.

I had many important and worthwhile experiences across all of them, but in the end came away less than impressed with contemporary European culture, more of a brittle shell in my view, and developed a passion for ancient literature instead.

So I regret not learning more classical Greek, not starting the study of Semitic languages until very late in life, and most likely not living long enough to learn Pali.

But I don't regret having lived in Italy, Portugal, Greece, even Hungary and Belgium for a spell, spending time in other central European countries, traveling extensively in Spain and visiting France and a few others.

Worse things could have happened to me.

Take care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe