Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 03:16 PM

958 posts, read 1,141,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy98 View Post
The young people are working off the books. To get a quality job in Southern Europe one must have good English language skills.

Being unemployed doesn’t mean you don’t work or have money. It means you don’t have a full time job with an unemployment contract

Someone who gets a job for a couple of weeks painting a home is unemployed, technically.
It's also works the way around, if one has a job that last only 3 months in a year he is statistically counted as a full time worker while he looks like more like an unemployed in my view

actual u.rate is at 20% I smell...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 12:35 AM

146 posts, read 89,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
It's also works the way around, if one has a job that last only 3 months in a year he is statistically counted as a full time worker while he looks like more like an unemployed in my view

actual u.rate is at 20% I smell...
No employer gives someone a contract for a three month out of the year job, for obvious tax purposes and just the cost of the paperwork.

I actually live in Spain and don’t just go by tidbits of articles I’m
Newspapers. Which of course often take things out of context.

Old 10-03-2021, 11:31 PM

297 posts, read 250,231 times
Spain and Italy have a lot of semi-arid territory, so agriculture is less productive. I think this trickles up into other industries and reduces the amount money to start businesses, so there are less jobs.

The jet stream favors Northern Europe, they get most of the rainfall. If the jet stream moves further north, Spain and Italy will get drier and the economic situation will get even worse.

Old 10-07-2021, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalens View Post
Spain and Italy have a lot of semi-arid territory, so agriculture is less productive. I think this trickles up into other industries and reduces the amount money to start businesses, so there are less jobs.

The jet stream favors Northern Europe, they get most of the rainfall. If the jet stream moves further north, Spain and Italy will get drier and the economic situation will get even worse.
Spain is a major agricultural área. They grow olives, citrus, and other plants that cannot grow in Northern Europe. Plus a lot of grain and livestock are grown in.

Most of Spain doesn’t get ftost. The rain falls in semi arid areas in the fall and winter. Summers have almost no rain.

Agriculture is not a problem here or Italy.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:42 PM

3,575 posts, read 2,940,580 times
Quote:
Spain is a major agricultural área. They grow olives, citrus, and other plants that cannot grow in Northern Europe. Plus a lot of grain and livestock are grown in.

Most of Spain doesn’t get ftost. The rain falls in semi arid areas in the fall and winter. Summers have almost no rain.

I wonder how many young people want to grow saffron for a living.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTf93VI4O9s
I can’t understand Spanish but the translation is ridiculous.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:42 AM

10,458 posts, read 15,339,786 times
Quote:

Yeah, the olive oil sold in supermarkets in the Dominican Republic basically are imported from Spain (at least the most common ones to find in people's home.) Yes, I know the DR was a colony of Spain for about 300 years, so it goes without saying that Spanish companies and products have an edge over products from most other countries simply because they are from Spain (though according to a recent study, when there is a local brand in a segment with similar or better quality, people prefer that over imports. Ironically, some supermarket chains have their own cheaper brands of olive oil and despite that, their olive oil is also imported from Spain while brands from Spain are imported ready to sell, already packaged in bottles and all.*) Still, a place can't export something if it isn't a producer in the first place.

I wouldn't be surprised if Spanish olive oil brands are the most sold throughout Spanish America. Even Cuba is probably like that, because the embargo doesn't includes Spain.

* This is an example of a local brand if olive oil found in Bravo supermarkets only, which is a local supermarket chain. Notice on the lower right, despite this is a local brand the olive oil itself is imported from Spain too. The only things they probably make locally are the labels, the bottles, and their caps.

https://es-la.facebook.com/Supermerc...1537395894334/

Old 10-18-2021, 11:01 AM

5,099 posts, read 3,380,888 times
The Eugenio Monesma videos of old trades in Spain, like the one about saffron post #15 the old trades were slowly lost to industry. He filmed many years , the old folks who still know the old ways of doing heavy work.
The videos at settings can be translated to english.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Neket5mpe8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2vwDCvcOFA&t=138s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFbjGCvhHsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY6HmvutEUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvoDsciOyKc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3O95AqxWLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gux57RQDBoM

Old 10-19-2021, 10:07 AM

9,483 posts, read 14,447,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Spanish olive oil brands are the most sold throughout Spanish America. Even Cuba is probably like that, because the embargo doesn't includes Spain.
Spanish olive oils are dominant even in certain markets in the US, certainly in Miami, especially after reports several years ago that several Italian brands are tainted.

The Spanish olive oil here is not the best quality, but it provides the best value for everyday consumption.

To stay on topic, yes, while Spain and Italy still dominate certain food markets abroad, it is not enough to keep educated young people gainfully employed.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:36 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,167,672 times
Given that Spain and Italy's economies are about 74% service, not too far under about 80% for the United States, maybe some of the attitudinal worker problems exist there too. The US worker is pulling back these days, finding ways (and excuses) not to work, holding out for something prestigious and refusing to perform "lesser" service jobs. No doubt some of this is playing out in Spain and Italy as well, especially by those with college degrees.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Spanish olive oils are dominant even in certain markets in the US, certainly in Miami, especially after reports several years ago that several Italian brands are tainted.

The Spanish olive oil here is not the best quality, but it provides the best value for everyday consumption.

To stay on topic, yes, while Spain and Italy still dominate certain food markets abroad, it is not enough to keep educated young people gainfully employed.
Educated young people don’t work in olive fields for starters.

Those stats show high unemployment precisely because many people work in low paying industryies that don’t bother to file the paperwork for legal employment.

Yes, there are professional people in Spain and Italy. Universities graduate lots of them.

The university of Google doesn’t make you an expert on these kinds of topics, which are far more complex than the average article and without context it’s impossible to understand what’s going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe