Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which nation are Albanians closer to
Serbs 4 44.44%
Greeks 3 33.33%
Italians 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 11:11 AM

419 posts, read 343,516 times

Advertisements

If you want to elaborate it's ok, but please don't overdo it, as the rest of the votes should be unbiased
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 02:43 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,935,688 times
I don’t know much about Albanians, but considering they are of Muslim background then they probably are more similar to Bosnians or Turks?

Old 09-21-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I don’t know much about Albanians, but considering they are of Muslim background then they probably are more similar to Bosnians or Turks?
Sure, but these two muslim nations are not in the poll

Old 09-21-2021, 05:11 PM

9,369 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I don't know the history in detail, but I believe that Albanians are descendants of ancient Illyrians and their language is distinct in that sense, unlike the rest of the Balkan peninsula where Slavic has dominated since the invasions of the 600s, I believe, less Greece, of course, but some assert that many Greeks are of Slavic descent.

The Turks did not invade until around the 1300s. Not sure what "Muslim" has to do with this. Not sure to what extent Turkish has influenced the Albanian language, or Slavic for that matter, but there must be some words and expressions that one can point to.

It seems that Soviet-style governing ideas came to dominate in the 1940s-1980s period, does that make Albanians like Russians? To what extent has Russian influenced the Albanian language? Still, even during the period of Soviet domination, the Albanians continued with a certain distinctness, but so did other peoples of the Balkans. To what extent did Albanians continue a distinctness during the Turkish period? I don't know, but probably to a significant extent in view of the pattern of Soviet times.

Maybe someone with knowledge can answer those questions and elaborate.

I don't like any of the three choices, because it seems that Albanians are mostly distinct, but I would have to go with Greece among them only because I did encounter Albanians when I lived in Greece, mostly peaceful interactions, though my experiences are narrow.

Hope this helps, a little.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:12 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,935,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I don't know the history in detail, but I believe that Albanians are descendants of ancient Illyrians and their language is distinct in that sense, unlike the rest of the Balkan peninsula where Slavic has dominated since the invasions of the 600s, I believe, less Greece, of course, but some assert that many Greeks are of Slavic descent.

The Turks did not invade until around the 1300s. Not sure what "Muslim" has to do with this. Not sure to what extent Turkish has influenced the Albanian language, or Slavic for that matter, but there must be some words and expressions that one can point to.

It seems that Soviet-style governing ideas came to dominate in the 1940s-1980s period, does that make Albanians like Russians? To what extent has Russian influenced the Albanian language? Still, even during the period of Soviet domination, the Albanians continued with a certain distinctness, but so did other peoples of the Balkans. To what extent did Albanians continue a distinctness during the Turkish period? I don't know, but probably to a significant extent in view of the pattern of Soviet times.

I don't like any of the three choices, because it seems that Albanians are mostly distinct, but I would have to go with Greece among them only because I did encounter Albanians when I lived in Greece, mostly peaceful interactions, though my experiences are narrow.

I wasn’t referring to the language but the culture as the OP stated, and yes religion plays a huge role in culture, just look at the Serbs, Croats and Bosnians. They all objectively are the same ethnic group and speak more or less the same language, but culturally they are all distinct because of the role that religion plays in their communities. (Serbs are Orthodox, Croats are Catholic and Bosnians are Muslim). And yes politics do influence culture as well, or rather the culture influences the politics. So yes I would assume based of the political past Albanians are closest to Serbs since Greece and Italy were capitalist democracies. But of course Serbs and Albanians don’t have the greatest relations considering Kosovo, which I don’t want to get into since that is a hornets nest.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:32 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
I would have to say Greece. Serbia is just too different. And Italy is way way way different. Macedonia or Bulgaria or even Montenegro would be more apropos.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:10 AM

6,811 posts, read 4,254,250 times
Albania is quite distinct culturally from its neighbors, so this is going to be difficult.

But there's a historical Albanian community in Italy with little Albanian settlements sprinkled all over Southern Italy. There are also a lot of recent Albanian migrants in Italy. It's worth noting that there are considerably more Albanian Catholics than Albanian Orthodox Christians. I think this creates some not insignificant links between Albania and Italy.

On the flip side of course Italy has been a NATO/EU nation for the last 75 years and even the rural Mezzogiorno is more developed than rural Albania. The experience of isolation under Communist rule likely gives today's Albanians a lot of shared points with other Balkans people. But then again, the relations between Albanians and their Slavic neighbors are fairly poor and marked by conflict. So while (perhaps because?) Albanians and Serbs live in close proximity they don't have much time for each other.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

Bale, in my op i said "dont overdo it with elaboration" because i want votes to be unbiased.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:10 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
Bale, in my op i said "dont overdo it with elaboration" because i want votes to be unbiased.
But the elaboration is the interesting part. Bale's response was was the best & most well-informed and insightful, IMO. Besides, your choices were too narrow.

There's a lot more to Albanian culture than Islam. Albanian culture goes back thousands of years before Islam, and before Sovietism. The rural culture (which was everything, basically, for most of the Albanian people's history) was the same as throughout the Balkans: sheepherding, hunting, gathering. This lasted well into modern times, as it has elsewhere in the Balkans. Up to the current day, even.

Linguistically, Albanian has ties with Romanian that go back thousands of years, as well. So I'd vote for Romania, just on general principle.

Sorry if this post is too "elaborate" for your preference. I couldn't restrain myself. This would be a great topic, if it weren't for the somewhat arbitrary restrictions. Don't be surprised if us peasants rise up and revolt against your seemingly despotic attempts to control our freedom of speech. It's a discussion forum, after all, not so much a voting forum (with pre-chosen ballot items reminiscent of Soviet times, dare I say).

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-23-2021 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-23-2021, 10:47 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times
Most Albanian Muslims are not observant in the way those from the Arabian peninsula are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe