Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 11:57 PM

272 posts, read 165,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I assume you know this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwMnr1mCryg
That was beautiful! I'd never heard it. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 10:27 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The British generally just laugh off French insults, whilst Ricain it meaningless in Britain and not considered an insult.

:
Well yeah. Anglosphere types (Canadians, Brits, Aussies, Kiwis) sometimes or often use "Yanks" or "Yankees" to refer to Americans.

Which is either amusing or annoying to the majority(?) of Americans who don't live in the north-east or north-central part of the country.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:57 AM

27,154 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolEverything View Post
Wow! Zemmour said that about us... ricains ? I don't understand why he'd hate us. I don't know why the French despise us. I mean, I do pick the corn out of my remaining teeth before cleaning the stables.

But he was right--every blessed blistering word--about Macron at Villepinte. Macron is not only an emotionally stunted adolescent, he is a void. He's frankly terrifying.

But if you're in rosbif land, yooz guys have your own bad boy to worry about tonight, dontcha? That's too bad, because Boris Johnson is immensely forgivable. Macron is just plain dangerous, but Johnson is merely classist. And, Hello! It's the UK!

Well, enough for one night from an opinionated Yank/Ric/'Loque. Back to slopping the hogs.
The French term 'Rosbifs' originated from the British style of cooking.

So it's a fairly idiotic insult.

Most ordinary people in Britain and France get on perfectly well, and the French even have their own little enclave in South Kensington in London, complete with French schools and a French cultural centre, as well as French boulangeries, cafes and restaurants.

[Mod cut: politics/off topic]

Last edited by elnina; 12-11-2021 at 09:33 AM..

Old 12-10-2021, 07:45 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,287,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I assume you know this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwMnr1mCryg

Yeah my point is that being italian is hardly a probability of being a target of racism in France anymore.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:16 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,566,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The French term 'Rosbifs' originated from the British style of cooking.

So it's a fairly idiotic insult.

Most ordinary people in Britain and France get on perfectly well, and the French even have their own little enclave in South Kensington in London, complete with French schools and a French cultural centre, as well as French boulangeries, cafes and restaurants.
[Mod cut: politics/off topic]
Why is it idiotic? Is it more idiotic than "Frogs"?

Last edited by elnina; 12-11-2021 at 09:33 AM..

Old 12-11-2021, 07:23 AM

27,154 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Why is it idiotic? Is it more idiotic than "Frogs"?
I never mentioned the term Frog, although it is also fairly idiotic.

Rosbif is even more idiotic when it's spray painted on the graves of the British war dead in France.

BBC NEWS | UK | Why do the French call the British 'the roast beefs'?

Old 12-13-2021, 02:06 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,728,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolEverything View Post
I tried to edit my response to Rozenn but was unable. That has never happened before on City-Data.

In regard to "babtous" in verlan, what exactly would "toubabs" mean? "Tout"... babs? But what is "babs" in French?
"Toubab" is/was a slightly derogaroty term for white/French/colonizer in parts of West Africa (mainly in Senegal and places directly east it seems, dunno for sure). Seems to be related to Wolof rather than French!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe