Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2021, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 14,914 times

Advertisements

Whenever people talk about traveling or moving to another country/city they never mention Lyon...while they always talk about many German cities(Hamburg, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Cologne...), cities in UK(Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh).

I think that Lyon is better city for so many things then above mentioned cities. It has better climate (warmer, more sunshine, less rainy days) better food.

Easy to travel to so many different cities(Paris, Marseille, Toulouse, Montpelier) that are 2 hours or less away by train. Geneva is also less than 2 hours away by car.

It has better and cheaper public transport than all those cities in UK(i am not considering London). It is closer to the mountains and nice beach destinations than any city in Germany and UK.

Lyon is more convenient as a city than any city in UK. Cities in UK have amazing city centers but when you move from that area there is literally nothing...here and there you have some shops/restaurants on intersections and that's all ... while in Lyon you have shops/restaurants everywhere, wherever you go(like in Paris).

Also Lyon has better architecture (similar to one in Paris). So many nice old looking buildings that you just have here and there in German and UK cities. River in Lyon is used so much better than rivers in any of those cities, plus there is a mountain in the middle of the city where you have amazing "La Basilique Notre Dame".

Regarding economy salaries are on par...but nice apartments are way cheaper than apartments in Germany...while apartments in UK cities cost even less than in Lyon.

So guys can you tell me what's the reason for Lyon being so underrated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 01:34 PM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uros87 View Post
Whenever people talk about traveling or moving to another country/city they never mention Lyon...while they always talk about many German cities(Hamburg, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Cologne...), cities in UK(Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh).

I think that Lyon is better city for so many things then above mentioned cities. It has better climate (warmer, more sunshine, less rainy days) better food.

Easy to travel to so many different cities(Paris, Marseille, Toulouse, Montpelier) that are 2 hours or less away by train. Geneva is also less than 2 hours away by car.

It has better and cheaper public transport than all those cities in UK(i am not considering London). It is closer to the mountains and nice beach destinations than any city in Germany and UK.

Lyon is more convenient as a city than any city in UK. Cities in UK have amazing city centers but when you move from that area there is literally nothing...here and there you have some shops/restaurants on intersections and that's all ... while in Lyon you have shops/restaurants everywhere, wherever you go(like in Paris).

Also Lyon has better architecture (similar to one in Paris). So many nice old looking buildings that you just have here and there in German and UK cities. River in Lyon is used so much better than rivers in any of those cities, plus there is a mountain in the middle of the city where you have amazing "La Basilique Notre Dame".

Regarding economy salaries are on par...but nice apartments are way cheaper than apartments in Germany...while apartments in UK cities cost even less than in Lyon.

I am not sure I have ever heard about people going on about UK cities, when they discuss moving.

The public transport is quite good in major UK cities, with Manchester and Edinburgh having tram systems, whilst Glasgow has a subway and Liverpool has Merseyrail, which has a large underground section.

As for suburbs, UK towns tend to have some pleasant suburbs.

I am sure Lyon is a great city, however I am not sure why you are comparing it to British cities, as it's closer to Switzerland and Geneva, as well Turin and Milan in Italy ,as well as the South of France than it is to the UK.

There is now a Eurostar direct from London to Marseille that stops at Lyon, and hopefully once the pandemic is finally over, Lyon v an enjoy more tourism from thev UK and other parts of Europe.

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-01-2021 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-01-2021, 01:45 PM

9 posts, read 14,914 times
I compare them to UK cities and German cities cause all those cities are way more popular...for no reason. And i took those 3 counties to compare cause they are very popular among tourists and among those ones who want to move to another country for work.

I am not saying that public transport is bad in UK but its better and cheaper in Lyon. Lyon has 4 metro lines, plus trams, plus buses...and on top of that you dont depend so much from city center cause as i mentioned in my first post you have shops/restaurants all around the city.

Old 12-01-2021, 02:42 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,964,186 times
Quote:

Your post has made me much more interested in visiting Lyon than i was thinking. I have booked a trip to Toulouse in June and visiting a part of the country i have never seen. Does Toulouse favorably compare to Lyon?

Old 12-04-2021, 04:05 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
Because Paris overshadows everything else for foreigners.

Old 12-04-2021, 06:24 AM

910 posts, read 367,719 times
Quote:

Lyon is a beautiful city! Being from Southern California, I like that it has lots of sunshine. As far as I’m concerned, you never can have to much sun!

Old 12-04-2021, 08:40 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
I compare them to UK cities and German cities cause all those cities are way more popular...for no reason. And i took those 3 counties to compare cause they are very popular among tourists and among those ones who want to move to another country for work.

I am not saying that public transport is bad in UK but its better and cheaper in Lyon. Lyon has 4 metro lines, plus trams, plus buses...and on top of that you dont depend so much from city center cause as i mentioned in my first post you have shops/restaurants all around the city.
Former UK and German post industrial cities are not that tourist orientated.

Whilst in terms of your public transport analysis, you seem to have forgotten the vast regional rail networks that surround many of the cities you mention.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:35 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 12 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,924,923 times
Everything except Paris, and Nice really appears not well known enough for France. And deserve much more admiration and attention.

Marseille, Lyon, Montpellier, Toulouse, Grenoble, Chamonix, Lille, Bordeaux, Strasbourg, Narbonne, Perpignan, Bayonne, Nantes, Ajaccio, Clermont Ferrand, Le Havre, Metz, Avignon, Amiens, Orleans, Dijon, Chalon Sur Saone, Besancon are other national treasures. At least 23 already. I bet there is at least 30+ that really have to get the simultaneous crowds of tourists.

Last edited by ; 02-01-2022 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe