Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:09 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,313 times

Advertisements

Inspired by the Slavic thread.

Let's talk about the mutual intelligibility and similarities of the Germanic languages. Like between the Slavic languages, there is also many similarities and in some also mutual intelligibility between Germanic languages:

West Germanic:
English
Scots
Frisian
German
Luxembourgish
Yiddish
Dutch
Afrikaans

North Germanic:
Swedish
Danish
Norwegian
Icelandic
Faroese
Elfdalian
Modern Gutnish

East Germanic:
Gothic (extinct)

As a speaker of Swedish (North Germanic) I understand both Norwegian and Danish. However Icelandic and Faroese is much harder but there is many similarities there as well, allthough not intelligeble. Out of the West Germanic languages, I would say that Swedish is the most similar to German which is not intelligible with Swedish but if I hear people speaking German I can at least get a good hint about what they are talking about. German and Dutch is said to be partially intelligeble with eachothers, and Dutch is mutally intelligible with Afrikaans. There is also several dialects within in Germany that may or may not be considered as languages, most noteably Low German (Plattdeutsch). Also Swiss German is very different from High German (Standard German).

Note to English speakers: For a language to be Germanic it does not have to be like German, which is a common misconception in the English speaking world just cause they named the country Deutschland as "Germany". Swedish and Danish for example is just as Germanic as German is, and so is English. There is not any standard Germanic language allthough English is the most widely spoken Germanic language in the world. The only language mutually intelligible with English is Scots, but it's disputed whether that is a language or not, but Scots is recognized as a language under the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-14-2013 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 PM

Here is the Scots language for those who are intrested, the only language that is considered as mutually intelligible with English, both belonging to the Anglo-Frisian family, along with Frisian.

The Scots Language - YouTube

Old 11-14-2013, 09:23 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
West Germanic:
English - Native Speaker
Scots - No problem.
Frisian - Not familiar.
German - Second Language Speaker of High German. After some coaching can read Low German, but still have some problems with spoken Plattdüütsch. It is difficult for me to understand people from eastern Germany. It is worse than Swiss German for me. I was watching a documentary about cops in Leipzig and I wanted to break the coffee table with my head.
Luxembourgish - Not familiar.
Yiddish - Intelligible for the most part.
Dutch - About 60% intelligible spoken with cues. Can read it pretty well. Flemish is the dialect I understand the best.
Afrikaans - Not familiar.

North Germanic:
Swedish - Nope.
Danish - Nope.
Norwegian - It definitely sounds like I should know it but don't.
Icelandic - After a recent trip to Iceland, that is a definite nope. I'd say 5-10% at best.
Faroese - Not familiar, but after Iceland, I'm guessing nope.
Elfdalian - Not familiar.
Modern Gutnish - Not familiar.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:44 PM

It's said that if you understand Dutch and maybe even German, you should also be able to understand Afrikaans (the language spoken by white South Africans)

TV Nuus, Mylpaal vir Dalene Matthee, een miljoen boeke verkoop in Afrikaans - YouTube

afrikaans - kom sing saam - YouTube

Old 11-14-2013, 10:02 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
It's said that if you understand Dutch and maybe even German, you should also be able to understand Afrikaans (the language spoken by white South Africans)
Backwards. German is my second language. Dutch is a good part intelligible through German.

After listening to the video, I'd rank Dutch in order of intelligibility like this:

1) Flemish
2) Standard Dutch
3) Afrikaans

Old 11-14-2013, 10:07 PM

For those who wonders what Modern Gutnish and Elfdalian is, they are very small North Germanic languages, both from Sweden. Modern Gutnish is spoken in parts of the Swedish island of Gotland, and can be described as a mix between Low German (Plattdüütsch) and archaic Swedish and Danish, with influences of Old Gutnish.

Elfdalian is an ancient North Germanic language that has not evolved much in the last 800 years or so, spoken by around 3,000 people in Älvdalen in Sweden. They used Runic script until as late as early 20th century.

Modern Gutnish:

The unofficial Gotland Song 'Marlickos Vendla' - YouTube

Elfdalian:

Elfdalian Song - Bufyörswaisa - Övdalsfuäk - YouTube

I'm a native Swedish speaker, but I don't understand these 2 languages except a few words, mabye 5 or 10%. They are not intelligible with other North Germanic languages

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-14-2013 at 10:24 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 11:20 PM

And here is Luxembourgish:

Lëtzebuergesch léieren Planet RTL - YouTube

Old 11-15-2013, 12:43 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times
West Germanic:
English - first language 100%
Scots - 75%
Frisian - even though it's the language closets to old English, hard to understand - 25%
German - 20% (understand it better in text)
Luxembourgish - 15%
Yiddish - N/A
Dutch. - 20%
Afrikaans - 20%

North Germanic:
Swedish - 25-30% (listen to Swedish radio)
Danish - 20%
Norwegian - 20%
Icelandic - 20%
Faroese -N/A
Elfdalian -N/A
Modern Gutnish 15%

East Germanic:
Gothic (extinct) N/A

I would say that the Scandinavian languages are generally the easiest to understand at least in my case. I can hear words quite clearly through the accents or words that are similar to a word in English, but a lesser used English word e.g. hund = hound / dog, spöke = spook / ghost and barn = similar to how the Scots say "bairn" to refer to a child or lastly mörk = murky / dark (I'm sure the same applies to many other Germanic languages but using the OP's native language as an example).

When it comes to numbers, I can say at least 75-80% for both Swedish and German and this would most likely apply to the other Germanic languages if I heard numbers in those languages on a regular basis.

German is easier to read than to hear. I guess they have a lot of regional accents that make it more difficult to understand.

Still all Germanic languages are easier for me to understand and potentially communicate in than any of the Romance languages, including Spanish which I learned at school but never could master. In general as an English speaker, if you really listen a couple of tomes you can pick out certain words or expressions or even understand entire sentences.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:01 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times
Old English (Beowulf). We should have kept the language this way:

Beowulf in Old English (Prologue) - YouTube

Song in modern Frisian (can recognize a fair number of words and sounds somewhat gentler than Dutch):

Swalker, a Frisian song about wandering through Friesland - YouTube

Old 11-15-2013, 01:22 AM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Inspired by the Slavic thread.

Let's talk about the mutual intelligibility and similarities of the Germanic languages. Like between the Slavic languages, there is also many similarities and in some also mutual intelligibility between Germanic languages:

West Germanic:
English
Scots
Frisian
German
Luxembourgish
Yiddish
Dutch
Afrikaans

North Germanic:
Swedish
Danish
Norwegian
Icelandic
Faroese
Elfdalian
Modern Gutnish

East Germanic:
Gothic (extinct)

As a speaker of Swedish (North Germanic) I understand both Norwegian and Danish. However Icelandic and Faroese is much harder but there is many similarities there as well, allthough not intelligeble. Out of the West Germanic languages, I would say that Swedish is the most similar to German which is not intelligible with Swedish but if I hear people speaking German I can at least get a good hint about what they are talking about. German and Dutch is said to be partially intelligeble with eachothers, and Dutch is mutally intelligible with Afrikaans. There is also several dialects within in Germany that may or may not be considered as languages, most noteably Low German (Plattdeutsch). Also Swiss German is very different from High German (Standard German).

Note to English speakers: For a language to be Germanic it does not have to be like German, which is a common misconception in the English speaking world just cause they named the country Deutschland as "Germany". Swedish and Danish for example is just as Germanic as German is, and so is English. There is not any standard Germanic language allthough English is the most widely spoken Germanic language in the world. The only language mutually intelligible with English is Scots, but it's disputed whether that is a language or not, but Scots is recognized as a language under the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages.
It's interesting to notice, that in spite of such relatively small territory in Europe that it covers, Germanic language has so many varieties ( I'm talking about all these Swedish-German dialects that you've mentioned before, plus Norwegian and whatever other languages are close there,) yet through the whole span of Russian territory, Russian language is pretty much monolithic and the same, with no particular dialects ( that's why probably Ukrainian and Belorussian come as close as it gets to idea of "Russian dialect.")
It's clearly a very different picture when it comes to Germanic group of languages.
I wonder why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe