Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 01:22 AM

8,501 posts, read 8,794,511 times

Advertisements

Have some curiosity about the degree of tourism and vibe of Lienz Austria. Just beginning a closer look online. Have you been there? What was your general reaction to the town and the immediate region? Anything surprise in a major way, good or not?

Looking at the possibility of a smaller quieter (maybe cheaper?) Tirol hub than some the other Austrian and Italian alternatives without going real small. Could be for a few days or a week during summer or early fall timeframe (for hiking) as part of a bigger trip.

Pros and cons compared to Badgastein?

Last edited by elnina; Yesterday at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Correcting typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Maybe a mod can correct to Linz and Bad Gastein. Thank you.

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I noticed it, but determined that Lienz also exists in Austria. Therefore I didn't made the correction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lienz

And so is Badgastein, although l think it's just a different way of spelling. I might be wrong, though...

Note that he is asking for comparison of those two small Tirol hubs. I don't think he would want compare Linz to Badgastein.
OP??

Last edited by elnina; Yesterday at 05:32 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I noticed it, but determined that Lienz also exists in Austria. Therefore I didn't made the correction.

And so is Badgastein, although l think it's just a different way of spelling. I might be wrong, though...

Note that he is asking for comparison of those two small Tirol hubs. I don't think he would want compare Linz to Badgastein.
OP??
Thank you. I am interested to see OP's itinerary based on his CD postings.

Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM

I meant Lienz and Badgastein. I was aware of Linz name similarity and alternative spelling / probably proper spelling in German language of Bad Gastein but wanted to keep the post simple.

(Freyburg and Freiburg Germany and Fribourg Switzerland also caused some discussion in past.)

Comments on these 2 places welcome, though not considered that likely or essential. Probably rare for American tourists, especially Lienz.

Noticed for location. Prefer to avoid major tourist areas and had a thought that they might have advantage by that criteria to Bolzano / Bozen and Innsbruck.

I might mix bigger / busier with smaller or even small. I am still considering what would be most desirable for me.

I was just mentioning something of mild interest, spur of moment while stopping by this forum section for first time in awhile, in case it might draw useful info; but I expect to dig further on internet as main source of knowledge.

Yesterday I learned that East Tirol was warmer than north of the range crest and that they had "Mediterranean influences" and even palm trees that they wheel out of winter greenhouses during warm weather.

Drava river seems like a notable feature worth learning more about.

Curious how major the Italian influence is now after past historical connections and continuing trade relations. Saw one site say lots of Italian merchants come up to participate in local day markets.

Snapshot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lienz#...enz_gesamt.jpg

12k population. Wondering how many thousands extra in summer and if they are mainly Austrian, Italian or many from elsewhere. I guess I could try to get a count of accommodation listings.

Mildly interested in Badgastein for the restored old hostels and an assumed food scene with it. Not interested in the baths particularly but maybe a bit.

Last edited by NW Crow; Yesterday at 10:06 PM..

Old Today, 09:47 AM

Lienz apparently has 2 nearby ski resorts. Odds are it is fairly hopping in summer. But busy is a relative scale.

Old Today, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

OP??
Thank you!

Old Today, 04:18 PM

I watched a dozen videos on Lienz and a half dozen on Bad Gastein. I now have a beginner feel for what they are like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe