Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:07 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times

Advertisements

Most Obnoxious Tourists? The French - TIME
Remember the tightwad tourist whose baggy shorts, frequent complaining and shouted questions about why none of the locals spoke any English made the ugly American the world's Visitor From Hell? Well, it's time for Archie Bunker to move over and make way for Petulant Pierre.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-07-2008 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: copyright issues-- please see the TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
In my experience a majority of Italians traveling abroad dress quite relaxed. So I think it's more a stereotype than anything else. How people dress is also a socio-economic thing. In reality a lot of Scandinavians (well, maybe not rural Norway) dress very fashion forward, in particular the people living in inner city Stockholm.

Brits are known as the most obnoxious tourists in many Mediterranean countries. Then again they aren't exactly the the crème de la crème of British society. The British underclass that travel more to Spain than France also think the French are arrogant.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
In my experience, the Germans have it all over any other nationality. As tourists, their rudeness is legendary.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:20 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,912 times
From my experience, I do agree the Japanese are very polite tourist while the Chinese are by far the loudest. Russians and English are pretty obnoxious as well. Spanish are cool.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:10 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,575 times
I'm French and to be honest sometimes I feel ashamed by the behaviour of some of my
fellow-citizen abroad.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:30 AM

291 posts, read 831,817 times
My personal opinion: the best – Germans, the worst – English.

Though just recently we had a media coverage of a group of French doctors and professors (!) that did a lot of mess on their tour of Croatian islands: urinating and sex inside old churches, drug abuse, sexual harassing of a tourist guide, refusing to pay tickets, shouting, you name it. Locals (only old folks live there) were shocked.

But the truth is such behavior is not typical for French visitors.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 AM

What do the English do which makes them the worst? I've heard a lot of Greeks complain about British (particularly English) tourists who basically take over their towns in high season. It's such a shame the locals have to go through such terror. I guess the chav scum that mind you are not representative of all English, have been arrogant when it comes to local customs. They probably think they can do as they please and get away with it like in Britain where yob culture prevails. I'm afraid these are the same people who complain about immigrants coming to Britain and not adjusting yet they make their own little Britain in Spain, Greece or Turkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer View Post
My personal opinion: the best –
Germans, the worst – English.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:26 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Germans are the worst without a doubt. Loud, claiming poolside chairs the night before, bossy, chaotic, etc. Do they behave the same way when the visit Israel?

Young Brits in large, drunken packs claim second place. Those pale faces with booze-soaked, red splotches warrant a laugh though.

Canadian students with their "Kiss Me I'm a Wonderful Canadian and You Should Love Me" silliness are a bit sad. Has anybody ever cared?

All three of these suffer from the same thing- the pack mentality. Break them down into couples or trios and they are fine.

We Yanks used to be horrid, but political correctness has turned us into the silent (Uncle) Sams of the world. Still, could the good people of Gotham, Dallas, Topeka and Tulsa please stand to the right on the Metro escalators? Thank you.

The French have always struck me as decent tourists.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Germans are the worst without a doubt. Loud, claiming poolside chairs the night before, bossy, chaotic, etc. Do they behave the same way when the visit Israel?
That is how (mostly older and obese) German tourists in the Mediterranean are known by Brits and some Scandinavians.

Why do you bring up Israel?

Quote:
Young Brits in large, drunken packs claim second place. Those pale faces with booze-soaked, red splotches warrant a laugh though.
These are the so-called chavs: http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/cc...0/22/chavs.jpg.

They are like an inbred race of their own and their numbers increase at an alarming rate. It's quite funny how a lot of people throughout the world has an image of a merrie England which may only hold true in parts of the Cotswolds, if even that.

The laws in England and Wales are quite lenient. People are scared of these youth that terrorise people in the streets. They get easily beaten up when they pull the same stunt in Greece or Turkey. In the same way English hooligans may be a problem in England but they are effectively dealt with in countries where police are allowed to crack down on yobs.

I'm afraid England is going down. I know old English gentlemen (some of whom served for the country in WW2) who have been physically attacked by such scum.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Why do you bring up Israel?
Just being ironic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe