Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 04:45 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times

Advertisements

I know there has been alot of talk about native europeans interactions with newer arrivals, but both currently and historically, is it common for Europeans to date/mingle amongst themselves as well? I mean, with the EU and all, is there an increase of inter-ethnic meeting. Historically, is it common for Europeans to say date each other (ie: German man meets French girl?)

I'm not big on European history so please enlighten?

Old 06-17-2009, 05:18 PM

221 posts, read 535,296 times
Hmm... Nah, I don't think it's all that common, mostly because of the language barriers.

Especially with huge countries like France and Germany the people often suck badly at speaking other languages, so it'd be very problematic!!

Though my mom is from Norway and she married my dad, who is from Russia!

Old 06-17-2009, 06:13 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I know there has been alot of talk about native europeans interactions with newer arrivals, but both currently and historically, is it common for Europeans to date/mingle amongst themselves as well? I mean, with the EU and all, is there an increase of inter-ethnic meeting. Historically, is it common for Europeans to say date each other (ie: German man meets French girl?)

I'm not big on European history so please enlighten?
I agree with Bergenser (City of Rain). Europeans' way of viewing "race"/ethnicity is very different from the way Americans do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
Hmm... Nah, I don't think it's all that common, mostly because of the language barriers.

Especially with huge countries like France and Germany the people often suck badly at speaking other languages, so it'd be very problematic!!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post

I have to say, you saying "Huge" to describe France and Germany seems funny to me.

Anyway, I think it would work with language types (Romance Languages, Germanic languages) due to them being similar in several ways.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I actually saw it as very common. Maybe it was just the circles I was involved in? Generally couples would communicate in English whether or not that was either of their first languages. It tends to be more common among the higher educated.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:09 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
imho, there is a "hierarchy" in ethnicities as well as in languages/idioms, following a general north-south pattern.

certain ethnicities, however, like the baltic ones, may slowly disappear without anyone even realizing anymore.

just a thought.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 AM

43 posts, read 86,444 times
I would say it´s very common. In my closest circle of friends, three have girlfriends/wives from other european countries(Finland, Germany and Italy) and one of my aunts is married to an englishman.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I have to say, you saying "Huge" to describe France and Germany seems funny to me.

Anyway, I think it would work with language types (Romance Languages, Germanic languages) due to them being similar in several ways.
why? France has a population that is almost as big as California. Wouldnt you sa that California is a huge state within the US? Germanys population is way bigger, with 80 million people - a huge country within the EU.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:41 PM

11 posts, read 27,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
I agree with Bergenser (City of Rain). Europeans' way of viewing "race"/ethnicity is very different from the way Americans do.
Unless one has traveled abroad, this fact may not be quite so obvious. Could you explain said differences? (Not necessarily encyclopedic, haha but highlights would be nice.)

Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurise View Post
Unless one has traveled abroad, this fact may not be quite so obvious. Could you explain said differences? (Not necessarily encyclopedic, haha but highlights would be nice.)
The states of the US are tighter bound together than the countries of the EU. the US states are much more similar in terms of culture, tradition and of course language, which i believe is the main reason why its more common to find a partner from the same country. it's also harder to move around in the EU than in the US, again cause the countries arent as tightly bound together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe