Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 04:36 PM

7 posts, read 28,496 times

Advertisements

Was looking at some video clips on You-tube of Athens Greece and a few taken from helicopter tours and it looked like a HUGE city. From what I've read the whole metro area is only four million...that's much smaller than Atlanta Georgia but to me Athens looked much bigger than say Chicago. Anyway it sure looks like it has much more than four million. Just doesn't make sense or maybe it's not as big as it looks. Anyone know about this? Thanks.

William
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 08:16 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,728,455 times
Athens is much more compact than an American city like Chicago. The urban area mostly consists in apartment buildings, whithout much single family housing apart from the northern suburbs. The dense area is about 10 miles across, bigger than most cities of its size. It gives Athens this "endless apartment sea of apartment buildings" look:
http://www.grimble.de/Snapshots/athens2004/IMGP4698.JPG

Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,855 times
Yes, Athens is very compact with endless multi story buildings that can be called apartments but are mostly privately owned (condos). Athens city proper is not that big. If you're comparing the metro areas, Chicago is much bigger stretching far into the endless flatlands of the Tri-State areas.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:59 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
How does Athens look much bigger than Chicago? In area?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:55 PM

Well from the videos I watched on you-tube from building rooftops to helicopter tours over Athens it looked more spread out than Chicago but not as many tall buildings...just had a very impressive size horizonally. Maybe Chicago wasn't right but it does look much bigger than Atlanta which has six million people...just assumed Athens had more people like maybe 10 million or so. I'm also thinking camera's and video's can be misleading too. It's "looks" close to the size of Buenos Aires.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:26 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william273 View Post
Well from the videos I watched on you-tube from building rooftops to helicopter tours over Athens it looked more spread out than Chicago but not as many tall buildings...just had a very impressive size horizonally. Maybe Chicago wasn't right but it does look much bigger than Atlanta which has six million people...just assumed Athens had more people like maybe 10 million or so. I'm also thinking camera's and video's can be misleading too. It's "looks" close to the size of Buenos Aires.
The entire nation of Greece only has 10.8 million people, so it's just how the city was designed that's deceiving.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:03 AM

667 posts, read 940,037 times
Yeah, the sprawl in Athens is really impressive, also because it looks very uniform and monotonous -- the same kind of apartment buildings of the same colour for many kilometers.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:05 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
Hmmm yeah I doubt Athens metro area covers anywhere near as big an area as Chicagoland, considering it's much denser and has 1/3 the population.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:24 AM

Well either way it looks like a city I could I would be happy to live in and even more than that is CAIRO. It is one of my top five favorites...right now I'd say it is number one. The architecture really gets me and was drooling and the sights of the streets, store fronts, shops and all not to mention it's impressive size....I'd be a kid in a candy store there. Don't know if I'll ever get to any of these cities so I get on you-tube and watch videos there...sort of a virtual globe trotter.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:15 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
How does Athens look much bigger than Chicago? In area?
yes, area. The urban sprawl of the Chicagoland area is huge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe