Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 07:01 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

THis is from WikiTravel. If you've been to Malta, which of these things do you agree or disagree with? What were your experiences with them?

Loud, eh?

Malta travel guide - Wikitravel
  • While a bit reserved, Maltese people are friendly, generous, and helpful in nature.
  • Malta is a predominantly Roman Catholic country where faith is an important part of society. Carousing by tourists, while tolerated to some extent, is not looked on very favourably, especially outside of St. Julian's and Paceville. Some shops may be closed on Sundays. However increasingly discussions of sexuality, contraception and other issues are less taboo than they were twenty years ago.
  • Maltese people tend to speak more loudly than the mainlanders, so they may sound like they are shouting at you even if the volume is normal.
  • Dress respectfully when visiting churches and other important heritage sites. As a guide, remove any hats and sunglasses and make sure your knees and shoulders are covered. Some churches, especially those on popular package tours, provide shawls and/or skirts for any inappropriately-dressed visitors.
  • You may be refused entry to a church if there is a service going on that has already started so make sure you arrive promptly if you wish to see them. If you must leave during a service, do so discreetly. Avoid loud or intrusive behaviour in such places.
  • Maltese tend to take politics seriously and they are always interested to talk about ways to improve democracy and good governorship. Many towns have Nationalist and Labour Party buildings which operate as bars and social clubs.
  • It is considered rude to shorten a Maltese name. If someone introduces themselves as Joseph or Mariella, don't call them Joe and Mary.
  • Smoking is banned indoors in bars and restaurants, although many have roof terraces or outside areas covered by a canopy where it is readily acceptable: it may be difficult to tell where the 'indoor' element of the building ends and the 'outdoor' begins. In general, ashtrays will be placed where smoking is allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 02:49 AM

370 posts, read 654,360 times
My friend is from Southern Italy and lived in Malta for a year. He left after a year because he said the people are too closed minded, conservative much more than S.Italy! A few things you posted sounds like how my friend describes Malta.
He didn't mention loudness but traditional and very religious.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:29 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
A bit conservative is quite mildly put. Malta is the Saudi Arabia of Europe!

Old 04-24-2016, 05:23 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Malta is quite conservative (yet not more so than several Eastern European countries). Malta remains the only country where abortion is prohibited, on the other hand it's recently taken several measures towards LGBT rights (i think mostly due to the current Labour government) and is ahead in that aspect of several European countries.

I think traditional conservativism is slowly falling down there, we have a user from there (FlamingGalah although i haven't seen him much on here) so maybe he can give a better answer

Last edited by improb; 04-24-2016 at 05:44 AM..

Old 04-24-2016, 05:30 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times
Bit of advice, if you don't like Mezzogiorno then don't go there!!

Old 04-24-2016, 05:36 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I think traditional conservativism is slowly falling down there, we have a user from there (FlamingGalah although i haven't seen her much on here) so maybe she can give a better answer
flamingGalah! has a penis. And yes, he has a boyfriend.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:44 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Oh, damn i though he was a women all along

Old 04-24-2016, 06:56 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
THis is from WikiTravel. If you've been to Malta, which of these things do you agree or disagree with? What were your experiences with them?

Loud, eh?

Malta travel guide - Wikitravel
OK I live in Malta so will comment on each of the points...
Quote:
While a bit reserved, Maltese people are friendly, generous, and helpful in nature.
Well many are & many are not, just like elsewhere. Customer service in shops is mostly quite bad & you are more likely to get a grunt & your change thrown at you in a shop, but in general people are friendly...

Quote:
Malta is a predominantly Roman Catholic country where faith is an important part of society.
While it is a Catholic country & you will find many people have little lit up 'Mary Shrines' where they leave flowers & have rosary beads hanging off their rear view mirrors, it isn't as religious here as it used to be. Of course there are still many who go to church but I would say the majority here now have no time for religion, the younger generation in particular.

Quote:
Carousing by tourists, while tolerated to some extent, is not looked on very favourably, especially outside of St. Julian's and Paceville.
Hmmm not sure this is true, I don't live in St. Julian's or Paceville (which are where the main clubs/bars/nightlife is) but lots of people drink & have fun round here & just about anywhere else too, tourists & locals. I guess it may be frowned upon if you started having a big party in some little rural village, but I think that would be frowned upon anywhere, not just in Malta...

Quote:
Some shops may be closed on Sundays.
Some are yes, but many are not, again just like in other countries...

Quote:
However increasingly discussions of sexuality, contraception and other issues are less taboo than they were twenty years ago.
Sexuality & contraception are not taboo at all here & the only ones who may have a problem with either are older generation religious types, who are thankfully dying out. Civil partnerships for gay couples were made legal here 2 years ago & the PM is talking about making marriage here equal for all, as recent surveys found the majority of Maltese were in favour of it. Malta was also (I believe) the first country in Europe to make the so called "gay conversion therapy" illegal here. They rushed it in last year as an American who carries out this "treatment" was due to visit here to try & drum up some business... Contraception I don't think has been taboo for decades, it is accepted that it is the best way to practice safe sex & for unplanned pregnancies... The only thing that is still taboo here is abortion, which is illegal in Malta, though a large percentage of the population are actually in favour of it so I can see it being made legal in the near future...

Quote:
Maltese people tend to speak more loudly than the mainlanders, so they may sound like they are shouting at you even if the volume is normal.
Maltese people do speak loudly & when they are having a lively conversation you could be mistaken that they are having an argument, but I'm sure this is the same in many other Mediterranean countries...

Quote:
Dress respectfully when visiting churches and other important heritage sites. As a guide, remove any hats and sunglasses and make sure your knees and shoulders are covered. Some churches, especially those on popular package tours, provide shawls and/or skirts for any inappropriately-dressed visitors.
I only know this to be a thing of respect that you do when visiting churches, I don't think it is expected anywhere else. And whilst it is said you should cover yourself etc.. I have never heard of anyone being refused entry or being thrown out for not covering their shoulders. Also many Maltese themselves find this amusing as many Maltese women will wear revealing outfits (short skirts & boobs popping out) when they go to church lol...

Quote:
You may be refused entry to a church if there is a service going on that has already started so make sure you arrive promptly if you wish to see them. If you must leave during a service, do so discreetly. Avoid loud or intrusive behaviour in such places.
Well this is just common sense & courtesy that you would do anywhere...

Quote:
Maltese tend to take politics seriously and they are always interested to talk about ways to improve democracy and good governorship. Many towns have Nationalist and Labour Party buildings which operate as bars and social clubs.
This unfortunately is very true & something that really surprised me when I moved here. People are generally either 'Red or Blue' when it comes to politics here & they support their party as if they are their favourite football team. It's all very bizarre... The current PM is seen as some God like being to Labour supporters & they will not have a bad word said against him, you can imagine they have photos of him by their beds that they kiss goodnight lol... It is even more hilarious at the moment as their is corruption being exposed on an almost daily basis within the Labour party & the PM's right hand man was named in "Panamagate" & the PM refuses to sack him. One wonders what the PM would have to do for his "fans" to want him to resign? Eat kittens? Kill a child? Morph into the Devil? even then I'm sure many would still love him...

Quote:
It is considered rude to shorten a Maltese name. If someone introduces themselves as Joseph or Mariella, don't call them Joe and Mary.
Nope, not heard of that. But surely if you had just met someone you wouldn't start shortening their name or give them some nickname anyway?? I wouldn't no matter what country I was in lol...

Quote:
Smoking is banned indoors in bars and restaurants, although many have roof terraces or outside areas covered by a canopy where it is readily acceptable: it may be difficult to tell where the 'indoor' element of the building ends and the 'outdoor' begins. In general, ashtrays will be placed where smoking is allowed.
Smoking in indeed banned inside, BUT many places will turn a blind eye to Maltese who light up, because no one tells a Maltese person what they can & cannot do & rules/laws do not apply to them...

Old 04-24-2016, 06:58 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
flamingGalah! has a penis. And yes, he has a boyfriend.
I do & a very nice one at that (my penis, not my boyfriend, he's a ****)

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Oh, damn i though he was a women all along
Must have been all those make up tips & recipes I always post...

Old 04-25-2016, 12:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
OP here, this has turned into a very interesting thread. I wasn't sure how it would be received when I initiated the original post. But, it has been received well, and I'm able to learn a lot about Malta through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe