Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 05:43 PM

202 posts, read 1,076,419 times

Advertisements

We had a black exchange student from my city get stabbed while waiting at a bus stop in russia.
Black U.S. Student Stabbed In Russia - CBS News

Old 08-03-2009, 05:09 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,888,714 times
VP Biden talking nonsense Cold War rhetoric probably doesn't help fostering US-Russian friendship in plain folk either, I'm fearing....

Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 AM

209 posts, read 680,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
VP Biden talking nonsense Cold War rhetoric probably doesn't help fostering US-Russian friendship in plain folk either, I'm fearing....
What did he say?

Old 08-03-2009, 11:48 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,865,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
We had a black exchange student from my city get stabbed while waiting at a bus stop in russia.
Black U.S. Student Stabbed In Russia - CBS News
Thanks for your input sevenofsix

When I was in St Petersberg, I found out that not all Russians can live in that city; there's a complicated (to me) system to allocate accommodation to qualified citizens. In Prague, I learned that people prayed that their wait for a city accommodation would shortened if only some occupants would passed away peacefully and quickly.
I do not see how a foreigner is easing the situation by occupying much needed space. Remember that we in the west have enjoyed continuous prosperity and high standard of living in the last 60 over years.

On a lighter side, UBC (British Columbia) is often referred to as University of a billion chinese. Now that's funny and even the Chinese kids could laugh at themselves.
Now imagine if a local student fails admission in to UBC and must go to another province for his tertiary education, and his parents could barely afford his tuition fees let alone the expenses of his traveling and living in another city.

A few black sheep exist yes. To go there as an exchange student or not is an individual choice.

Some people even see Japan as being racist because every foreigner there is mugshot and thumbprint. But I can appreciate it and I have no problem to abide by their house rules.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:20 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,375,774 times
I find it weird and troubling that Russia, a nation that prides itself on defeating the facist Nazis in WWII now finds itself with the largest number of neo-Nazis in the world.

I bet some WWII veterans there are turning in their graves.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:10 PM

441 posts, read 1,328,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
In Prague, I learned that people prayed that their wait for a city accommodation would shortened if only some occupants would passed away peacefully and quickly.
That's bull****. If flat in Prague is a city accommodation = kind of welfare, it definitely can't be used as a rental or co-living for foreigners.
Nothing is restricting people in Prague to buy or rent their own flat and not wait for welfare from the city (which has limited number of welfare flats, no wonder).

Same in Russia. If you decide to wait for city to allocate a flat for you, it's only your choice. Nothing is restricting you to pay a rent or buy a flat in commercial market. Well, funds do, but maybe St. Petersburg is not a city for them. You should go and explain those guys features of capitalism, they lived 70 years with collective ownership, that's the reason they seems to be confused with a new system.

Oh, so we get one incident in December 2008 when one guy got stabbed. Reasons not mentioned in article. Definitely a racist country.

Last edited by meet4; 08-03-2009 at 02:19 PM..

Old 08-03-2009, 02:16 PM

441 posts, read 1,328,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I find it weird and troubling that Russia, a nation that prides itself on defeating the facist Nazis in WWII now finds itself with the largest number of neo-Nazis in the world.

Do you have some reliable source for "largest number" in the world?

Also, anything from nationalism to far right activism is labeled neo-nazi in political correct Europe.

Poor young people with no future turn to ones which blame the easy enemy (asians, jews...) and make them part of the "force" or "brotherhood". It's common all over the world. Since Russia is poor country, it's more common in poor regions there. No, it's not widespread and rampant.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:34 PM

895 posts, read 2,368,328 times
Moscow Killings Blamed on Racism - washingtonpost.com
Quote:
According to Semyon Charny of the Moscow Human Rights Bureau, there are an estimated 70,000 skinheads in Russia. Promoting an overtly Nazi ideology
Violence 'in the Name of the Nation' - ABC News
Quote:
In a country that lost more people defeating the Nazis than any other country, there are now an estimated 50,000 to 70,000 neo-Nazis, half of the world's total. They even have supporters in parliament.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:30 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,865,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
That's bull****. If flat in Prague is a city accommodation = kind of welfare, it definitely can't be used as a rental or co-living for foreigners.
Nothing is restricting people in Prague to buy or rent their own flat and not wait for welfare from the city (which has limited number of welfare flats, no wonder).

Same in Russia. If you decide to wait for city to allocate a flat for you, it's only your choice. Nothing is restricting you to pay a rent or buy a flat in commercial market. Well, funds do, but maybe St. Petersburg is not a city for them. You should go and explain those guys features of capitalism, they lived 70 years with collective ownership, that's the reason they seems to be confused with a new system.

Oh, so we get one incident in December 2008 when one guy got stabbed. Reasons not mentioned in article. Definitely a racist country.
Have you actually witnessed a racial unrest of a national magnitude?!
Do you think that racist mobs see foreigners living in luxurious residents in exclusive parts of the city are not those who stole their space?
No doubt many were incited by the governing political parties, examples: Indonesia and Malaysia..
Some country even obliterated facts from their history book so that their future generations will never have to learn of their monstrous racist past in WWII.

I’ve no problem to concede that racism exits in Russia and other western countries, but I’m not blinded when individual racial incidents are being manipulated to escalate in to a political arena.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:36 PM

209 posts, read 680,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

Russia (along with many other countries) has a long, troubling history of racial and ethnic intolerance - especially anti-semitism. Even in the pro-Zionist days of the Bolsheviks and Mensheviks, there were a number of efforts to expel Jews from the homeland.

That the Communists were able to gain control does not mean that they were universally supported. Considering tens of millions of Russians were killed in the name of Communism, or by Communists, it's not all that surprising that many have grown to resent it.

Last edited by DrVanNostrand; 08-03-2009 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe