Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:37 PM

253 posts, read 968,051 times

Advertisements

frankfurt, paris, barcelona and london
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 07:22 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
Frankfurt, Warsaw, and London are my favorites, in that order.

Moscow, Madrid, and Rotterdam are quickly emerging skylines, especially Moscow.

Im not a huge fan of La defense. It looks too bland, but its definently putting an effort to change that and it could definently shed that bland reputation within a decade or two.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:30 PM

196 posts, read 458,259 times
IMO, the best skyline in Europe is Moscow, then Paris, then London, then Frankfurt.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Not the best but very underrated.

http://www.google.nl/imgres?q=Benido...w=1280&bih=933

Kinda looks like Panama City.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:00 PM

301 posts, read 521,379 times
Instead of just giving a list I will explain why I've ranked cities in this order

#1 LONDON
#2 MOSCOW
#3 FRANKFURT
#4 ISTANBUL
#5 PARIS
#6 WARSAW
#7 ROTTERDAM
#8 MILAN
#9 BARCELONA
#10 THE HAGUE

London is the best in Europe because of the large number of towers built and under construction and the incredible quality of them. The towers in London are designed by some of the best architects in the world and have great quality cladding and materials, the towers are also taller than all the other eu cities and london has many different clusters, all of this combined to assure londons position and the best skyline in Europe.

Moscow is at number two, just behind London, this is because Moscow is also booming and has many towers under construction. Moscow and London are the only cities in Europe with supertalls, moscow's towers are impressive but not as good quality as London and not by great architects like londons are. Moscow's cluster is very tall and looks better than all the other European cities after London, so Moscow is in second place.

Frankfurt is just behind Moscow, Frankfurt has some great towers with good height but not as tall as London and Moscow, their towers are older than London and miscues but newer than paris, they are taller than paris and better quality too, so Frankfurt is in third place

Istanbul is behind Frankfurt in fourth place. Istanbul has many new towers under construction, including some very tall ones, but not as tall as London and Moscow. A lot of the towers in Istanbul are good but many are poor and look bad, because of this Istanbul is in fourth place.

Paris is in fifth place, paris has a dense cluster but most of the towers are very old and poor quality, they have poor cladding and materials and are designed by not good architects. The towers in paris are also much shorter than the other cities above it. Paris is also not building much and has been slow for a long time now, every year that goes by London, Moscow and Istanbul pull further ahead. But la defense is a dense cluster and looks good from a long distance away but not good up close, for these reasons paris is in fifth place.

Warsaw is in sixth place behind paris. Warsaw has grown very quickly lately and surpassed Rotterdam, the quality of the towers is not great and height is also not great but it is improving quickly and could soon move past paris if it continues to grow this fast and paris remains slow.

Rotterdam are in seventh place behind Warsaw. Rotterdam has some nice towers and good density, the heights are not great but it has a good look so I have put it in seventh place.

Milan is in eighth place behind rotterdam. Milan has suddenly started to build towers, they have come a long way and now have a nice little skyline, the tower are great quality and have good height, it will be good to see how it is in a few years, but it is still a long way behind Warsaw and paris in fifth and sixth place so I have put it in eighth place.

Barcelona is in ninth place behind Milan. Barcelona is very underrated and has a nice skyline, it is not really tall or dense but it does have a nice number of towers so it is in ninth place.

The Hague is in tenth place behind Barcelona. The Hague is beaughtifull, it doesn't have a big or tall skyline but it has a great style and towers that look like towers used to be in the 1930s and 1940s, so I have put it in tenth place.

I think this is a reasoned and accurate ranking and i am looking forward to seeing other people's lists and reasonings

Old 03-12-2014, 08:36 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,947 times
Warsaw is my favorite, and Istanbul is my second favorite. I love how Istanbul's skyline is beautiful in it's own right, but is completely invisible from the old part of the city.

London's skyline , in my very humble opinion, is the worst in the entire world. Whenever I see The Gherkin I die a little on the inside; The Shard isn't much better.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:31 PM

How sweet, good for you

Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 PM

The gherkin and shard have won more architecture and design awards than any other towers in Europe. Warsaw and Istanbul are not in the same league as London.
Frankfurt is also a higher quality skyline and has higher quality towers than Istanbul and Warsaw.
This is a skyline thread so I assumed it would attract architecture enthusiasts, but anyone who thinks that the cheap, old, concrete and plastic high-rises in Warsaw and Istanbul is better than the award winning global architectural icons in London is clearly not knowledgable about architecture or about skyscrapers in general.
Istanbul has one nice tower, the sapphire, Warsaw has one ok tower, zlota44, London has so many towers designed by the best architects in the world that it puts the others to shame.
London is obviously in a higher league than Warsaw and Istanbul, beating them in numbers, height, quality, materials, architecture, density, aesetics, everything really, but you are of course entitled to your opinion and I welcome civilised debate on an open forum

Last edited by Obi wan spaghetti; 03-12-2014 at 10:03 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 02:09 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
My favorites are:

London
Paris
Budapest
Prague
Stockholm
Copenhagen
Madrid
Istanbul
Moscow
Frankfurt
Milan

Old 03-13-2014, 05:00 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Helsinki
Prague
Riga
Budapest
Lübeck
Copenhagen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe