Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:51 PM

592 posts, read 2,810,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I love French fries!
I love french toast...with too much whipped cream and strawberries..

Old 05-04-2007, 03:56 PM

413 posts, read 2,561,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i love Belgian Frites
Try moules frites à la marinière and a big Belgian beer at Léon de Bruxelles which you can find all around France and the autoroutes. The moules frites are à volonté (all you can eat ) Ah c'est trop bon!

Old 05-04-2007, 09:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
The BEST ham I think I've ever eaten was on the autoroute to Paris when we were on a bus trip from Germany, absoultely WONDERFUL!!!

Old 05-05-2007, 12:15 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,935 times
There are millions of Americans who love France, French culture and such. I guess it is the politics thing and other factors that some Americans disdain about France. Plus Americans often hear about how much the French disdain Americans. Anyway, I love visiting France!

Old 05-05-2007, 02:37 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have actually found myself defending Americans to the Brits who really DO have a very arrogant attitude to the US and do not like them very much at all. I have heard so many snide comments about Americans and some really snobby attitude to a country I am extremely fond of.
As for cleanliness , the Brits are far dirtier than the French any day. Believe me I have seen some true horrors in my time... I have been a member of a home exchange organisation for 18 years and British people are the worse.
I'm sure I have now opened up a can of worms but I would really like some input.
It all boils down to a lot of misconceptions often rooted in history. Plus a lot of it goes both ways. Are you sure the Brits "arrogance and snobby attitude" is not aimed at Americans but their countries policies, many of which a lot of Americans disagree with?
As for cleanliness, it's ashame you haven't visited the homes of my friends and family. Clean as a whistle, organized and warm.

BTW: If so many people hate America, why are so many of them trying to get into the country?

Old 05-05-2007, 04:44 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Living in Britain for 18 years , I have heard so many negative comments about Americans being stupid, uneducated and basically hamburger chomping slobs. I still hear those on a regular basis. I think a lot of people in the UK do think themselves vastly superior to Americans and it does really irritate me. "This could only happen in America" is always used as derogative way of saying "we're far too sensible here to do anything so silly" . A lot of Brits seems to think of Americans as spoilt children and it bugs me.
I am indeed sorry not to have been to your friends houses. I would say apart from Scotland where the standards of cleanliness and tidyiness have always really impressed me , pretty much everywhere we have been to has been pretty grotty. Obviously this is a gross over generalisation as I am not implying that 60 million Brits live in filfth , but I was quite shocked ( and still am on a regular basis) as to how people live.

As for the reason so many people want to live in the US, it's a beautiful, vast, fascinating country with friendly people and they have a fantastic publicity machine called Hollywood ! A lot of people still believe in the American dream and still a lot will succeed in making it happen. A lot of people won't but they will hardly have a voice. America is a land where you can re-invent yourself and it is a very attractive proposition. It does not mean it is perfect though and like all countries you should come with your eyes wide open.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:18 PM

I agree, I think it is a gross over generalization.

Living in the U.K., America and central Europe I've heard quite a bit of trash talk about other nations , their culture and their people. Take it all with a pinch of salt and go find out for yourselves.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:45 AM

413 posts, read 2,561,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Living in Britain for 18 years , I have heard so many negative comments about Americans being stupid, uneducated and basically hamburger chomping slobs. I still hear those on a regular basis. I think a lot of people in the UK do think themselves vastly superior to Americans and it does really irritate me. "This could only happen in America" is always used as derogative way of saying "we're far too sensible here to do anything so silly" . A lot of Brits seems to think of Americans as spoilt children and it bugs me.
I am indeed sorry not to have been to your friends houses. I would say apart from Scotland where the standards of cleanliness and tidyiness have always really impressed me , pretty much everywhere we have been to has been pretty grotty. Obviously this is a gross over generalisation as I am not implying that 60 million Brits live in filfth , but I was quite shocked ( and still am on a regular basis) as to how people live.

As for the reason so many people want to live in the US, it's a beautiful, vast, fascinating country with friendly people and they have a fantastic publicity machine called Hollywood ! A lot of people still believe in the American dream and still a lot will succeed in making it happen. A lot of people won't but they will hardly have a voice. America is a land where you can re-invent yourself and it is a very attractive proposition. It does not mean it is perfect though and like all countries you should come with your eyes wide open.
Yeah they think we are spoilt children because they are jealous that we have a higher standard of living and lower gas prices. A lot of Americans are like that with showing off and consumptive culture but so are Londoner brits.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Yeah they think we are spoilt children because they are jealous that we have a higher standard of living and lower gas prices. A lot of Americans are like that with showing off and consumptive culture but so are Londoner brits.
May I ask what you define as a higher standard of living? Thanks.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:31 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Mooseketeer, I read your op. I didn't know we didn't like the French, Most of us have heard that the Frenchmen are better lovers. Hey if you want to talk about people of any nation as a whole, lets make it good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe