Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:14 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGirl5 View Post
I have to agree with the poster, I also think Paris IS very overrated. Ask any American and most of them dream to go to Paris.... Not because of Paris but because they were told left and right about 'how amaaaazing it is, ohlala city of love, etc.' Or google, what is the biggest city in Europe ? First replies will be 'Paris!'. And this is far from truth but hey I see where it comes from - people *know Paris* because its being told about a lot and all that hype... So yes, totally overrated. And yes I was there too. It IS though certainly a lovely city - but the hype is WAY too much for what it really is. Kudos to people who managed to promote Paris that good lol

As in any other big city there are ugly sides along with the beautiful sides. Not to forget also that Paris was not destroyed in WWII therefore was lucky to preserve many older buidlings. And it is very centered in France, meaning, there is ONE centre - Paris. ( that is, where is all the business centered ? paris ! where is all the money? paris! what is the prettiest city in france ? paris! and so on...)

It's sad to see though that some cities like Paris get all the hype while other even more worthy ones are sort of underrated. Paris is not the greenest European city, nor it is the biggest one (city area) and its only 8th ( not 1st) among largest European cities after London, Moscow, Berlin, Kiev...

I didnt like the subway in Paris and tons of hmmm arabs?lol And it is known that 'english' is not welcomed there (logical though but still)... But the city overall I did enjoy since it had some pretty sights for sure. It is not my fave though. Just wanted to stick up for the poster because once it was said 'overrated' people kind of jumped at it although it was not said it is 'bad' or 'unattractive'.

You know, I was okay with most of your post until this last paragraph.

What did you not like about the Metro? It runs every 5 minutes. You are always near a Metro stop. It is quite inexpensive. Minus a few beggars and pick-pockets it seems safe. I loved it.

What exactly is your problem with Arabs? And frankly I didn't notice that many in Paris but then again I live in southeast Michigan so seeing Arabs is not a novelty.

I had no anti-English experience at all. I found the locals quite accomodating. Did you at least make an attempt at French. French people do appreciate people speaking French in France. Go figure.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:09 PM

164 posts, read 568,315 times
Paris in my opinion is VERY overrated, most European people I know (I am from the Netherlands) agree on this. Not only is the city overrated, but I have never met so many rude and arrogant people as in Paris. Barcelona in Spain or Lissabon in Portugal are way more beautiful with a much friendlier atmosphere! For people going on a trip to Europe I would book a flight to one of these 2 places instead of Paris!

Old 12-21-2009, 03:35 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,630 times
Anyway many people forget that Paris is a 12 million inhabitants city and not a theme park for tourist, it does have the issue of similar sized city.

Paris as a romantic tourist gateway is of course overrated, almost all the thing that tourist imagine is not the average parisian life.
On the other way, Paris is very underrated as a big global city...
If I say that Paris is closer to New York in importance than to Roma many people would not believe me.
Look almost all global city ranking Paris is always ranked third or fourth.
If I say that white are often a minority in my bus lines, most people that imagine Paris as an all white city would not believe me.
etc...

I see the Montparnasse tower everyday but not the Eiffel tower.
I never been in Notre Dame, I only been twice in the Louvre (both time with foreign tourist friends)
Montmartre is just a crappy touristy crap to me, I never go here.
I associate more Paris with Rap music than with 1930's romantic french sing.

Paris, for me, is not the city of love but a grumpy, crowded, busy city and that's why I love it.

Quote:
Paris is not the greenest European city, nor it is the biggest one (city area) and its only 8th ( not 1st) among largest European cities after London, Moscow, Berlin, Kiev...
This is true and untrue.
Paris city limit only include the central area, unlike all the other city.
If you take the urban area Paris is the second (after Mosow) or third city in Europe (after Moswow and London) if we take the metropolitan area.

City limit is often not a good way to compare city because the municiplal separation can be very different between country or between region of a sole country.
Taking metro area or urban area is a way better way to compare city.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:06 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
There was a story recently about the French really enforcing the public urination laws. The police were walking around giving tickets to men who wouldn't use the portapottys. The urine started stain the doors,walls and even caused the paint to chip or fade away. They said if you see puddles of standing water around town, chances are, it is a pool of urine...lol

Old 12-22-2009, 02:05 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,379 times
Quote:
I have to agree with the poster, I also think Paris IS very overrated. Ask any American and most of them dream to go to Paris.... Not because of Paris but because they were told left and right about 'how amaaaazing it is, ohlala city of love, etc.' Or google, what is the biggest city in Europe ? First replies will be 'Paris!'. And this is far from truth
the city of Paris is 2.5 million but the urban area is the biggest in Europe by far with 11.6 millions of people. but do you know what is an urban area ? that's the question.

Quote:
but hey I see where it comes from - people *know Paris* because its being told about a lot and all that hype... So yes, totally overrated.
So if I understand, you say paris is overrated because a lot of people talk about him (yes, paris is a male) in a good way ? IMO it doens't make sens

Quote:
And yes I was there too. It IS though certainly a lovely city - but the hype is WAY too much for what it really is. Kudos to people who managed to promote Paris that good lol

As in any other big city there are ugly sides along with the beautiful sides. Not to forget also that Paris was not destroyed in WWII therefore was lucky to preserve many older buidlings. And it is very centered in France, meaning, there is ONE centre - Paris. ( that is, where is all the business centered ? paris ! where is all the money? paris! what is the prettiest city in france ? paris! and so on...)
Where is all the money in France ? yep Paris and everywhere, actually the money the french are able to make is spread over the nation.
France is not the only country where you find just one big city but there is few country with a city like paris and its importance on the world stage.

Quote:
It's sad to see though that some cities like Paris get all the hype while other even more worthy ones are sort of underrated.
Of course you can go to London (no hype for London) , or Vienna of course no ones knows this city, or Prague... prague what ? where is it ?

Quote:
Paris is not the greenest European city,
you have a point !

Quote:
nor it is the biggest one (city area) and its only 8th ( not 1st) among largest European cities after London, Moscow, Berlin, Kiev...
nope you're wrong !

Quote:
I didnt like the subway in Paris and tons of hmmm arabs?lol
where are you living ? in a little city in the middlest of nowhere ?

Quote:
And it is known that 'english' is not welcomed there (logical though but still)...
it's a cliché

Quote:
But the city overall I did enjoy since it had some pretty sights for sure. It is not my fave though.
It had some pretty sights ! lol you know you are really funny !

Quote:
Just wanted to stick up for the poster because once it was said 'overrated' people kind of jumped at it although it was not said it is 'bad' or 'unattractive'.

Coz if someone agree with you it means this guy is right, that's interesting.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:10 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
@ JGirl 5 : you're right on everything, save the size of Paris (metro area) : as caseras says, it is now 12 million, last time I checked it was 11 million, so it is probably the largest metro area of Europe, and growing....GROWING.....growing, at that speed I fear Paris is going to overtake NYC one of these days.
That's one of the reason of the bad quality of life here : this unchecked growth , higher and higher density , unchecked immigration, France remains a very centralized country, which besides being unpractical, is undemocratic.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:18 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
LOL. I don't think this has anything to do with the "minorities" in Paris. I would put it at 10%.
Like I said, I did like my stay in Paris. However, I remember all those "omfg, Paris is so damn awesome" posts. You hear this from nearly anybody. That's why I said it's overrated.

The Eiffel tower was closed when we were planning on going up there. They would only let you to the 1. "etage" (I'm getting better). Although the weather wasn't bad. Just a little snow was coming down.

I paid almost 3.50 Dollars for a medium drink at Mcdonalds. I know, that's not important, but shows how expensive it is. I pay 1.30 in Houston for a medium sized drink.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:06 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,630 times
It is no way 10% a way higher, even for the whole France estimation are higher.
And of course Paris is more diverse than the average France.
Minorities = Non white, including north african and Arab but even excluding them they represent well over 10%. (I said they but infact as black/white mixed races, I am a part of the minorities and I am not unhappy of it )

The reality is closer to 30%, if you underrate the ratio of minorities it is because you only stayed in the Central touristy district.

In the central touristy district are very expensive, so the working and middle class are underepresented (it is those two categories where are the minorities), Secondly a large part of the crowd are tourist and tourists in Paris are largely white.
Thirdly the street now are less diverse than these were a month ago, I don't really know why but more the weather is bad less we see minorities in the streets of Central Paris.

Anyway it is not because Paris has large minority population that it is "overrated", on the oposite the multicultural and multiracial Paris is clearly underrated.

PS: pigeonhole, Paris metro is now over 12 million inhabitants but New York metro is over 20 million, so almost no chance to see Paris overating New York in our life.

Last edited by Minato ku; 12-22-2009 at 07:16 AM..

Old 12-22-2009, 11:25 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
It is no way 10% a way higher, even for the whole France estimation are higher.
And of course Paris is more diverse than the average France.
Minorities = Non white, including north african and Arab but even excluding them they represent well over 10%. (I said they but infact as black/white mixed races, I am a part of the minorities and I am not unhappy of it )

The reality is closer to 30%, if you underrate the ratio of minorities it is because you only stayed in the Central touristy district.

You are way, way, way off.

http://www.insee.fr/fr/themes/docume..._id=0#encadre1

Not the issue anyway.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:33 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post

I paid almost 3.50 Dollars for a medium drink at Mcdonalds. I know, that's not important, but shows how expensive it is. I pay 1.30 in Houston for a medium sized drink.
Did you post this just to ruffle some feathers?

Why the hell would you travel half way across the world and then eat at Mickey D's? If you were on a short trip I can't understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe