Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:30 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,985,911 times

Advertisements

I am constantly super amazed at how many people post here who are on some type of prescription drugs or have some type of medical issue/ailment/shortcoming.

I dont think Ive ever in my adult life had to be on any prescription meds and cant even remember the last time I was sick. I truly in my heart believe that its because I am constantly doing some type of physical exercise (martial arts, tai chi, yoga, weights, cardio). Even when I was a little kid, I'd go in the backyard and lift rocks trying to imitate Vasilly Alexeyev and jumping over things like Daley Thompson or Carl Lewis. This continued on into my teens and into my adult life. Maybe Ive just been lucky with genes because none of my brothers or sisters have been on meds either, but I HAVE to think its because of being active.

Is there ANYONE else here who is NOT on any prescription meds?
Anyone else NOT dealing with some physical ailment/disease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 01:35 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,702,051 times
I guess I'm in that group. Generally speaking, I wouldn't be caught dead taking a prescription medication.

And ever since I learned about (and practiced) exercising and fitness, my quality of life and overall health have increased greatly!

Old 08-12-2010, 02:01 PM

548 posts, read 1,480,866 times
No prescription meds for me... EVER. I can't remember the last time I saw a medical doctor, other than an obgyn. I do see a chiro regularly, exercise, eat well, and all that good stuff. I've never felt healthier and happier than I feel now.

It does seem like most people I know are on some kind of prescription medication... and they're the ones who get colds/illnesses regularly. What's even more sad is all of the babies and children who are on prescription drugs. My kids also never see a doctor and are never sick.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
I'm a physician and I DESPISE taking medication of any kind. Since most of our health problems can be traced to lifestyle and the choices we make, there is a lot we can do to avoid ever going on drugs to solve our chronic problems, whether they be hypertension, high cholesterol (unless it's bc of endogenous overproduction), obesity, pre-diabetic conditions, GERD, etc.

Of course, there are times you can't get around having to take an antibiotic or something. But overall, if you eat right, exercise, get enough sleep...that all goes a long way to help.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:07 PM

Stan4, what kind of doctor are you? Just curious.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
Stan4, what kind of doctor are you? Just curious.
EM. But most of my friends in many disciplines feel the same way. And the kids of a lot docs almost never see a doc...lol...like the cobbler's kids with no shoes.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:09 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,863,108 times
I hear what you are saying, but have mixed feelings about the meds I take except for the NSAID because I have severe inflammatory arthritis from an autoimmune illness plus osteoarthritis from what I am told is life long souvenier of having Lyme disease (from tick bites). I also take medicine for hypothyroid and my doctors found I have a heart defect they say I was born with that I take a beta blocker for. I have mixed feelings about taking the heart med plus its dang expensive even generic, but I get heart palps if I stop taking it.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
EM. But most of my friends in many disciplines feel the same way. And the kids of a lot docs almost never see a doc...lol...like the cobbler's kids with no shoes.
That is great to hear!

Old 08-12-2010, 02:11 PM

Look, when it comes down to it, sometimes you just have to take meds. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Sometimes you just need help.

I'll take NSAIDs from time to time. I just think a lot of people are on way too many medications because they don't want to change the way they live. My father is one of those people. A lot of my patients are the same way.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:12 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,985,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
What's even more sad is all of the babies and children who are on prescription drugs. My kids also never see a doctor and are never sick.
Oh man!! Dont even get me started on how horrible it is when I see kids/babies who are sick and on Rx drugs. I know sometimes unfortunate things happen, but I believe the MOST times you can point the blame right at the parents when you see these poor kids suffer.

I think a LOT of these people who ARE on meds are sick because they failed to follow proper nutrition and they failed to exercise daily. As I have said before in the "What motivates you to exercise" thread is that not only do I want to set a good example for my kids so that they can learn the importance of taking care of their bodies, but also for ME so that I can increase my chances of being around for THEM for many more years to help them grow up.

I really believe that a lot of these ailments that people are taking these prescription drugs for can be eliminated with steady doses of exercise, proper nutrition (NO DIETS), and yoga/taichi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness