Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 05:36 PM

612 posts, read 1,514,099 times

Advertisements

I started implementing my weight loss plans few years back and had to loss 60lbs in total. Everytime I start, I go on for about 2-3 months and lose 10-15 pounds, eat healthy and then suddenly give up thinking that I am losing very slow compared to others who lose 20-30lbs in 2 months.

Last couple of years, I got into this diet habit and I tried every possible diet which promises to lose weight in weeks/couple of months. I did lose with some of them, but couldn't continue the diet and gained it all back. Since I have got into habit of finding shortcuts to lose weight, I have completely lost all the motivation to get up and do some workout. I have tried maintaining little bit of a healthy diet i.e. no processed sugar and less salt and with that I am maintaining my current weight since last 8 months and haven't added on. But I am still to lose 45lbs to reach my goals.

My age is 30+ now and in last 30 years, I never got a chance to wear that short cute dresses I always wanted to as I was ashamed of my weight and was always trying to cover it under big clothes. I do want to lose weight, but not sure why am I not getting that spark back into me to get out and hit the gym. I have become too lazy since last 1 year.

Did you ever fall off the wagon? What did you do to get back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 05:32 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
The best weight-loss plan is one that has no time-limit to it. It needs to be a way of eating that you will enjoy and can maintain without a feeling of sacrifice and unpleasantness and ideally follow for the rest of your life. If you think you can suffer on a hard diet for a certain amount of time and then it will be over, you're mistaken.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:36 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,845 times
It helps if the goal is not about losing weight. The goal should be something that is fun and that losing weight is a byproduct of.

I think completing a Warrior Dash type event is a great start (depending on where you're at) - if a Tough Mudder or Spartan Race (which are more challenging) is where you need to be then pick one of those.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:06 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
I have never had a weight problem, so it's very difficult for me to fully understand what that does to one mentally. My metabolism did change when I was 27, and I quickly put on 20 pounds (to 185), and purchased a Nordic Track from an infomercial and never looked back. Exercise became part of my day after a few years of ramping up.

I've done and tried many different things with diet and exercise over the years. I never followed a rigid plan, but just did things I was OK with. My feeling is if I knew I was at least trying, the body would follow in suit. Now at 56 I'm the same weight when I got married 35 years ago (155). I'm here now and have had fun and challenges doing so. To me fun is the key, knowing full well whatever you do will be a challenge.

Some sort of diet coupled with exercise is the best approach. I find when some people go full on with a diet and/or exercise plan, they fall off the wagon due to its rigidity. Too many guidelines to numbers. If I said you should lose 10 pounds this month (the design of the plan) and you only lose 5, you'd be discouraged. And there's the fail - thinking incorrectly. You lost 5 pounds - that's a huge positive. Work off of that. If you keep positive it becomes self motivating. If you stop comparing the movement of a scale to others, that's a positive. In fact, better not to use a scale often and just go by the feeling of your clothes.

You may constantly be switching things up, but you will be doing something. Just gotta start. Don't force fit into a plan, but use you knowledge of what you know and make something work for you.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:42 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
I started implementing my weight loss plans few years back and had to loss 60lbs in total. Everytime I start, I go on for about 2-3 months and lose 10-15 pounds, eat healthy and then suddenly give up thinking that I am losing very slow compared to others who lose 20-30lbs in 2 months.

Last couple of years, I got into this diet habit and I tried every possible diet which promises to lose weight in weeks/couple of months. I did lose with some of them, but couldn't continue the diet and gained it all back. Since I have got into habit of finding shortcuts to lose weight, I have completely lost all the motivation to get up and do some workout. I have tried maintaining little bit of a healthy diet i.e. no processed sugar and less salt and with that I am maintaining my current weight since last 8 months and haven't added on. But I am still to lose 45lbs to reach my goals.

My age is 30+ now and in last 30 years, I never got a chance to wear that short cute dresses I always wanted to as I was ashamed of my weight and was always trying to cover it under big clothes. I do want to lose weight, but not sure why am I not getting that spark back into me to get out and hit the gym. I have become too lazy since last 1 year.

Did you ever fall off the wagon? What did you do to get back?
I've fallen off for years at a time. The key to losing weight and keeping it off long-term is NOT to go on any kind of extreme diet. Make only those changes you can keep up. Your metabolism slows when you lose weight, and if you go back to eating normally you will gain even more weight and it will be harder to lose. Make small changes - eat this not that kind of changes. Don't ever cut calories and starve or eat only bananas or beans or whatever weird diet fad is popular. Just watch what you eat and read the nutrition labels.

Second, exercise. That's absolutely key. But don't think you have to kill yourself for an hour a day running or something. I am a runner, and I feel so sorry for the overweight women I see outside when it's 100 degrees, running way too fast, wearing long pants because they are self-conscious, and basically doing a workout so hard and unpleasant it guarantees they won't do it again. Start small. Do something, anything, every day. Jog slowly around the block. Do 15 or 30 minutes of yoga. Try swimming, or biking. Try different things. If you don't want to go to the gym, then don't. Get a yoga video at home. If you think every workout has to be a big deal, then you'll never do it. I started out just jogging around the block (about a quarter mile). I started to like it and lost weight, and ran more, and now I can run up to 10 miles. I also joined some clubs for runners, bikers, and swimmers and it's become more social and easier to find people to motivate me to get out the door when I don't want to.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:56 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
Watch my 600lb life!

The best thing to do is to KISS. (Keep it Stupid Simple!)

Food: Eat Carbs in moderation and only consume whole wheat carbs. Eat more fruits and Veggies. If you eat meat, I would suggest eating it 1 to 3x per week. I would suggest a multi-vitamin, Omega 3, and Vitamin D.

Exercise: Weight training, cardio, boxing, muay thai, swimming, dancing, sex, jogging, surfing, kayaking, be outdoors, etc...

Stretching: Yoga and light stretching.

Mind: Learn a new skill, hobby, language.

Last edited by Mr. Ryu; 08-16-2016 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness