Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:27 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
kung fu is worthless in a real fight..............cage or street

any martial art that lacks sparing and top level competitions has been proven to be not effective in real combat. this is why a world champion in competition karate, sambo, judo, jujutsu kick boxing, ect would absolutely murder the worlds most elite kung fu practitioners.
LOL!!

You have much to learn. Much indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 04:32 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I don't have training in martial arts or boxing, but in a street brawl wouldn't the weight of your opponent matter much more than technique? I'm around 140 and i can't imagine trying to parry or fend off blows from a guy who outweighs me by 100 pounds.
Smaller guys are usually faster.

I used to spar with a friend who I outweighed by 80 lbs and I also had a 7 inch height advantage.

I could only catch him with glancing blows.

He hit like a friggin' mule kicks!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Ha ha, of course you don't get it.
i get that you are trying to pretend like you know something when clearly you have no clue.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,024 times
Unless two people decide to "step outside" and fight for nothing more important than ego, many street fights involve one person attacking another before they are "ready." Real street combat also includes the possibility (probability these days) of another attacker stepping out of the crowd - as well as the potential for weapons. If the attacker is aggressive and nasty, the "fight" may be over before the second person has the opportunity to know what happened and mount their response. Given that reality, I would prefer to have strong awareness and cunning, the punch of a boxer and the feet of track star.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:19 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Boxing is superior to all of the martial arts.

Mike Tyson would have KILLED Bruce Lee.
Muhammed Ali limped for a week when testing that theory.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 AM

FYI- This months national geographic focused on Buddhist monks and REAL kung fu. It was an excellent article and a good reminder that there is a BIG difference between pure kung fu and the offshoots of kung fu that look better in TV and movie-land.

Whatever your opinions on the matter it is an excellent article.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Unless two people decide to "step outside" and fight for nothing more important than ego, many street fights involve one person attacking another before they are "ready." Real street combat also includes the possibility (probability these days) of another attacker stepping out of the crowd - as well as the potential for weapons. If the attacker is aggressive and nasty, the "fight" may be over before the second person has the opportunity to know what happened and mount their response. Given that reality, I would prefer to have strong awareness and cunning, the punch of a boxer and the feet of track star.
i think the understanding for a discussion of this nature has to be if you take guy A and guy B and they have no weapons and no rules, what would be the best fighting style for them to walk away victorious. how else would you have this conversation? in reality, not only would i want to make sure i have my gun handy if i got into a fight, i would also like to have the opportunity to punch the other person without them expecting it. im not interested in giving someone an chance to hit me. but thats not for this conversation.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:29 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
FYI- This months national geographic focused on Buddhist monks and REAL kung fu. It was an excellent article and a good reminder that there is a BIG difference between pure kung fu and the offshoots of kung fu that look better in TV and movie-land.

Whatever your opinions on the matter it is an excellent article.
I'll have to look that up.

Another thing people should know (especially those those who mistakenly think kung fu is useless), is that there is a HUGE difference between Kung Fu/Chuan Fa and Wu Shu. The beer drinking, skull cap and Affliction T-shirt wearing idiots who think MMA is the be-all/end-all need to educate themselves on this.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I'll have to look that up.

Another thing people should know (especially those those who mistakenly think kung fu is useless), is that there is a HUGE difference between Kung Fu/Chuan Fa and Wu Shu. The beer drinking, skull cap and Affliction T-shirt wearing idiots who think MMA is the be-all/end-all need to educate themselves on this.
It's the issue with the head shot of a fox dominating the cover.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
who think MMA is the be-all/end-all need to educate themselves on this.
you realize mma isnt a style by itself right? its a compilation of different styles that put together create a more well rounded fighter. for competitors, that means they can have any combination of different skillsets and different striking styles. i just havent seen any of them include kung fu. for striking they are usually boxing, kick boxing, muy thai, maybe something im missing. now, if you suggest kung fu isnt included because it doesnt fit in with the rules of competitive fighting that might be a legitimate issue. i believe krav maga is highly regarded striking style but wouldnt fit in with the rules. however, id think that mma fighters that dont train for competition may be including it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness