Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times

Advertisements

I am trying to come up with a plan and looking for inspiration.

Stats:
HT: 5'5''
WT: 115-120
BF%: ? (I have to get calipers but I think I am too lean due too prominent veins, bone and visual ab line despite not doing much ab work. I am going to guess my BF is 15-19% just based on past experience and what usually shows at those body fat levels)
Body Type:Mesomorph
Fitness Level: Beginner/Intermediate (fell off the workout wagon and need cardio conditioning)

Goals:
WT: 125-135? (aint nuthing but a # to base calorie intake off of)
GBF%: 20-22% (or whatever fills in the veins and smooths bone lines)

Other:
- I like the K.I.S. approach to anything fitness and food.
- I want to avoid getting too fat so I am prepared to take a long time to get exactly what I want. If it takes me a year or two, then so be it.
- Problem areas:
FAT-Tops of limbs, hips, belly (these areas are just where weight gain can go and looks sloppy if its fat instead of muscle or a high fat ratio to the lean tissue that is there)
BONE- Upper chest- I have no muscle there but a chest. I want to put on muscle to have a nice smooth line that extends from the center of the sternum instead of a prominent sternum thats going to turn into a hollow chest with age.
Lower part of limbs- tend to be too tiny just by a smidge unless I am swimming a lot. I don't do that these days and am looking for an alternative to create a balance.

Fitness access: Stationary bike with resistance, treadmill, free weights, weight machine, xbox kinect, internet workouts, netflix instant workouts

Unlimited access: Stationary bike, xbox, (open to purchasing free weights as I had planned on it), internet workouts, netflix workouts

Looking for:
Inspirational stories, plans, and some sort of body model to aspire to.
Is there any fitness sites that have that?

Goal look: Muscular but not thick or too lean. I wish I had a picture of a goal look to share to help out.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 12:02 PM

622 posts, read 3,113,442 times
I'm really rusty, so I won't have the best numbers, so I'l say this...

At first, you can workout the same body parts up to 3 times a week. twice might be better for some, but you may tweak it on how you feel. Ideally, the more you can stress and rest a muscle the better. So if you could do it 3X/week, then do it. After a short stretch of this, you can lower it to 2 or 1X/week when you start really making the mind muscle connection and pushing your muscles like they should be. At this point you will be too tired and sore to do more than 1 or 2/week.

Depending on how many days you want to go to the gym, you can do 5days/week splitting up the body in 2 parts or even 3 parts. If you can only go 3days/week, then you may do the whole body in one workout and do it 3x/week like mentioned above. Of course this would only be in the beginning because soon enough you'll start need more sets, more intensity, more rest, time, etc... and you'll have to split up the body after that.

Personally, because i don't know exactly when I could workout, I don't have a "Monday=chest" day. I just have "Day #1...Day #2" etc... So if I miss a "Monday", I'll just do "Workout #1" on Tuesday and so on. It works great because we all miss workouts and I'd hate to miss a cdertain bodypart for the week or whatever.

I would stick to basic multijoint movents like bench press or Dumbell BP and Bent rows or Pulldowns squats shoulder presses etc... You can use dumbells for a lot of this stuff and keep adding weight to stimulate the muscle. All the muscle knows is that it needs to grow bigger next time to lift the heavier weight. As a beginner, use this to your advantage. You'll be (relatively) weaker than you will be in 6 months, so you will be bigger in 6 months if you keep progressively overloading the bar/dumbells.

There are many ways to add intensity, but adding weight to the bar is the easiest way for a beginner because of their lack of strength in the beginning of a routine. Don't do too much at once. "Coax" the muscle to grow. You don't need to add weight every single week and compromise form. Just keep doing the sets and reps and add weight when you can do them all. Then start over. It's that simple.

Dumbell bench press

Bent rows

Squats

Stiff legged deadlifts

Pulldowns

Shoulder press

You can start with these type of exercises, then add or subtract some as you see fit. They're a good base to start with. If you do only these, and add weight like mentioned above, you WILL grow from it. It really is that simple.

When you get better at it, you can add more movemnts and sets and split it up into more days. Ultimately you may want to do chest once a week, back once a wekk etc... but that down the road. Use this time to your advantage and do as many workouts as you can in one week if you can recover from it. Beginners can do this without ovetraining. blah blah blah,... I'll stop here.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 AM

622 posts, read 3,113,442 times
Any specific questions?

Did I kill, thios thread? The more details we know, the better we can help. The above was just an outline without knowing exactly what's going on. Good luck either way.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:30 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
LOL. Maybe its dead?

Thanks for your suggestions. This week I have to get a plan together and test run some weights to see what I can handle. Where I was working has upped my strength so I know I can lift heavier than what I was doing before looking to revamp my plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness