Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, thats why i havent mixed the nutella into the rotation yet. but if i keep it to the same calories, i can convince myself that its not that big of a deal. maybe after summer. plus, im very cost conscious and my peanut butter costs me from 1.04 - 1.14 a pound and i love it. so to increase my cost, it would take something that i enjoy significantly more which isnt easy to find.

ill go through the weekend of eating:

saturday:
breakfast: 1 cup oats, 2 splenda, cinnemon, splash skim milk
lunch: nordstroms cafe: cilantro lime chicken salad, roll, half of my wife's tomato soup
dinner: peanut butter & jelly sandwich
after dinner: bowl of raisin bran/honey nut cheerios with skim milk

sunday:
breakfast: 1 cup oats, 2 splenda, cinnemon, splash skim
lunch: baja fresh: tortilla chips with mango salsa, shrimp and avocado taco, chicken and avocado taco, black beans, rice (cost me 9.93 for me, wife, and kids meal for daughter)
dinner: houlihans: split lettuce wraps 3 ways, 2 fish tacos with 4 chips and salsa, split caramel topped apple pie 3 ways
While I can't speak for the other parts of your diet, I would still be concerned with your 3 peanut butter & jelly sandwiches per day.

For something which contains the bulk of your daily calories (around 1200 out of 2000 total), it looks like you may be choosing unhealthy ingredients, such as white bread, grape jelly, and not sure about what type of peanut butter.

Grape Jelly typically uses High Fructose Corn Syrup as a sweetner. HFCS is known to be bad, because it is man-made, and the body does not process it the way it processes normal fructose. Read up on the health risks of HFCS. HFCS is one of the reason Americans have become obese in the last 40 years, and many foods have recently started use labels which state they do not contain HFCS.

If your brand has HFCS, then consider changing to a natural fruit based jam/jelly, that doesn't contain HFCS.

You most likely know that white bread is also considered unhealthy by nutritionists and has a very high glycemic index. You might consider changing to whole grain bread, like Whole Wheat.

Not sure what type of PB you use now, but I would also select an all natural peanut butter which is 100% peanuts, and not one with added sugars, etc.
Quote:
my peaut butter cost me about 1.04 a pound at costco. grape jelly .84 a pound at aldi. loaf of white bread at aldi is .79. .
You previously mentioned that you started the above PB&J diet 6 months ago, and you also mentioned that your last blood counts (for insurance) were also 6 months ago, so you do not know the effect your new PB&J diet has had on your blood counts since making this change. This is something to think about.

Last edited by RD5050; 06-28-2011 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
While I can't speak for the other parts of your diet, I would still be concerned with your 3 peanut butter & jelly sandwiches per day.

For something which contains the bulk of your daily calories (around 1200 out of 2000 total), it looks like you may be choosing unhealthy ingredients, such as white bread, grape jelly, and not sure about what type of peanut butter.

Grape Jelly typically uses High Fructose Corn Syrup as a sweetner. HFCS is known to be bad, because it is man-made, and the body does not process it the way it processes normal fructose. Read up on the health risks of HFCS. HFCS is one of the reason Americans have become obese in the last 40 years, and many foods have recently started use labels which state they do not contain HFCS.

If your brand has HFCS, then consider changing to a natural fruit based jam/jelly, that doesn't contain HFCS.

You most likely know that white bread is also considered unhealthy by nutritionists and has a very high glycemic index. You might consider changing to whole grain bread, like Whole Wheat.

Not sure what type of PB you use now, but I would also select an all natural peanut butter which is 100% peanuts, and not one with added sugars, etc. you previously mentioned that you started the above PB&J diet 6 months ago, and you also mentioned that your last blood counts (for insurance) were also 6 months ago, so you do not know the effect your new PB&J diet has had on your blood counts since making this change. This is something to think about.
high fructose corn syrup is sugar. its nothing terrible. white bread is carbs. peanut butter is peanut butter. you have bought into a load of bs.

yep, the blood test doesnt account for my specific current diet. i considered it, and i can guarantee you my blood test today would come out perfect.

dont listen to "nutritionists". they have to complicate something that is very simple otherwise they would have no ability to get paid. what kind of a job is that anyway? diet is very simple. even still, in 1 year you will be back to where you were 6 months ago before you became some kind of diet guru.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 06-28-2011 at 10:44 AM..

Old 06-28-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
high fructose corn syrup is sugar. its nothing terrible.
So you think the researchers at Princeton University know less than you?

You might have heard of Princeton. It's a little Ivy League school in your home state of NJ.

From my previous link:
Quote:
A Princeton University research team has demonstrated that all sweeteners are not equal when it comes to weight gain: Rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those with access to table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was the same.

In addition to causing significant weight gain in lab animals, long-term consumption of high-fructose corn syrup also led to abnormal increases in body fat, especially in the abdomen, and a rise in circulating blood fats called triglycerides. The researchers say the work sheds light on the factors contributing to obesity trends in the United States
Quote:
white bread is carbs.
peanut butter is peanut butter. you have bought into a load of bs.
So all the nutrition researchers that have reported issues with white bread have it wrong, and you know more than they do?

It must be great knowing everything about everything like you do, and never having to rely on scientific research?

Quote:
yep, the blood test doesnt account for my specific current diet. i considered it, and i can guarantee you my blood test today would come out perfect.
Saying it is one thing. Proving it is another.

Quote:
dont listen to "nutritionists". they have to complicate something that is very simple otherwise they would have no ability to get paid. what kind of a job is that anyway? diet is very simple. even still, in 1 year you will be back to where you were 6 months ago before you became some kind of diet guru.
Thanks ... but I think I'll stick to the recommendations of nutrition research experts, especially when they all agree on what foods are best for you, and which foods are bad for you.

And since you don't know me, you have no idea of my future. I have always maintained a fairly good level of health my entire life, and have never been more than 20lbs overweight. Currently I am in exceptional health thanks to my completely switching to 100% nutritious foods, and returning to working out at my health club 4-5 days a week.

But as far as your PB&J diet, I wouldn't expect great results from your blood tests. My initial guess would be high triglycerides, and high blood sugar.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 PM

at least the princeton researchers qualified the results of their research "Some people have claimed that high-fructose corn syrup is no different than other sweeteners when it comes to weight gain and obesity, but our results make it clear that this just isn't true, at least under the conditions of our tests,"

why did he say that? are the conditions of his test different than real life conditions?

notice how you have to rely on the unknown or the distant future to prove anything because today everything is perfectly fine. its like a religion where you believe all this crap on faith.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
at least the princeton researchers qualified the results of their research "Some people have claimed that high-fructose corn syrup is no different than other sweeteners when it comes to weight gain and obesity, but our results make it clear that this just isn't true, at least under the conditions of our tests,"

why did he say that? are the conditions of his test different than real life conditions?

notice how you have to rely on the unknown or the distant future to prove anything because today everything is perfectly fine. its like a religion where you believe all this crap on faith.
All scientific tests have specific conditions that need to be accounted for, otherwise, how could another scientist duplicate the test?

You can't simply state something as factual, unless you specify the conditions that were in place when the test was performed.

Here are more tests on High Fructose Corn Syrup:

Soda Warning? High-fructose Corn Syrup Linked To Diabetes, New Study Suggests

Quote:
ScienceDaily (Aug. 23, 2007) — Researchers have found new evidence that soft drinks sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) may contribute to the development of diabetes, particularly in children. In a laboratory study of commonly consumed carbonated beverages, the scientists found that drinks containing the syrup had high levels of reactive compounds that have been shown by others to have the potential to trigger cell and tissue damage that could cause the disease, which is at epidemic levels.
The Dangers of High Fructose Corn Syrup - Diabetes Health

If you want to wait until the future to see if the HFCS you're consuming now is going to affect your health in the future, that's your choice.

As for me, I'll play it safe, and avoid foods containing significant amounts of HFCS. If it's listed far down on the ingredients list, then I'm not too concerned.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
As for me, I'll play it safe, and avoid foods containing significant amounts of HFCS. If it's listed far down on the ingredients list, then I'm not too concerned.
thats funny, i thought just plain old sugar also could be linked to diabetes. so no shock that hfcs, which is sugar, would also be linked to diabetes. i guess this point is important to you because you consume more sugar than i do, but its not hcfs so you are good as gold.

also, you may play it safe for a few more months but 1 year from now you will be knocking back straight hfcs from a bottle. you will probably be injecting it in your veins. i control my diet, it doesnt control me. i could add/delete anything at any time without any problem.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
thats funny, i thought just plain old sugar also could be linked to diabetes. so no shock that hfcs, which is sugar, would also be linked to diabetes. i guess this point is important to you because you consume more sugar than i do, but its not hcfs so you are good as gold.

also, you may play it safe for a few more months but 1 year from now you will be knocking back straight hfcs from a bottle. you will probably be injecting it in your veins. i control my diet, it doesnt control me. i could add/delete anything at any time without any problem.
Nobody is forcing you to believe in scientific research. That is up to you to decide. But your own health will depend on your decision.

My diet is completely under my control as well, and I have absolutely no idea of what would make you think otherwise? You act as if you somehow know me, which is totally ridiculous, which makes your statements about me complete nonsense. THAT is the best you can come up with?

Yes, I eat fruit and vegetables each day, in quantities recommended by nutritionists.

I also do not eat any cake, pie, cookies, ice cream, or anything made with large quantities of refined sugar. I do not drink soda or any types of sugary drinks, other than 100% natural fruit juice, such as apple juice and orange juice.

The changes I made to my diet and exercise 6 months ago are permanent. I am not doing it just to lose weight. I will also continue to add additional healthy food choices to my daily menu as I continue learn more information about different foods.

So if you want to believe your personal diet of 3 PB&J sandwiches each day made with cheap grape jelly on cheap white bread is healthy for you ... well, good luck with that!

Last edited by RD5050; 06-28-2011 at 06:37 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
The changes I made to my diet and exercise 6 months ago are permanent.
permanent for maybe another 4 months id guess.

its funny, 6+ months ago you were eating all kinds of crap according to you. but now all the sudden you are believing the "nutritionists" and "scientific research." its a joke. you are clueless. all the sudden the cheapness of my food matters. my white bread is made out of flower and is primarily carbs. my jelly is sugar. my peanut butter is a mix of fat, protein and carbs. thats the same as the stuff you eat. your body doesnt give a crap how much you spent on the food or what goofy health notions you have in your head. you are eating carbs, fats and proteins.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:45 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
With all due respect, (and no, I am not a moderator), do you two mind staying on topic? Really not trying to be thread police, but I AM looking for some useful feedback on what others are doing about caloric intake, with their stats thrown in for reference.

If you want to discuss the merits of HFCS, or the pros and cons of the PB&J diet, please (please) either use one of the existing threads on HFCS or start a new one.

Again, I really don't want to offend. Just trying to get some useful feedback without having to sift through 8 pages of material that is off subject.

Thanks...

Old 06-29-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
PB&J diet,
its really not a pb&j diet. its a controlled calorie diet with spaced out eating times. it just happens to consist of carbs, fats and proteins in the form of a sandwich of peanut butter, jelly and white bread. my body doesnt know what those are, it only knows what to do with the more basic components.

i found my lab results. im 5'8 and 180lbs.

glucose: 75
total cholesterol: 128
hdl cholesterol: 39
ldl cholesterol: 75
triglycerides: 66
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness