Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:03 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Would it make a difference if I bike to my university with a backpack on? Winter clothing?
It would make a difference if you got on the bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 06:47 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Quote:
Would it make a difference if I bike to my university with a backpack on? Winter clothing?
I wear my backpack to work rather than carry my gear in panniers. That's just me. The backpack helps keep your back warmer. It also gets sweaty. No big deal to me.

I never get it "right". It's always a little chilly or a little warm. Or even both! I've ridden to work in the morning feeling cold but sweating at the same time.

We all have different thresholds for discomfort. Whether from cold, heat, weight on your back, etc. The best thing is to try it yourself and see.

My advice would be to start slow and lite. Don't try to race to work at first. Don't overload the backpack. You might even just load up the backpack and ride around the neighborhood and see how it feels. If you don't like it look for rack and panniers.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 PM

180 posts, read 335,365 times
Why do you guys keep answering this guy's ignorant questions? He's obviously bored and not even interested in any help.. he's just been b.s'n the whole time.

His next ignorant question will be something like.. Should I carry rocks in my backpack, books or tshirts? The more you know.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,562 times
Quote:
This is a simple follow-up from my other thread, Exercising help

So I am looking to loose my gut. I weigh 180 lbs. I tend to eat a lot. And I haven't exercised in such a long time, I am almost afraid to admit where to begin with the basics. What I am looking to gain besides loosing the gut to just to be in shape but not go bulk on the muscles. Maybe just go for being lean.

What type of normal/average exercising routines could/should I start doing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I run a couple times a week and walk six miles a day (to work and back), unfortunately I also like to eat. My doctor told me to track what I eat and if I do nothing at all, if I consume 1500 calories or less a day I'll lose weight. So far that's working.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:13 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,697,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist View Post
Why do you guys keep answering this guy's ignorant questions? He's obviously bored and not even interested in any help.. he's just been b.s'n the whole time.

His next ignorant question will be something like.. Should I carry rocks in my backpack, books or tshirts? The more you know.
Just so you know, assumptions make you look like a fool. Either that, or when you posted this, you were making a feeble attempt to troll. Either way, you failed.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,581 times
Quote:
This is a simple follow-up from my other thread, [URL]http://www.city-data.com/forum/exercise-fitness/1300044-exercising-help.html[/URL]

So I am looking to loose my gut. I weigh 180 lbs. I tend to eat a lot. And I haven't exercised in such a long time, I am almost afraid to admit where to begin with the basics. What I am looking to gain besides loosing the gut to just to be in shape but not go bulk on the muscles. Maybe just go for being lean.

What type of normal/average exercising routines could/should I start doing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
*None.*

Square away that diet first. /All/ the working out in the world will not help if you "tend to eat a lot" and its mixed with fast food and processed carbohydrates (white bread, buns, chicken wings, etc). Get your eating under control first, then begin working out. Going to the gym while you eat poorly is like pouring bad gasoline into your car's gas tank.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,697,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Stewart_PFT View Post
*None.*

Square away that diet first. /All/ the working out in the world will not help if you "tend to eat a lot" and its mixed with fast food and processed carbohydrates (white bread, buns, chicken wings, etc). Get your eating under control first, then begin working out. Going to the gym while you eat poorly is like pouring bad gasoline into your car's gas tank.
I have started to jog, so that is a start.

You are right on how to eat properly. That I am still working on. For me, its still getting the temptation to eat (as I work around food at my job) and what foods can fill me up well. I'm sure that I'm not getting the proper amount of protein either.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:34 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Stewart_PFT View Post
*None.*

Ridiculous! Not to minimize the benefits of a good diet, but most of us could improve our diet. I never watched my diet until I was in my mid-50s and started to add a couple inches to my waist. My health is excellent and I'm not on any prescription medications. Obviously, luck and genetics have something to do with it. Nobody should wait until they get their eating under control first and then begin working out. Do something today, even if it is just going for a walk. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Quote:
I have started to jog, so that is a start.
So after 2 years of starting two threads you have started to jog... You have asked a ton of questions which a 5 second google search could have provided answers to.

If you can't even do the slightest research I imagine how hard it must be to actually sit down and plan a diet or do some exercise on your own..

Sorry for sounding bitter but this just seems like a perfect example of someone that likes to waste peoples times for answers and ask questions and does virtually nothing.. I can never recover the hours upon hours I have spent over the years trying to help friends, family, coworkers, and strangers over the year that wanted results and asked for help but didn't want to do anything about it.

You should have been jogging since the moment you started this thread.. and eating less.. It's not hard to figure out. "eat less, lose weight" "eat the same, add exercise, lose weight" "eat less, exercise more, lose the most weight."

Whoah.. I just condensed pages of advice into one paragraph. This whole thread seems like a troll attempt anyways.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
So after 2 years of starting two threads you have started to jog... You have asked a ton of questions which a 5 second google search could have provided answers to.

If you can't even do the slightest research I imagine how hard it must be to actually sit down and plan a diet or do some exercise on your own..
He does not even have to. Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness