Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 AM

295 posts, read 1,450,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The ketogenic/Atkins/Paleo diets are only better for the first year or so, and that might possibly be due to the dehydrating effect of such a diet if used in the extreme form (that was in the Wiki article I linked to).
No issues with dehydration with the Paleo diet at all. In fact, I probably drink MORE water since I eliminated additional sodium from my diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 10:43 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Option for someone with BMI of about 45 and type 2 diabetic .
For those of us who know that BMI is baloney, could you translate that into height and weight for us? I have no idea what a "45 BMI" is.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
My H had the duodenal switch to cure his type 2 diabetes. It's the only procedure that cures the disease 98% of the time. The cure is immediate, no weightloss or exercise needed. The weightloss and being able to eat as you please was just a beneficial side effect of the surgery. H was not heavy to begin with. He had the surgery just to get rid of the diabetes.

It's been quite a while now, since 2004. He is still doing great and the diabetes never came back. He also has the cholesterol of a 10 year old. He wishes he had done it sooner!

If I had that BMI and no discernible results from exercise/diet, I would do what my H did. In a heartbeat!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:21 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
For those of us who know that BMI is baloney, could you translate that into height and weight for us? I have no idea what a "45 BMI" is.
Just looked it up and if you are 5' 2" that would make you about 245 pounds.

First thing I suggest is obtaining a diet program or something similar from your doctor. Follow that plan as absolutely best that you can. This will take care of your nutrition intake.

Now, as far as exercising, you ABSOLUTLEY MUST MUST MUST do both weight/resistance training AND cardio. Doing one or the other is not going to get you any results. You MUST do both.

I will also assume that you have a gym membership because of the importance you seem to be placing on your health/weight. I suggest that you get with one of the personal trainers at the gym to learn about all the equipment they have and to get an inital baseline (weight, height, measurements, etc.) of where you are starting from.

Try to hit the gym 3-5 times per week and use the rowing machine for your cardio instead of the bikes, elliptical or treadmill. Its easier for people your size and much gentler on the bones and joints. I say do 15 minutes on the rower to WARM UP. Then do a full body circuit on the weight machines:

Squats, leg extentions, leg curls, bench press, wide grip pulldowns, shoulder press, rows, then situps. Do two sets of each of these all on the machines your gym should have. Make sure you use weight that you CANNOT lift more than 15 times. If you can do 15 reps, the weight is too light. Goal should be 12-15 reps per set -YOU MUST FAIL ON THE 12TH-15TH REP. If you can do 16 reps then you MUST use heavier weight.

After your weight session which should take no more than 25-30 minutes, get back on the rowing machine for 15 minutes. Go as hard and as fast as you can, then take note of how far you row and set goal for yourself of being able to row farther the next time out. Even if its only 1 meter farther in the 15 minutes. This will show that you are not only losing weight, but MOST IMPORTANTLY you are getting healthier/fitter.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 08-24-2011 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: Edited the post weight training cardio section.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:49 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
However the Paleo or Caveman Diet (modified, since it would be almost impossible to recreate perfectly) should theoretically be the healthiest diet of all, since it's basically what the original humans were adapted to as hunter/gatherers for almost 200,000 years before agriculture.
It's not. In fact, the Paleo diets use some extremely faulty logic and the recommendation to avoid dairy and grains is downright retarded with no basis in science. The only thing the Paleo diets have right is the preference for natural meats.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
.and lots of type 2's need to also limit PROTEIN due to exaggerated Gluconeogenesis.
How does that make sense? If your protein intake is not high enough, gluconeogenesis is going to come from breaking down body protein, which is things like muscle and organ tissues.

Doesn't sound like a real good idea to me.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:17 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
It's not. In fact, the Paleo diets use some extremely faulty logic and the recommendation to avoid dairy and grains is downright retarded with no basis in science. The only thing the Paleo diets have right is the preference for natural meats.

And is there a scientific basis that advocates FOR eating dairy and grains? What do I get from dairy and grains that I can't get elsewhere just as healthily?

As I said before, go with whatever works for you. However, in the same way you rail against the Paleo diet for "demonizing" grains and dairy - you demonize the Paleo diet just because of the lack of dairy and grains. What am I missing without those two food groups?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
And is there a scientific basis that advocates FOR eating dairy and grains? What do I get from dairy and grains that I can't get elsewhere just as healthily?

As I said before, go with whatever works for you. However, in the same way you rail against the Paleo diet for "demonizing" grains and dairy - you demonize the Paleo diet just because of the lack of dairy and grains. What am I missing without those two food groups?
I fail to see what your argument is here. Are you saying that just because those nutrients can be obtained elsewhere that it's appropriate for the Paleo dieters to argue against eating them using claims completely unsupported by science?

And just to be clear, my problem with the Paleo diet is NOT based on it's avoidance of dairy. I have a problem with the logically and scientifically bankrupt reasoning for that avoidance. I hate psuedoscience and that is what the Paleo diet is at its core.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:17 PM

295 posts, read 1,450,498 times
Quote:
Quote:
I fail to see what your argument is here. Are you saying that just because those nutrients can be obtained elsewhere that it's appropriate for the Paleo dieters to argue against eating them using claims completely unsupported by science?

And just to be clear, my problem with the Paleo diet is NOT based on it's avoidance of dairy. I have a problem with the logically and scientifically bankrupt reasoning for that avoidance. I hate psuedoscience and that is what the Paleo diet is at its core.
Are you just here to stir the pot Bosco??
I can only speculate that you have never read or heard the reasons why the Paleo diet eliminates grains and dairy (poor sources of vitamins and minerals, high-glycemic loads for grains, high saturated fat content and high acid content for dairy). Your comments are pretty negative without any sense as to what qualifies you to make your judgements.

You can call it a pseudoscience all you want to, but a fairly large number of scientific and medical studies have been conducted on the affects of grain and dairy on adult humans. As with ANY science, there are always new discoveries that alter the results (eggs are good, eggs are bad, the yolks are bad but the whites are good...).

If you have something to back up your claims as to why it is logically and scientifically bankrupt, I would love to see it posted here.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyfly View Post
Are you just here to stir the pot Bosco??
I can only speculate that you have never read or heard the reasons why the Paleo diet eliminates grains and dairy (poor sources of vitamins and minerals, high-glycemic loads for grains, high saturated fat content and high acid content for dairy). Your comments are pretty negative without any sense as to what qualifies you to make your judgements.
Stir the pot? Absolutely not. In case you haven't noticed, I put a fairly high premium on factual information and helping people, so the notion that I'd take a stance just to aggravate a certain group is pretty laughable. That said, the Paleo/Crossfit cultists have a tendency to get their panties in a bunch when the inherent limitations and flaws in their systems are called out on the carpet, so it might seem that way.

Also, I have actually done a solid amount of reading on the Paleo diet, including works done by its supporters and opponents, so I don't base my arguments on ignorance.

Quote:
You can call it a pseudoscience all you want to, but a fairly large number of scientific and medical studies have been conducted on the affects of grain and dairy on adult humans. As with ANY science, there are always new discoveries that alter the results (eggs are good, eggs are bad, the yolks are bad but the whites are good...).

If you have something to back up your claims as to why it is logically and scientifically bankrupt, I would love to see it posted here.
Just curious, but since the Paleo diets are pushing the avoidance of dairy and grains, shouldn't the burden be on them to show us real scientific basis for these claims...something they have NEVER been able to do without resorting to cherry picking?

Anyways, just for the hell of it, I'll play along.

Emma-Leigh, Doctor and Fitness freak, gives a great overview of the benefits of dairy with supporting evidence. Read the whole thread, including links to the other topics. For those who cut out dairy...what about calcium? - Bodybuilding.com Forums

...and again here. Substitute for Dairy? - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Alan Aragon lays the smack down on those with milk-phobia, including calling out the junk science used in the anti-dairy claims.

Question about dairy - Bodybuilding.com Forums

And here...although quoted in the above link. http://thefitnessinsider.menshealth.com/2007/05/if_you_were_at_.html (broken link)

A couple more good posts by Alan. dairy is bad for you?- articles needed - Bodybuilding.com Forums

I could go on and I have a similar set of info on grains bookmarked on my home computer that I can show you as well, but lets see how you deal with these first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness