Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
tommy, do you realize it's physically impossible to do 94 pushups in a minute doing a true pushup? Ive even got the BS flag at half mast on the 75 situps, if done properly. With pushups, that's 1 rep every .64 seconds, which with proper technique is pretty much impossible(chest kissing the ground on the down, arms locked out in planche, rigid planche). i dont doubt your other claims since i know you are big into lifting, but this delves into the realm of impossibility if proper form is done.
Well, for the Air Force PT test, my elbows just need to hit parallel. I was at the same speed doing pushups at 94 as I was at pushup 1. AF situps are done when shoulders hit the ground and elbows touch anywhere on the leg.

I don't expect you or anyone else to believe it. They are just pushups and sit ups anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
What I have noticed is that those who focus only on weight lifting tend to have less core strength than those who do only body weight excercises. I see guys in the gym all the time who can bench 300+ yet cant complete 3-5 pullups.
300+ means nothing if: a) he is not hitting depth or b) he is 225 pounds.

I am 138, my competition bench is 270 and I can do about 15-20 strict pull ups.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:01 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,532 times
I don't do anything but bodyweight excercises. It's total and complete freedom. As long as I can find a place to hang, no matter where I am, I can work out.

I don't think I'll ever touch a weight again.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
I see guys all the time around 185lbs bust out 10-15reps of pullups although they are a lean not bulky 185. I've also seen huge guys nearly pass out after just 10 minutes on an elliptical. I myself try to do a combo of both weight and bodyweight training mixed with cardio. Never saw the sense in being massively built if you cant even run 2 city blocks or throw more than 6-7 punches without becoming winded.
The sense is if the person's goal is to be massively built (vanity), or just lift as much as possible (not concerned with vanity).

Just as the same criticism can be said of a marathon runner (real example); I see no sense in being able to run for miles and miles, yet not even being able to do a BW bench, or a 2x BW deadlift.

This is why my first post stated about goals, everyone has a different goal.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
What I have noticed is that those who focus only on weight lifting tend to have less core strength than those who do only body weight excercises. I see guys in the gym all the time who can bench 300+ yet cant complete 3-5 pullups.
Someone who does a real strength program has plenty of core strength.

Depends on the person's BW. if the person is 150lbs throwing up 300 on the bench, he can do more than 3-5 pull ups. If a person weighs 300lbs, his bench is sorry in relative terms, and most likely weighs too much to do a pull up, though he has plenty of strength relative to many others.

I have seen people do 10 pull ups, yet not even do their BW bench.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
My workouts include both types of exercise. I find it to be a good mix, although, the bodyweight exercises are much more difficult for me.

No bench pressing until you can do a few "correct" dips! You got to be kidding! Thank god my trainers do not have these same views. And since there are so many different variations of push-ups, who would determine which variation is the correct one? Also, people with injuries or post-surgery, like me, are going to have a greater difficulty doing bodyweight exercises. There are far more modifications with weight training than bodyweight training, and I'd personally rather be training, then struggling with perfecting a dip before I could move on to the bench press. I started with my current gym/training program 5 months ago, and I still struggle with a "proper" dip...I'm probably not even doing a "proper" dip, but I'm making progress, and I'm making fantastic gains in my weight lifting, and even using proper form.

The more I read on these forums & elsewhere, the more I appreciate my gym/trainers.
Outside an injury or obesity, you should be able to do a dip after five months of training.

Everyone encounters newbie gains, this is not something special or as a result of a program.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Someone who does a real strength program has plenty of core strength.

Depends on the person's BW. if the person is 150lbs throwing up 300 on the bench, he can do more than 3-5 pull ups. If a person weighs 300lbs, his bench is sorry in relative terms, and most likely weighs too much to do a pull up, though he has plenty of strength relative to many others.

I have seen people do 10 pull ups, yet not even do their BW bench.
This has not been my experience at numerous gyms over the past few decades. I see everyone working on their bench press but very few working on pull-ups. I agree that the 150 lb. person who can bench 300, can probably do at least 10 pull-ups.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
This has not been my experience at numerous gyms over the past few decades. I see everyone working on their bench press but very few working on pull-ups. I agree that the 150 lb. person who can bench 300, can probably do at least 10 pull-ups.
Most people don't press correctly.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:49 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Well to clarify, I was mostly referring to men. The requirements for women would be altered a bit. I don't expect more than 1-2% of the female population to do a dip or pull-up.

Also what I was picturing in my head was a room full of people (men, boys) who had no prior injuries, but were just simply out of shape, weak, etc (like a blank canvas). That's the subject group I was referring to when I said I wouldn't allow them to go straight to weights.
No problem.

The majority of the people in my gym do seated dips. Only the athlete's do bar dips...at least from what I've seen. Only those of us in the advanced (non-athlete) program do pull-ups. We have a pretty wide range of ages here, but I'd say that a lot of the adults have a history of injury. I've had 2 back surgeries along with a couple of other musculoskeletal conditions.

I've been working out for several years, doing primarily reformer Pilates and cardio, but I'd always injure myself once I hit a certain level. It was only after a proper diagnosis and 2 years of Physical Therapy, that I finally got to the point that I was even able to do a heavier workout, starting with bodyweight exercises, and more recently moving into a weight lifting routine.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Outside an injury or obesity, you should be able to do a dip after five months of training.

Everyone encounters newbie gains, this is not something special or as a result of a program.
Yep, I've had 2 back surgeries. And yes, I do dips, but you would probably not consider them a "proper" dip. I don't really know, according to you, how long one would be considered a newbie. I don't consider myself a newbie at all. I've actually been athletic all my life, but injuries and surgeries put a big damper on it, and I could not progress without re-injury.

I think my gym/program/trainers are pretty damn special and so do most of the people who go there. I've been to plenty of other gyms to see the difference. It's ok that you don't think so.

BTW, are you a personal trainer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness