Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:06 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,901,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
You should check that out and make sure you don't have deterioration in that area.(hip)

Moving will make it better though if it is arthritis. Its the getting going part that is hard.

As a food tip you may want to try some tart cherry juice for your condition and look into a diet that is focused on controlling inflammation. Even if you only do it to start it can help get over the pain of starting when dealing with pain issues.
I'd never heard of tart cherry juice before, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 AM

19,127 posts, read 27,743,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Well right now it is 1 degree outside and not everyone in our neighborhood has their sidewalks clear. So I'm looking for options for these sorts of days.

Thanks for the body weight recommendations.
I have skimmed through several of your posts, and think you are simply looking for any excuses NOT to exercise. Or, looking into some cheapo wonder machine, that you can put into your place, and it will do the magic.
Well, here's the wisdom: IT DOES NOT HAPPEN THAT WAY. Like a great chairman Mao said, in order to learn how to swim, you have to swim. So, like others told you - tough, get out and walk fast. Use your body weight and you can do plenty with just that metal thing you hang on the door, whatever the name is. But DO it, instead of coming up with continuous "I do not want to do this, or that". Don't be like my wife, that has full membership paid for at LAF, one mile away, always "wants" to go there, always has "good cause" not to, and goes there 3-5 times a year. Better off, will NOT allow to cancel it, and costs family budget $360 a year money spent on nothing.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 AM

3,990 posts, read 5,184,887 times
I'd recommend a dumbbell set and resistance bands.

The dumbbell set will allow you to do many exercises. You can find used sets on Craigslist or a used sporting goods store like Play It Again Sports. Do not buy the vinyl covered weights. These are usually filled with concrete and tend to break over time. Solid steel plates will last a lifetime. A 90 lb set should be all you need. A straight 5' barbell can be added for even more options.

Resistance bands are great for low impact, high rep exercises. You can start with low resistance bands and work up to the heavier resistance bands. They travel easy too so you can take them with you if you go out of town or if you want to exercise outside in the fresh air.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:09 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,063,787 times
Quote:
Partly because of the time and money factor, I don't want to join a gym.

So where would I get the most bang for my buck on things to do at home....exercise DVDs, machines etc.

Once it gets warmer out again I plan on doing some walking and eventually running..maybe.

Right now I need something to do inside.

Easing back into fitness, not looking for anything hardcore, yet.
The only reason I can think of as for why you couldn't run outside is if there is snow on the ground - the cold by itself shouldn't be a problem if you layer your clothing properly - even at 1 degree F.

If snow is the issue and you are considering buying machines, how about instead purchasing a pair of cross country skis and use the snow to your advantage?

Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,446,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The only reason I can think of as for why you couldn't run outside is if there is snow on the ground - the cold by itself shouldn't be a problem if you layer your clothing properly - even at 1 degree F.

If snow is the issue and you are considering buying machines, how about instead purchasing a pair of cross country skis and use the snow to your advantage?

Maybe the OP has had knee surgery in the past. I've heard from people who have had knee procedures that the cold has a terrible effect on them, more so than before their procedures..

Old 02-03-2013, 11:35 AM

517 posts, read 1,707,114 times
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations.

As far as my remarks about going hardcore, they are based on the fact that I think I have a little bit of arthritis. I also have soreness in my hip and knee that doesn't bother me in everyday life but really hurts if I take things too fast, as far as exercising. It hurts to the point where I can barely walk.

Haven't seriously exercised in a while. Wasn't sure what was out there, things that I hadn't heard of. Right now I'm doing wii fit.

Used to be a competitive swimmer a kazillion years ago....might think about trying that again.
If you have arthritis then swimming is the most obvious answer, because it's easiest on your joints. If you start doing star jumps and squats you'll be very limited in how many you can do before the pain sets in the following day.

Free weights are very effective for exercising, as are bodyweight exercises also. Gym machines tend to isolate specific areas, instead of hitting multiple areas which dumbells do. A machine could be useful if you didn't want to use a part of your body, but all you really need are two inexpensive dumbells. There are so many exercises you can do with them.

Personally I don't like the cost or lack of privacy of a gym, plus the travel. It's not for everyone, but a home workout is a no brainer for me. You might be best advised to buy some used dumbells, and get access to a swimming pool.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:02 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,496,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Except the OP said in his OP that he doesn't want to go hardcore on exercising at this point. Insanity is serious head-banging puddle-sweating hardcore exercise. I'm assuming P90x is similar (I've never checked it out).t.
p90x is not hardcore. As someone with a crappy wrist and knees, I can tell you that the modified movements (which they show you how to do) are still good.

And if you want to see change in your body, you need to push yourself.
You don't have to get crazy, but doing 10 pushups, 5 situps, and a couple of dips a day ain't going to do it.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,731,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

The weather can aggravate joint pain. If you are just starting out running in the cold is a poor choice because of decreased performance that will affect the exerciser emotionally as well as the body being more prone to injury. When you are out of shape and getting into shape the start point and "upping" point are when the body can be prone to injury anyway so why layer another possible reason to get an injury?
Walking would be a safer choice to avoid injury, but your performance will still be affected as you need more oxygen at cold temps.

Workouts should be what you WILL do, not a chore.

Some people have to start slow. If you can only do 5 sit ups this week, that is ok. Do that until it is easy and then add another 5. That is how you get in shape from scratch.
When I say "easy" I mean you can complete the set and feel no soreness at all after the workout and can complete the set easily. How fast it (needing change) happens depends on your body, your program and your diet.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,960,941 times
Quote:
I'd never heard of tart cherry juice before, thanks!

It is yummy! I like to mix it into a berry smoothie. Raspberries, tart cherry juice, greek yogurt, some banana! (And ginger is nice too, or vanilla protein powder if you are that type)

Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 PM

502 posts, read 898,392 times
ZUMBA!!! The DVDs on line are a set of 5 for about $60. Well worth it. Do it every day if you can and it will work:-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness