Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 05:40 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Gina Carano is beautiful. I would not call her muscular, but she just appears to be fit. Not overly muscular, not super soft, just a good visual median between the two. She fits into the "slightly toned" category and is just absolutely hot hot hot.
Agreed. She looks good and you can tell she's fit. Personally I'd prefer a bit more definition and not quite as soft. Just my personal preference. My gf is also a Latina like her but I think more defined and less bulky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 10:54 AM

351 posts, read 492,257 times
My humble 2 cents. You should work your arms the way YOU want them to look and feel. If you are trying to attract a date, you will then attract the person most right for you. Some men don't like their women to work out. Other men love the strong look. I don't think there is an answer that fits all.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:32 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Gina Carano is beautiful. I would not call her muscular, but she just appears to be fit. Not overly muscular, not super soft, just a good visual median between the two. She fits into the "slightly toned" category and is just absolutely hot hot hot.
True .

Old 12-01-2014, 09:00 PM

245 posts, read 317,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
My humble 2 cents. You should work your arms the way YOU want them to look and feel. If you are trying to attract a date, you will then attract the person most right for you. Some men don't like their women to work out. Other men love the strong look. I don't think there is an answer that fits all.
Yes! Embrace your own strength and look, and achieve what you want for yourself. Seeking to appear in a certain way just to attract someone who may or may not be impressed seems rather sad.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:11 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluLover View Post
Do you guys like skinny or slightly toned arms. I just started lifting 5 lb weights again because I noticed I was losing those muscle cuts in my arms and I noticed now they are getting a little muscular but not manly muscular and I like toned arms.
The question doesn't make sense - it actually implies that you don't understand some fundamentals about female bodies:
1) No matter how much you exercise as a woman, not taking testosterone supplementation you will not ever have big masculine arms.
2) No matter how much you exercise as a woman, not taking testosterone supplementation you will not ever have big masculine arms.
3) No matter how much you exercise as a woman, not taking testosterone supplementation you will not ever have big masculine arms.

Read the above until it sinks in... to think otherwise is a load of crap that women's moms and sisters or friends from decades ago bought into and potentially passed onto you. Crap, nonsense, bs, lies, etc... that is what the notion you based your question on is.

You will not ever have masculine arms, not only that, but... you could systematically increase the weight you use in any exercise for any body part... and you as a woman, will never look masculine... you won't get a big chin, grow facial hair, nor look anything like a professional female bodybuilder (they take supplements to get the way they are)! Never ever. Barring supplementation, dehydration, and eating way too little, your body fat won't ever drop so much that you will see your abs or lose your breasts! So... that stated... and I hope that is clear (it's based upon decades of research studies and is a well accepted fact in exercise science ), read on...

1) Guys love fit chicks for the most part - my friends and I love them, we date them, we love to have sex with them, we marry them, have babies with them, we grow old with them... most of all we enjoy healthy long lives with them lord-willing because they exercise which increases the strength and health of their joints and organs helping them to resist disease and sickness. Women that don't exercise age faster, have many more health problems, and even if they look "hot" when they are younger due to just diet and genetics... the ones which don't exercise end up with broken down bodies when they reach middle-age anyway.

2) Now that you know the truth, get out there and exercise like you mean it... once 5lbs becomes easy... don't just sit on your butt and keep doing it... move up to 7 or 8lbs! When that becomes easy move up again! At some point you won't be able to move up; that is normal and I would encourage you to do different exercises when that happens (hell I would encourage you to do a variety of exercises now anyway).

3) Do you want to know what you will look like if you work out a few times a week and actually push yourself each time (so that you are actually sweating or tired afterward)?... take a look at any of the female athletes or celebrities with hot bodies... that's how you will freakin look!... it's hot, it's awesome, you will feel better and your mind will be clearer.

Skinny is ridiculous to shoot for and toned is a dumb word... what you want to aim for is "fit" - a nice fit and able body that doesn't hurt or have disease. Look at your body in the the proper way... It is an organic machine that adapts to what you do or don't do every moment of every day... always in a state of either getting stronger or weaker depending upon your lifestyle. That's why the more you do something the better you become at it, and why if you sit around for most of the day your muscles go to jelly... it's obvious to those of us that open our eyes to what's really happening.

Good luck and god bless... I'm happy you asked your question and started this thread as it hopefully will help other women wake up to the truth as well.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:14 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Lifting heavy won't give you man arms but women can still increase their arm size quite a bit lifting heavy. Lower weights higher reps for tone.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:02 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
The question doesn't make sense - it actually implies that you don't understand some fundamentals about female bodies:
1) No matter how much you exercise as a woman, not taking testosterone supplementation you will not ever have big masculine arms.
2) No matter how much you exercise as a woman, not taking testosterone supplementation you will not ever have big masculine arms.
3) No matter how much you exercise as a woman, not taking testosterone supplementation you will not ever have big masculine arms.

Read the above until it sinks in... to think otherwise is a load of crap that women's moms and sisters or friends from decades ago bought into and potentially passed onto you. Crap, nonsense, bs, lies, etc... that is what the notion you based your question on is.

You will not ever have masculine arms, not only that, but... you could systematically increase the weight you use in any exercise for any body part... and you as a woman, will never look masculine... you won't get a big chin, grow facial hair, nor look anything like a professional female bodybuilder (they take supplements to get the way they are)! Never ever. Barring supplementation, dehydration, and eating way too little, your body fat won't ever drop so much that you will see your abs or lose your breasts! So... that stated... and I hope that is clear (it's based upon decades of research studies and is a well accepted fact in exercise science ), read on...

1) Guys love fit chicks for the most part - my friends and I love them, we date them, we love to have sex with them, we marry them, have babies with them, we grow old with them... most of all we enjoy healthy long lives with them lord-willing because they exercise which increases the strength and health of their joints and organs helping them to resist disease and sickness. Women that don't exercise age faster, have many more health problems, and even if they look "hot" when they are younger due to just diet and genetics... the ones which don't exercise end up with broken down bodies when they reach middle-age anyway.

2) Now that you know the truth, get out there and exercise like you mean it... once 5lbs becomes easy... don't just sit on your butt and keep doing it... move up to 7 or 8lbs! When that becomes easy move up again! At some point you won't be able to move up; that is normal and I would encourage you to do different exercises when that happens (hell I would encourage you to do a variety of exercises now anyway).

3) Do you want to know what you will look like if you work out a few times a week and actually push yourself each time (so that you are actually sweating or tired afterward)?... take a look at any of the female athletes or celebrities with hot bodies... that's how you will freakin look!... it's hot, it's awesome, you will feel better and your mind will be clearer.

Skinny is ridiculous to shoot for and toned is a dumb word... what you want to aim for is "fit" - a nice fit and able body that doesn't hurt or have disease. Look at your body in the the proper way... It is an organic machine that adapts to what you do or don't do every moment of every day... always in a state of either getting stronger or weaker depending upon your lifestyle. That's why the more you do something the better you become at it, and why if you sit around for most of the day your muscles go to jelly... it's obvious to those of us that open our eyes to what's really happening.

Good luck and god bless... I'm happy you asked your question and started this thread as it hopefully will help other women wake up to the truth as well.
This could not be paraphrased any better. Women who think they will get "too muscular" is a joke, especially upper body.

Like I mentioned earlier. I am a pretty solid guy at 5'10 and 215 with around 12% BF. My gf is 5'1, 115, and around 16% BF or so. We do the EXACT same exercises. Same reps, same sets, everything. She looks like a very athletic, petite, in shape woman. I look like I am about a bit more dedication away from stepping onto a bodybuilding stage and already at the point most woman would call me "too muscular" even for a MAN.

She squats heavy (185x6), benches heavy, rows heavy, curls heavy, EVERYTHING she pushes herself HARD and as much as she can handle. Usually 8-15 reps. Often till failure and then I spot her on a few more.

While her quads may be a bit too muscular for some, most any women that isn't a huge fitness nut would love to have her body and think she looks great. At a wedding recently tons of her family approached her, and family members of hers I had never even met came up to me telling me how awesome her legs are, how good she looks, etc. And it's not like she was ever a big girl or anything. She was 110lbs when we met so it isn't the kind of "wow she lost weight" that everyone noticed, it's the "wow she is defined, balanced, and feminine" type of compliments.

We also get 8 hours of sleep, I eat 6 and she eats 5 balanced meals a day, rarely drink, etc. We actually only lift 3 days a week on top of it. She's been lifting with me for about 2 years, had never lifted before.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:12 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I do think it depends somewhat on genetics, as we have discussed in the various "booty" threads. I am tall and have slender limbs, but since working out for 1.5 years I have definitely developed quite a bit of muscle definition, but do not quite look like a fitness model. I am, after all, 65 years old. But my arms, while still thin have very developed muscle definition and "cuts". My husband actually told me to stop training my arms! LOL I am actually happy with the way they look now and am just trying to maintain and not build them further. I constantly mix up weight exercises, to keep overall good condition.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:18 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Lifting heavy won't give you man arms but women can still increase their arm size quite a bit lifting heavy. Lower weights higher reps for tone.
Wrong, just wrong - Women who exercise increase their arm size when they eat too much of the wrong stuff (and/or if they are on some kind of hormones including BCP's.. or lastly if they started off with atrophied/bulimic arms).

Also, in regards to the ridiculous posts with photos of female exercise professionals and comments such as "ewww" - I am compelled to say: Grow up! That's so rude and not even applicable to anything this thread is about. If you exercise every day for years and supplement your chemistry you are going to have a completely different outlook and experience building your body and yes your results will be atypical. That's obvious. No one was talking about that here. Anyhow in most cases such comments are made by: a) unfit women/girls so insecure with themselves they feel the need to shoot down others or b) guys who just don't get it, who aren't in great shape nor comfortable around strong fit women. I'm not trying to be a white knight here, just pointing out what should be obvious.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:24 AM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Skinny arms are a turnoff to me. Except for the weird bodybuilders, I have never seen a girl with too big of arms. I love biceps on the ladies!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness