Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Will this actually help? I have a lot of client dinners and entertaining to do so drinking is pretty common at these events. I feel weird drinking waters while everyone else is drinking.
It "could", but you have to really consider what kind of wine and what kind of beer you currently drink. Alcohol content and calories vary beer to beer and wine to wine. In other words, if you were putting down 4 IPAs in an evening, and switched to light alcohol white wine instead (< 10%) the caloric value is probably going to be less in the whole bottle of wine vs. the 4 IPAs. A bottle of wine is ~25 oz, or just a bit more than two 12oz beers.

Vodka is lower in calories than beer or wine, so there's always that.

Or you can always get club soda with a lime; looks like a vodka tonic.

Obviously it really doesn't matter what you drink if you are also not eating well, which is more likely to be a factor, than the calories from alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 04:25 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Ok, that’s it… I’ve had it. I’m a marathon runner that runs 35 – 50 miles per week. However, I have developed a beer gut over the past year and I need to get rid of the extra 20 pounds around it.

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym, got it.

Tell me if this plan will get rid of the extra flab:

- Decrease my daily calorie intake by 20%
- Increase my protein and fiber intake
- Start lifting weights to add muscle in my arms, chest, back
- Instead of doing long runs (4 – 6 miles every day) start interval training. I plan on sprinting for 1 min and jogging for 2 min off and one for 3 times

Any other suggestions? Foods to be sure I eat a lot of? Foods to be sure to stay away from? What is the best way to get a flat stomach with an hour in the gym?
First of all, 4-6 miles is not really a long run. The fat-burning mechanism only kicks in after about 30 minutes of running, and depending on your pace you might not be doing much more than that. Try to gradually work up to where you are running at least 90 minutes once or twice per week. If it's at a very slow pace, that's fine. Also try doing some long runs in a state of carb depletion, which trains the body to use fat for fuel rather than glycogen (carbs).

Team Oregon Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by team Oregon
Aerobic glycogen conversion is the most readily available source of energy and the primary energy source up to about 30 minutes of exercise. After 30 minutes, fat has been mobilized from fat stores and becomes a major contributor. There is always a combination of glycogen and fat usage with the relative contributions at any time determined by the intensity of exercise. More intense exercise will tend to burn more of the most readily available fuels, first muscle glycogen, then liver and blood glycogen and finally fat. As the intensity of the exercise decreases, a higher ratio of fat is used. At paces more than 30% slower than your 10K race pace (1.3 x 10K pace/mile), you should be utilizing the highest ratio of fat for fuel.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:27 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Originally Posted by team Oregon
More intense exercise will tend to burn more of the most readily available fuels, first muscle glycogen, then liver and blood glycogen and finally fat. As the intensity of the exercise decreases, a higher ratio of fat is used. At paces more than 30% slower than your 10K race pace (1.3 x 10K pace/mile), you should be utilizing the highest ratio of fat for fuel.
Team Oregon Tip
Basically, this is saying I'd burn more fat walking than running?

Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Basically, this is saying I'd burn more fat walking than running?
Percentage-wise, yes. But then you are burning more calories overall by running instead of walking, so the total amount of fat used will probably be more with running.

I posted this link before, and a sprinter guy disagreed with me. Basically his argument was that more intense running (e.g. sprints or fast intervals) would burn more fat because body will continue to burn it many hours after the workout, due to the recovery process. He had some links to back up his assertion.

I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous. I do know that I can be pretty bad about skipping long runs (i.e. 15-20 miles), and when I do I tend to gain 4-5 lbs. I gain even though I continue with other stuff. I can run 50 miles in a week of tempos, intervals, hills, easy runs, etc. but if I skip the long run I gain weight. I have heard from other runners the same story.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:40 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Ok, that’s it… I’ve had it. I’m a marathon runner that runs 35 – 50 miles per week. However, I have developed a beer gut over the past year and I need to get rid of the extra 20 pounds around it.

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym, got it.

Tell me if this plan will get rid of the extra flab:

- Decrease my daily calorie intake by 20%
- Increase my protein and fiber intake
- Start lifting weights to add muscle in my arms, chest, back
- Instead of doing long runs (4 – 6 miles every day) start interval training. I plan on sprinting for 1 min and jogging for 2 min off and one for 3 times

Any other suggestions? Foods to be sure I eat a lot of? Foods to be sure to stay away from? What is the best way to get a flat stomach with an hour in the gym?
20%? o_O

You took a year (~200 excess calories a day) to pack on 20 pounds of flab. You don't need to lose it in four months. I mean, I'm assuming you're eating a lot as active as you are.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
How did you gain 20 pounds in a year? Did you make some dramatic change in your diet to take some time off training? If everything were the same I would have some bloodwork done to make sure all is well, that's a lot of gain for a year w/o some dramatic change in diet or exercise. If your health is fine, then building muscle, and cutting calories will take that weight off.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
How did you gain 20 pounds in a year? Did you make some dramatic change in your diet to take some time off training? If everything were the same I would have some bloodwork done to make sure all is well, that's a lot of gain for a year w/o some dramatic change in diet or exercise. If your health is fine, then building muscle, and cutting calories will take that weight off.
Yes, I started a new job where we got free lunch and dinner. Even though I ran a full marathon in March, I def increased my food intake.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Percentage-wise, yes. But then you are burning more calories overall by running instead of walking, so the total amount of fat used will probably be more with running.

I posted this link before, and a sprinter guy disagreed with me. Basically his argument was that more intense running (e.g. sprints or fast intervals) would burn more fat because body will continue to burn it many hours after the workout, due to the recovery process. He had some links to back up his assertion.

I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous. I do know that I can be pretty bad about skipping long runs (i.e. 15-20 miles), and when I do I tend to gain 4-5 lbs. I gain even though I continue with other stuff. I can run 50 miles in a week of tempos, intervals, hills, easy runs, etc. but if I skip the long run I gain weight. I have heard from other runners the same story.
Weird. I've found the opposite to be true. I've found that when I train for marathons and I'm running 50+ miles a week (including a long run) my weight doesn't change at all.

Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but it's probably just different for each person.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:07 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Yes, I started a new job where we got free lunch and dinner. Even though I ran a full marathon in March, I def increased my food intake.
That'll do it If you go back to your previous food consumption you should be able to lose all the weight without much effort. It's better to lose it by eating less, but what you plan to maintain for a lifetime, let the weight come off slowly, that's the best way to create permanent weight loss. I am a medical professional, and I see people with weight issues, the worst thing to do is go on any type of unnatural diet in an attempt to lose weight quickly, cutting food consumption too much will slow the metabolism, and often leads to "yo yo-ing" weight, that's not a road anyone should go down.

You should only cut down your food as much as you can permanently stick with. I don't know what cutting 20% means for you, but if it's what you were eating before the weight gain then it will be fine, if it's a cut you can't maintain then I would strongly recommend not cutting that much. Adding weights will up your metabolism, and it's good for your health. Eat good, healthy, natural foods with lots of fiber to help you feel full.

There have been some studies showing green coffee supplements can help the metabolism and decrease appetite, if you are interested in supplements that one might be worth a try.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
That'll do it If you go back to your previous food consumption you should be able to lose all the weight without much effort. It's better to lose it by eating less, but what you plan to maintain for a lifetime, let the weight come off slowly, that's the best way to create permanent weight loss. I am a medical professional, and I see people with weight issues, the worst thing to do is go on any type of unnatural diet in an attempt to lose weight quickly, cutting food consumption too much will slow the metabolism, and often leads to "yo yo-ing" weight, that's not a road anyone should go down.

You should only cut down your food as much as you can permanently stick with. I don't know what cutting 20% means for you, but if it's what you were eating before the weight gain then it will be fine, if it's a cut you can't maintain then I would strongly recommend not cutting that much. Adding weights will up your metabolism, and it's good for your health. Eat good, healthy, natural foods with lots of fiber to help you feel full.

There have been some studies showing green coffee supplements can help the metabolism and decrease appetite, if you are interested in supplements that one might be worth a try.
Very solid advice... it takes a lifestyle change for permanent weight loss and drastic changes almost always fizzle out in my experience. I've realized the hard way that it's such a mental thing. When you do crazy things to try to lose quickly, you create an untenable situation for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness