Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
God's honest truth there...we spend so much time earlier in our lives wanting to "please" men, look the way they want us to look, but at some point, if we're lucky, we realize that means absolutely nothing...love should be deeper than that anyway, and we know it, and we begin to take time for ourselves for our health and just FOR ourselves and not to please anyone else. Also all the other comments are true -- time, taking fitness for granted in earlier years, etc.
Agree. In my young single days (as opposed to my current ones ) was the girl who wound up with a guy who would "beat me up" about my weight. That tactic did not help our relationship. It put pressure on me I couldn't deal with, because I was so caught up in pleasing my partner. I would tend to gain weight from eating and I couldn't stick with the discipline of the gym. It was rebellion, I guess. It harmed me more than it harmed him.

Don't get me wrong, I want to be attractive to men. It's just that the kind of man I want in my life would definitely appreciate my being fit, but would respond to it as a wonderful bonus in a relationship he has found with a woman who can engage his heart, his mind, his emotions, also.

The guy who just wants a mute, docile hot chick on his arm would not be the guy for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:59 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
And those of us who are WAY over 30 can tell you young'uns that the fitness craze is fairly recent. In the 1970s very few people went to gyms unless they were boxers or body-builders. Jogging was a brandy-new phenomenon to the point where people who were out running were yelled at from car windows and laughed at by most people. It wasn't until the 80s that exercise places really started opening up and marketing toward women. Most of us gave it a shot, woke up with painfully sore muscles, and let our memberships run out without going back after a few visits.

We were thin. We could eat Burger King three times a week and never gain a pound. And no one had ever yet heard the word "cholesterol", but that's another story.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:59 AM

34 posts, read 105,483 times
OP have you ever thought that maybe your gym's membership fees are prohibitive to someone in their 20's? I think you will find younger individuals at gym's like Plant Fitness with $10-20/mo fees vs. a $60-70/mo. gym. Just my theory. I drive past one of the $20/mo. gyms and everyone in there looks young, whereas I feel like a I'm one of the younger people at my gym.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:05 PM

324 posts, read 877,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydilla
OP have you ever thought that maybe your gym's membership fees are prohibitive to someone in their 20's?
Bodyweight squats, Push ups, pull ups, sit ups, running are all free. If someone has Internet they can YouTube lots of different ways to get in shape without a gym.

NO EXCUSUES

Last edited by League54; 04-26-2013 at 12:14 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 PM

34 posts, read 105,483 times
I was assuming you were doing your judging at your own gym. If you read my post, I wasn't making excuses, just saying these 20-somethings might not be getting fit in the same place you do.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:34 PM

324 posts, read 877,531 times
@ kerrydilla,

I now see your point.
I am talking about middle class women

Old 04-26-2013, 03:52 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
Why do women wait until they are older (30's and beyond) to get fit and healthy ?

p.s. Skinny is not considered fit. Being lean with muscles is.
Why are you assuming they wait until 30+ to get "fit and healthy"? There are plenty of college women going to university gyms, post-college women in community gyms. Where do you live?

Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydilla View Post
OP have you ever thought that maybe your gym's membership fees are prohibitive to someone in their 20's? I think you will find younger individuals at gym's like Plant Fitness with $10-20/mo fees vs. a $60-70/mo. gym. Just my theory. I drive past one of the $20/mo. gyms and everyone in there looks young, whereas I feel like a I'm one of the younger people at my gym.
I think it's the opposite. I'm 54 and go to Planet Fatness not just because it's cheap but because there are a lot of people my age or older and heavier or as out of shape as I am. The younger ones who are going to the gym primarily to wave their booty around or who are seriously into shaping their bodies go to the pricier places like NY Sports Clubs. Older people who are merely trying to lose weight/tone/remain limber won't use the strenuous classes and don't crave the visibility that the younger crowd wants.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times
"Gravity always wins" ~ Radiohead

Old 05-04-2013, 03:21 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Maybe some younger women are so busy juggling jobs, long commutes, housework, cooking and raising kids that they don't have the time, the money or the energy to spend on self-improvement.
True. And then there's the other 99%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness