Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:08 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times

Advertisements

I just realied you are the same person complaining in the other thread about chin up bars. How many excuses can you possibly come up with? I bet you can come up with more, in fact Im sure you will. You are not immune to the laws of bilogy but apparently you think you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't think it's realistic to eat only 1100 calories a day.

NOTHING works.
You won't know until you've tried.

I managed to do it many, many days, and it isn't that difficult.

The key is to spread out your meals through out the day, and keep the food portion sizes small.

And eat only healthy foods, as I mentioned in the previous post. Avoid all sugary, fatty, deep fried foods.

Limit eating out as much as possible. Prepare meals at home, and take them with you. That way you aren't forced to eat large meals served in restaurants.

Another thing which helped me maintain very low calories per day during my diet period, is I tended to eat almost the exact same foods day after day, with very little variation.

So breakfast would always be a single serving of a healthy cereal with 1/2 cup skim milk and fruit. Lunch always a turkey breast or tuna sandwich on whole wheat. Dinner always 4 oz chicken breast or a small serving of whole grain pasta, with veggies and/or salad. Snacks would always be fat free yogurt, cottage cheese, baby carrots, or fruit. I also ate a tbsp of peanut butter and/or almonds for healthy fats.

So it can be done.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

When I first started to gain and journal, I was averaging 900-1100 a day. I was told by medical professionals to increase my caloric intake. I did not increase my caloric intake until I hit 120 lbs. Increasing my caloric intake did not affect the rate at which I was gaining weight.

Quote:
The key is to spread out your meals through out the day, and keep the food portion sizes small.

And eat only healthy foods, as I mentioned in the previous post. Avoid all sugary, fatty, deep fried foods.
I already do that.

Quote:
Limit eating out as much as possible. Prepare meals at home, and take them with you. That way you aren't forced to eat large meals served in restaurants.

Another thing which helped me maintain very low calories per day during my diet period, is I tended to eat almost the exact same foods day after day, with very little variation.
I already do this, too. On the rare occasions that I go out to eat with my family, I order a small house salad with no cheese, croutons, or dressing (no meat either) and steamed veggies...no oil, no butter, no salt. No appetizers either, and I don't drink my calories.

Quote:
So it can be done.
See above.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
When I first started to gain and journal, I was averaging 900-1100 a day. I was told by medical professionals to increase my caloric intake. I did not increase my caloric intake until I hit 120 lbs. Increasing my caloric intake did not affect the rate at which I was gaining weight.

At 5'6", 125 is not overweight, so I'm not sure why you are trying to lose weight?

According to this calculator, you are already below your ideal weight:

Ideal Weight Calculator

Quote:
Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 130.5 lbs
Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 135.1 lbs
Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 130.7 lbs
Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 129.4 lbs
Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 114.6 lbs - 154.9 lbs

Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
At 5'6", 125 is not overweight, so I'm not sure why you are trying to lose weight?

According to this calculator, you are already below your ideal weight:

Ideal Weight Calculator
I'm not trying to lose so much as I am trying to lose FAT and gain muscle. I want to change my body composition but am not having any luck. I'm about 20% body fat but want to get into the 15-19% range. I want to be leaner, not necessarily lighter. But I would like to slam the brakes on this gain, too. Who wants to be heavy?

Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM

19 posts, read 23,411 times
Quote:

So breakfast would always be a single serving of a healthy cereal with 1/2 cup skim milk and fruit. Lunch always a turkey breast or tuna sandwich on whole wheat. Dinner always 4 oz chicken breast or a small serving of whole grain pasta, with veggies and/or salad. Snacks would always be fat free yogurt, cottage cheese, baby carrots, or fruit. I also ate a tbsp of peanut butter and/or almonds for healthy fats.

So it can be done.
But the atkins diet says eat all the fast food and and fat you can afford. Just make sure not to eat any carbs though.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to lose so much as I am trying to lose FAT and gain muscle. I want to change my body composition but am not having any luck. I'm about 20% body fat but want to get into the 15-19% range. I want to be leaner, not necessarily lighter. But I would like to slam the brakes on this gain, too. Who wants to be heavy?
Then focus on the precise foods you eat.

Make your calories count.

This website has good advice for eating to lose fat and build muscle:

Six Pack Abs The Truth About Eating

To build muscle, you need to lift weights (the heavier the better) and also eat plenty of protein.

Also keep in mind that a muscular body weighs more than a non-muscular one, so your weight shouldn't be the primary goal, if you are looking to add muscle.

Focus more on maintaining a slim waistline while adding muscle. A slim waist is a good indication that you are keeping your body fat down.

A visible six-pack starts to show when your body fat is less than 10%.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:

NOTHING works.
Well then you're just a 125-pound freak of nature, aren't you?

Call Guiness Book of World Records and log yourself in as the ONLY human in the entire known world capable of defying the laws of physics.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:08 AM

19 posts, read 23,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well then you're just a 125-pound freak of nature, aren't you?

Call Guiness Book of World Records and log yourself in as the ONLY human in the entire known world capable of defying the laws of physics.
Why are you the way you are?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:20 AM

838 posts, read 2,525,165 times
Full body resistance training is what worked the best for me. I'm about 6', 195lbs. Was about 180-185 when I was working out 3-4X per week and got pretty strong. After 3-4 months, you can feel the change in your body when doing resistance training, it's not going to happen in a few weeks. I also added 30 minutes of cardio, but did it interval style. For a 5 minute period on a treadmill, I go about 5.8mph for the first 1:40, go up to 7mph for :20 and then run at 6.2-6.4 for 3:00. Repeat 6 times. After a while of doing this, I was able to consistently run about 3-3.5 miles in 30 minutes. I do the same style workout on an exercise bike or rower (I hate ellipticals.)

What I noticed is that once the big muscles started to get lean (legs), my appetite increased. My body turned into a fat burning machine. I didn't change my diet as much as I should have, but some easy rules helped: No fried foods, no sugar drinks, no candy/snacks/desserts, avoid cold drinks. I drink de-caf coffee as hot drinks can help improve your liver/digestive function. If you're drinking ice water, this can slow your liver/digestive system. I also took protein after workouts and when I was working out a lot, I would take some before going to bed. Your body rebuilds/repairs the most when you sleep.

I'm sure that different things work for each of us, but thought I would share what worked for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness